moving to Peru and finding work

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
miaterrio

moving to Peru and finding work

Postby miaterrio » Tue May 19, 2015 12:44 pm

Hi everyone,
My name is Mia and after traveling to Lima and Ica for a few weeks I found myself enamored with the country and a person whom I was previously friends with. I am returning in March to see if I can't lay the groundwork for living there. I am extremely nervous about being able to find work and want to know what kind of jobs people work other than teaching english. I am currently working as a buyer and set decorator in film and can't see currently how my current skills will translate in Peru as there is not a huge film industry there.
My goal is to have an income of 9000 soles a month as I currently make about 15,000 a month when I do the conversion. I do have a rental property which can provide me with about half of that(the 9,000 goal)
Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to sell my house quite yet because it may be better for me to keep it earning income. If my gf and i decide to stay put in Peru i would like to open a BnB eventually.
Are there any people who have done this?
If so please let me know if you have time to toss ideas back and forth.
thank you all so much for your time,
Mia

Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: moving to Peru and finding work

Postby Sergio Bernales » Tue May 19, 2015 1:57 pm

Sadly, your options are very limited. Unless you're sponsored by a company in Peru, plan to invest $25,000 in your own business, or you marry a Peruvian, you'll find it difficult to get a work visa. Reputable schools, multinational companies and mining companies are the most common employers, although some people also work in consulates, embassies and trade missions.

Those who work on tourist visas are doing it illegally and can be thrown out the country, although it's quite rare. And for those who do work here on tourist visas, pay is either based purely on commission, or for those working in the call centres and English schools, basic pay is is very low. If you're earning 15,000 soles a month now, you'll be probably be earning something like that in a year working illegally in Peru.

If you want to keep your same standard of living, you'll really need to think out of the box if you want to make money working in Peru. But the B&B idea is definitely doable. I've met a lot of expats who run B&Bs and small hotels, usually outside Lima.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Tue May 19, 2015 3:49 pm

having done business both in Los Angeles and Lima Peru, i have learned to be humble when doing business in Lima. even as a foreigner, you shouldn't expect to make foreign wages, especially for your time/labor. for example, profit can be made on importing items, however, the time it took in acquiring it, packaging it, shipping it, etc. profit will be smaller to stay in a competitive market.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Wed May 20, 2015 5:28 pm

miaterrio wrote:
I don't want to sell my house quite yet because it may be better for me to keep it earning income.

Don't even think of selling your house!!! Making even S/.3000 a month is a dream for the majority of foreigners in Peru. I know a few people who can't find a steady job for more than a year, they are struggling to make ends meet. The previous poster was right saying that your options will be very limited. Visiting Peru and staying here permanently are two very different things.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Wed May 20, 2015 11:30 pm

Some people in my extended family here are either looking for work right now or trying to find better jobs than what they have. They tell me it is very tough right now, and these are people with extensive education and skills.

One person has sent out 100 resumes and the online feedback systems say they haven't even been looked at so far, and he says the other people on the employment forums are saying they have had no responses either.

This is just a small data set and may not be representative of Peru as a whole, but from what I've heard finding good employment in Peru is not easy right now even if you are a local. I can only imagine it will be an order of magnitude more difficult for a foreigner.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu May 21, 2015 9:54 am

Finding illegal work, which I would never promote but, would probably be the OP's only option is not difficult. On the other hand, pay and conditions for whatever the illegal job might be would probably not be suitable for most people coming from North America. For that reason I would suggest if you can earn S/.4500 per month income from a property rental you should grasp the opportunity to come over for longer than just a holiday. Live life like a local on that budget just to see if you are still viewing your situation through, what at the moment are undoubtedly rose tinted glasses.
As mentioned earlier, DO NOT sell your home yet. 4500 Soles per month is far more than most Peruvian nationals earn.
I think in reality your current expectations are nothing more than a dream. Needless to say, there's nothing wrong with trying to live your dream, just be ready and prepared to maybe having to wake up. Always make sure you have enough money to go it alone for a while and sufficient reserves to buy a flight back home.
My opinion is not that of an expert, but comes about from having lived and worked here for over 8 years.
Good Luck.
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Mon May 25, 2015 11:18 am

Working freelance (illegally) over the internet at foreign rates might be a possibility if you can do anything like that (web design, writing, etc).

Migraciones do sweeps for illegal workers now and then in Cuzco region for sure, even gringos leading tour groups -- not just restaurant/shop/craft workers. I don't know about Lima. They classed illegal work as anything that a Peruvian would be paid to do otherwise. So you need to be really persuasive if you are really an unpaid volunteer.

Making your own local business might be better than looking for employment with a big company, assuming you can get the paperwork sorted out to work legally. For big companies, there are mining companies, engineering, education ... but what else is there that might pay reasonably? I don't know.

However, I wonder whether the ability to organize projects effectively to a deadline (buyer + set decorator) might make you useful to someone. But to who though? Or perhaps do voluntary work on interesting TV or film projects if the local industry can't pay you enough? At least until you can see an opportunity to make money from something.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Tue May 26, 2015 9:50 am

Sell your house and start a business, this will be the only way to enter Peru to live if you are not getting married to a Peruvian. A Business Visa would be the way to go.

Just sold my home in Phoenix AZ and will be moving to Peru Sept 2016. I am married to a Peruvian, recently became a US Citizen, I will have $4000.00+/month retirement income and we still plan to open a business. Reason being, my wife is bilingual , but even with that finding a well paid job in Peru is difficult and she is Peruvian. We have some business ideas and money, but working a job in Peru is not an option.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register