Debit Card Smart Chip issues in Peruvian Banks

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Debit Card Smart Chip issues in Peruvian Banks

Postby tupacperu » Wed May 13, 2015 11:47 am

A little while ago a member of EP had an issue with using the new Smart Chip Debit card. MY new Credit Debit cards are starting to be renewed with the smart chip. Anyone know if this issue has been resolved with Peruvian ATMs? Has anyone been successful withdrawing money from an ATM with the new cards?

Thanks

panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Debit Card Smart Chip issues in Peruvian Banks

Postby panman » Wed May 13, 2015 3:49 pm

I've been using my chipped UK Barclays debit card for several years without problems, other than at Scotiabank. The ATM's regularly said that my bank did not respond to the request made, for this reason I no longer bother with them.
My MBNA chipped credit card has always worked without problem, I buy fuel with it every month and use it for larger purchases rather than carrying cash, yet my MBNA American express card is useless, as was my old Amex gold. Both are chipped, yet I only had success in using them in a hotel I used to stay at in San Isidro, Oh, and someone at a hotel in Tacna, where I was staying, managed to book a return flight to Santiago on my Amex card, yet I still couldn't use it to pay my hotel bill. :lol:
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Thu May 14, 2015 1:27 am

Been using my chipped cards from Australia without any problems. Stopped using Scotia Bank ATM's though because they now add a $15.00 extra charge for withdrawals. I have just finished some renovations in our department and used the cards at many places like Decor Centre, Sodimacs, Oeschle and others with no difficulties. If anything, I think they process quicker than the non chipped variety, but that's only my opinion.
teamoperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby teamoperu » Thu May 14, 2015 5:35 pm

You might want to try the ScoitaBank ATMs now, they seem to have updated their machines/software recently. Do not think they read the chip yet though.
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dave » Sat May 16, 2015 1:01 pm

I always used a non-chip debit card from Wells Fargo (a US bank) at Scotiabank without problems. Then I got a chipped debit card, and suddenly Scotiabank stopped giving me the option of "Other" when withdrawing soles -- just 100 - 500 in 100 soles increments. I asked Wells Fargo to give me a new debit card without the chip and I got the option of 'Other' back, which allows me to go up to 700 soles or enter a custom number like 680 (I love to get the 4 bills of 20 because they are so much more convenient than 100s.) I have no idea why the chip somehow disabled the "other" option at the Scotia ATMs, but it did.

In my experience, chip your credit card and don't chip your debit card, and you'll do best.
DC_20833
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby DC_20833 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Dave wrote:I always used a non-chip debit card from Wells Fargo (a US bank) at Scotiabank without problems. Then I got a chipped debit card, and suddenly Scotiabank stopped giving me the option of "Other" when withdrawing soles -- just 100 - 500 in 100 soles increments. I asked Wells Fargo to give me a new debit card without the chip and I got the option of 'Other' back, which allows me to go up to 700 soles or enter a custom number like 680 (I love to get the 4 bills of 20 because they are so much more convenient than 100s.) I have no idea why the chip somehow disabled the "other" option at the Scotia ATMs, but it did.

In my experience, chip your credit card and don't chip your debit card, and you'll do best.

I am using a Non Chipped Card and Scotia Bank started rejecting the card for withdrawals that were made with the other amount. The matter is now fixed on the Soles side but not on the Dollars.
cargalmor

Postby cargalmor » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:27 am

Been to Peru recently. My Suntrust debit card with a chip does not work at any of the POS machines when inserted. Fortunately I had a credit card with a chip also that worked at the same locations with no problems. The Suntrust card does work though at the teller machines to retrieve money. Like the previous post says do not get chipped debit cards, they just don't work (at least with my bank).
jontul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jontul » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:31 pm

UPDATE: My most recent Bank of America Debit Card had been refused by all Peruvian bank's ATMs due to the latest security chip. The card would function only as a credit card at POS terminals, e.g. stores and restaurants, etc. This began in early 2015. Last week, just for fun, I tried the same card again at a ScotiaBank ATM, and lo and behold, it suddenly was accepted. It seems the Peruvian bank's ATMs may be catching up finally to the new global security measures.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register