Carnet Process

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
clewis564
Gold Member
Gold Member

Carnet Process

Postby clewis564 » Sat May 16, 2015 3:30 pm

Hello, I am currently in Peru on a Travel Visa. I have been looking for work and had an interview but need to obtain a Carnet to be able to work. I am confused on the Process and how long it takes. Some people say to go to InterPol FIRST instead of the Immigration office. Which is correct? How long does the Process take? A month? Can you get a passport photo taken in many places around miraflores?

I may have to return to the U.S. in august to work a year in the area of UX design to get work samples to make it easier for me to move with a job in another year. Do you think it's worth the trouble to start the process if I may leave in 2.5 months? The company in Lima was interested in me and they usually have openings for jobs in my area. The woman said she would keep me in mind for other openings if I obtain the carnet. If I obtain a carnet and have to leave Peru for a year does that affect anything?

Thanks for any and all suggestions ad information.

Chris

mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Carnet Process

Postby mammamia » Sat May 16, 2015 5:22 pm

First of all, if you are planning to work in Peru it is the Peruvian company who is supposed to start the residence visa process by offering you a proper work contract. Only after signing this contract you'll be eligible for a CE.

But I don't think it's worth the trouble if you are leaving Peru in a couple of months and going to stay out of the country for a year. You'll lose your residence status after 6 months anyways.
clewis564
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby clewis564 » Sat May 16, 2015 8:22 pm

Ok, thanks. It was with a technology company so I thought it might be something they could help with. I was told today by an American that companies in Lima don't help with Carnets. I don't know.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Sun May 17, 2015 2:03 pm

A Peruvian company has to help a foreigner with the work visa / carné when they want to employ him / her. They have to sign a proper work contract with the foreigner, have to have all their SUNAT stuff in order, get the contract approved by the ministerio de trabajo and then help with the application process at migraciones. When I remember correctly you can find this as well in the Peruvian foreigners law.

As the whole process is a real pain in the a.., time consuming and quite expensive a lot of Peruvian companies don't want to sponsor a work visa.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register