What makes a good land boundary?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
StephenUK
Silver Member
Silver Member

What makes a good land boundary?

Postby StephenUK » Fri May 22, 2015 6:40 am

I'm thinking about putting some sort of defensive boundary around a small piece of land my wife owns, to deter animals, people who wish to invade and resist fire as has happened in the past. The land is in Pucallpa, but is currently uninhabited.

Possibly a stupid idea, but a low-cost solution I was thinking of is a simple 3 or 4 wire barbed-wire fence initially and then planting shrubs that grow quickly, forming a thick natural barrier which is secure. With the added advantage that it is natural and looks good.

Is this a good idea? What plants thrive in this climate, are fire resistant and difficult to penetrate? Can you buy them in Pucallpa? Is there a plant nursery there?

Any thoughts, please?

panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: What makes a good land boundary?

Postby panman » Fri May 22, 2015 2:48 pm

I can assure you, if the land is unoccupied, nothing will deter people from invading your property if they wish to do so.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Fri May 22, 2015 2:54 pm

panman wrote:I can assure you, if the land is unoccupied, nothing will deter people from invading your property if they wish to do so.

A friend had built a brick wall surrounding a beach-town property close to Lima. Knocked down by the neighbor who promptly began to build. The friend end up losing his property. This was 10 years ago, so perhaps things have improved, but as I recall, he felt pretty powerless at the time.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Fri May 22, 2015 3:12 pm

your best bet is to pay someone to watch it for you. and even that isn't guaranteed
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri May 22, 2015 3:48 pm

caliguy wrote:your best bet is to pay someone to watch it for you. and even that isn't guaranteed

Perhaps these guys could watch it for you which would also give you the added benefit of having many shrubberies on your property as well.

Seriously, paying someone to watch your property and discourage squatters is your best bet.
StephenUK
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby StephenUK » Fri May 22, 2015 4:16 pm

:lol: Hahahaha Jejejejeje

Thank you for the non-serious comment and the serious also, to all. I didn't realise I was so old as to remember the Monty Python film! It really made me lift my spirits and laugh so much just now.

Sounds depressing so far, but does anyone know of plants and if you can get them in Pucallpa? Is it totally a stupid idea instead of a fence/wall?

I take the point that a person watching over is desirable. What powers do this person have if someone/thing is entering the land - do they call the police for help?
StephenUK
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby StephenUK » Fri May 22, 2015 4:18 pm

Capture.JPG
NI!
Capture.JPG (46.4 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
randomperson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby randomperson » Fri May 22, 2015 4:46 pm

land mines, high voltage fence and wi-fi enabled surveillance cameras to notify you when marauders arrive to build and usurp the property so you can watch it unfold in real time on your smart phone
StephenUK
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby StephenUK » Sat May 23, 2015 10:26 am

Seriously though, does anyone know good plants and if you can get them in Pucallpa?

Is it as good or better than a fence/wall?

What powers do a person have if someone is entering the land - do they call the police for help?
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat May 23, 2015 11:28 am

StephenUK wrote:Seriously though, does anyone know good plants and if you can get them in Pucallpa?

Is it as good or better than a fence/wall?

What powers do a person have if someone is entering the land - do they call the police for help?

Sorry plants will not keep people out. We have a 5 Mtr high boundary wall, topped with electric wires and vigilantes. This works for us.
Several members of our family have suffered land invasion and occupation. The police will not react unless there is a court order or an under the table arrangement. Once established, it can take years to remove anybody. We have a problem with group of families, who have built and had electricity, water and telephones laid on. It can take years through the courts or you need to investigate other options.
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Mon May 25, 2015 10:45 am

StephenUK wrote:What powers do a person have if someone is entering the land - do they call the police for help?

The point is that if the land has someone there looking after it, then people will not normally confront them. However a piece of land that looks like no-one has visited for a while -- that means to them that the owner doesn't care about it, so it is fair game. Then they get established and the opportunity to confront them easily has passed.

The other option is making friends with all of the neighbours so that they are keeping a lookout for you and will give you a call in case of trouble. It depends on how high-value the location is, though.

The lot we bought in Huancayo was empty for decades before we bought it, but the neighbours were keeping an eye on it. Even before buying it we chatted with a few of the neighbours, and when we bought it and eventually started digging foundations we had a number of other neighbours come to see what was going on. So the neighbourhood watch was working. If whatever we were doing went against the neighbours' sense of right and wrong they would have organized against us for sure.
StephenUK
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby StephenUK » Tue May 26, 2015 12:57 pm

Thanks to all. I understand. Someone permanently living there seems the best way forward.

However, back to the first questions, what plants are good as some form of deterrent to animals, opportunists and are fire resistant, please? Does anyone know?

Are there plants available in Pucallpa?

Back to the main advise given, how much does it cost for someone to look out for you when you're not there?

Also I understand it is good to get any neighbours you can on "your side".

Thank you all.

Oh, and I'm still laughing at the Knights Who Say "Ni" suggestion!
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Tue May 26, 2015 8:06 pm

just grow native woody/spiny plants of the area, shouldn't be too hard to find native brush for sale cheap.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
StephenUK
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby StephenUK » Fri May 29, 2015 4:10 pm

<< We have a problem with group of families, who have built and had electricity, water and telephones laid on. It can take years through the courts or you need to investigate other options.>>

How can they do this if the land does not belong to them and what options do you speak of, please?
amigorick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby amigorick » Sat May 30, 2015 1:10 am

I live in Iquitos and the climate is simular to Pulcallpa. Bougainvillea might be a good choice. A lot of spines and beautiful flowers. You need to fertilize it to grow fast and it needs as much sun as it can get but it's an option.
amigorick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby amigorick » Sat May 30, 2015 1:30 am

But as said above, if you are not residing on the property you could have major problems. Register the title with SURNAP to be notified for any changes to the title or you can put a freeze on the title change for 10 years. That's what we did plus keeping all of are paperwork for property taxes.

Check out the SURNAP website:

https://www.sunarp.gob.pe/alertaregistral/
StephenUK
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby StephenUK » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:33 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, we must register and pay our taxes as soon as possible. Probably a good idea when we build a house there to build an annexe with it for someone to live there permanently, with no rent, to look after the land and property permanently as we will be unable to live there permanently for some years to come.
tomsax
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tomsax » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:40 am

StephenUK wrote:Probably a good idea when we build a house there to build an annexe with it for someone to live there permanently, with no rent, to look after the land and property permanently as we will be unable to live there permanently for some years to come.

It's a great idea to consider this. This is what many many upper middle class, upper class families do in Colombia where it is very popular to have a "finca" (country house) as well as your house/flat in the city. I visited many fincas like this looked after by humble honest Colombian families who made sure the land wasn't invaded, robbed, and looked after things in terms of maintenance, gardening etc. They would often raise families themselves and it worked very well, everyone was happy and they often cooked for the owners when they came for the weekend.

Interestingly I have not come across this in Peru though this may be because in Peru I have not mixed with so many well off Peruvians. In Peru, having a country house is very much less popular, except for places close to Lima like Chaclacayo which really aren't that far away or really in the country.

I should check with Peruvians and people with legal knowledge why this isn't done more. it may just be a cultural thing. But there may be property law that makes it more likely that such a family like this will suddenly claim possession of the property, especially if there is land associated with the property that they would farm. In Peru there is an old law that "those that work the land, own the land", introduced around 40 years ago and never properly clarified since in spite of some initiatives to strengthen owners rights if they properly register land.
Tom
StephenUK
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby StephenUK » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:09 pm

Very interesting, thank you.

Regarding the legal aspects of posession in Perú of a "guardian", does anyone know anything about this, here in the forum, please?

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register