I have a carnet AND visitor visa...

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have a carnet AND visitor visa...

Postby Dave » Mon May 25, 2015 10:33 pm

I had finished doing everything necessary for my carnet, but had to leave Peru before everything was finished processing. They told me that if I traveled I would 'lose everything' and have to start over from scratch, unless I got this special permission to travel. I didn't do that, traveled, and when I got back they gave me a 183 day visa.

For the hell of it I went today to see if I could still get my carnet -- I was silent about the fact that I had traveled and got a new visitor visa, and they didn't mention it. I got my carnet with no problems.

So now I literally have a carnet AND an immigration card with a visitor visa. Has anyone had that situation or known someone who has? Do you think I'll have any weird problems for that when I leave/re-enter, or is having the carnet the only thing that anyone will care about now?

fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: I have a carnet AND visitor visa...

Postby fanning » Mon May 25, 2015 10:35 pm

Did they put a stamp in your passport that you are a resident, and did they take your TAM ?
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dave » Tue May 26, 2015 12:16 am

fanning wrote:Did they put a stamp in your passport that you are a resident

Yes.
fanning wrote:and did they take your TAM ?

They took my previous one when I started my application back in March. In April I left the country for a week and returned and got another one. They didn't seem to know that I had gotten another one and didn't ask for it today when they gave me the CE.
randomperson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby randomperson » Tue May 26, 2015 8:18 am

Does anyone know under what circumstances a "permiso para viajar" is given? I too plan to apply for CE this summer but during the 2 year waiting period will need to travel back to the US regularly. My question is not about the length of stay but the permiso itself.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Tue May 26, 2015 9:29 am

Dave wrote:They took my previous one when I started my application back in March. In April I left the country for a week and returned and got another one. They didn't seem to know that I had gotten another one and didn't ask for it today when they gave me the CE.

So when you left, you didn't have a TAM, how did you solve that ?
And when you got back you got a fresh TAM, stamped as a tourist, so now you are here as a tourist. You can get a copy of your migration movements in Migraciones, and possibly correct the last entry as a tourist.
randomperson wrote:I too plan to apply for CE this summer but during the 2 year waiting period

What waiting period are you talking about. There is no waiting period. To get your CE might take some months to process, but once you have it you are free to travel. You cannot leave more than 6 months, or you will loose your CE, but you can travel as much as you want.
Maybe you are talking about changing from a resident ( with a CE ) to a citizen ( with a DNI ) in that case you must have your CE for at least 2 years ( and get the prorroga for the 3rd year ) before you can do the tramite for citizenship. But also in that case you can travel as much as you want, as long as it isn't longer than 6 months a time.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Tue May 26, 2015 9:37 am

randomperson wrote:Does anyone know under what circumstances a "permiso para viajar" is given? I too plan to apply for CE this summer but during the 2 year waiting period will need to travel back to the US regularly. My question is not about the length of stay but the permiso itself.

My Step Father died when we were living in Peru and I had to return to Philly, in the middle of applying for my Carnet. I got permission to travel for 30 days under those circumstances. They do put a stamp in the passport for your Carnet. Immigration may have missed it. My very first Carnet I had to travel back to the US for an emergency. I was in the process of getting my carnet. I had to start all over again, upon entering the immigration agent noted I had a carnet.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Tue May 26, 2015 9:39 am

fanning wrote:
Dave wrote:They took my previous one when I started my application back in March. In April I left the country for a week and returned and got another one. They didn't seem to know that I had gotten another one and didn't ask for it today when they gave me the CE.

So when you left, you didn't have a TAM, how did you solve that ?
And when you got back you got a fresh TAM, stamped as a tourist, so now you are here as a tourist. You can get a copy of your migration movements in Migraciones, and possibly correct the last entry as a tourist.
randomperson wrote:I too plan to apply for CE this summer but during the 2 year waiting period

What waiting period are you talking about. There is no waiting period. To get your CE might take some months to process, but once you have it you are free to travel. You cannot leave more than 6 months, or you will loose your CE, but you can travel as much as you want.
Maybe you are talking about changing from a resident ( with a CE ) to a citizen ( with a DNI ) in that case you must have your CE for at least 2 years ( and get the prorroga for the 3rd year ) before you can do the tramite for citizenship. But also in that case you can travel as much as you want, as long as it isn't longer than 6 months a time.

They take your TAM when applying for a Carnet. How did you leave the country without a TAM?
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Tue May 26, 2015 9:42 am

CE process, the updated one, take about 30-45 days. On my last CE it took that long. Interpol/FBI verification.
randomperson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby randomperson » Tue May 26, 2015 10:09 am

by waiting period I meant the 2 years being a CE holder prior to being eligible to applying for eventual citizenship (I am married to a Peruvian). I'm curious about the permiso de viajar during the time I have the CE because I will need to divide my time between Peru and USA and don't want to jeopardize my CE status. What does the permiso do? Under what types of circumstances are they issued?

I share custody of a minor child with a former spouse in the US so remaining in Peru for 6 month stretches isn't practical. Would the permiso allow me to circumvent remaining in Peru for 6 month CE requirement? Are there exceptions made?
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Tue May 26, 2015 10:35 am

The requirement is that you cannot be more than 6 months out of Peru, not that you have to stay at least 6 months in Peru between your travelmovements. As long as each independent travelmovement OUT of Peru is not more than 6 months, you are OK.
You have to have a valid CE when you leave AND when you come back. So if your CE is about for the prorroga and you know you will be out of Peru, you should do the prorroga BEFORE your travel out of Peru, to avoid problems when you return.

( Well I suppose the sum of your stays in Peru must be at least 6 months as well .. )
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dave » Tue May 26, 2015 11:11 am

fanning wrote:So when you left, you didn't have a TAM, how did you solve that ?

I just told them I didn't have it; like the many tourists who lose it, I paid the 15 soles fee and I was away.

fanning wrote:And when you got back you got a fresh TAM, stamped as a tourist, so now you are here as a tourist. You can get a copy of your migration movements in Migraciones, and possibly correct the last entry as a tourist.

So you think the tourist status supersedes the resident status?
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Tue May 26, 2015 11:18 am

Haven't you read the papers, people have lost their CE and were deported without possibility to ever return to Peru and get residency ( while being married to a Peruvian ) because they were using loopholes and were ignorant about getting their papers correct. ( A case of a divorced resident with Peruvian, who remarried with another Peruvian, but never got the divorce registered with Digemin )

If they told you you cannot leave Peru during the application, what makes you think that there will not be consequences ? At some point Migraciones will find out and if they enforce strict, you could get into a lot of redtape problems.

( When I applied for citizenship it turned out for example that on one of my returns to Peru I was accidentally registered as a tourist, and not a resident. I was forced to rectify that entry, before I could continue with the citizenship tramite ). This is an example that errors can follow you back for years later..
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dave » Tue May 26, 2015 11:44 am

fanning wrote:Haven't you read the papers, people have lost their CE and were deported without possibility to ever return to Peru and get residency ( while being married to a Peruvian ) because they were using loopholes and were ignorant about getting their papers correct. ( A case of a divorced resident with Peruvian, who remarried with another Peruvian, but never got the divorce registered with Digemin )

If they told you you cannot leave Peru during the application, what makes you think that there will not be consequences ? At some point Migraciones will find out and if they enforce strict, you could get into a lot of redtape problems.

( When I applied for citizenship it turned out for example that on one of my returns to Peru I was accidentally registered as a tourist, and not a resident. I was forced to rectify that entry, before I could continue with the citizenship tramite ). This is an example that errors can follow you back for years later..

I tried to follow the rules. I knew I would be traveling before I was likely to receive the CE and I even paid the fee and filled out the form for the special permission at the same time as the initial application, intending to submit it at the same time that I submitted the initial application, but she wouldn't take the special permission at that time. She told me I had to come back 48 hours before the day of traveling to do that. She even told me "you are traveling on April 4th, that's a Saturday, so come by Thursday or Friday."

Early Thursday morning I showed up. The office was closed for Semana Santa. I even went all the way to the airport to see if the immigration office there could help me, but they said they could not. He told me that I won't have any problems leaving or coming back (I was never told by anyone that I "cannot leave Peru"), I will simply lose the process of the CE and have to start over again. The CE was approved while I was out of the country. When I went back to Migraciones they didn't say anything about that, even though the agent appeared to be checking my full travel history. They gave me the CE without a problem. I'm not trying to game the system, and I'm trying to make everything right. That's why I'm here asking for information.

It might also be worth mentioning that I'm not planning on getting citizenship, and am even planning to leave Peru permanently (and give up my CE) in just 3 months anyway, and don't plan to come back for more than a week or two at a time after that.
Last edited by Dave on Tue May 26, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dave » Tue May 26, 2015 12:27 pm

tupacperu wrote:My very first Carnet I had to travel back to the US for an emergency. I was in the process of getting my carnet. I had to start all over again, upon entering the immigration agent noted I had a carnet.

When I arrived back in Peru in April I explained everything to the agent: that I was in the process of getting the CE and it had been approved but I hadn't gotten it yet, and I left the country without special permission because on the date they told me to get it the office was closed. She just very casually said "OK well I'll just give you 183 days then so you can figure all that out." Should she have done something different at that point? What did they say to you?
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Tue May 26, 2015 12:51 pm

Dave wrote:
It might also be worth mentioning that I'm not planning on getting citizenship, and am even planning to leave Peru permanently (and give up my CE) in just 3 months anyway, and don't plan to come back for more than a week or two at a time after that.

You should have started with this one. If you are not interested in keeping your CE you don't have to worry about your situation too much. You'll be able to enter Peru as a tourist should they cancel the CE for some reason. But I would recommend that you follow Fanning's advice about sorting out your stamp problem (changing your tourist entrance to PEB entrance) just to be on the safe side. That can cause you some trouble in the future: once I had to have a stamp cancelled (the put a wrong date of entrance) in order to be able to start a tramite at DIGEMIN.
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dave » Tue May 26, 2015 1:03 pm

mammamia wrote:You should have started with this one. If you are not interested in keeping your CE you don't have to worry about your situation too much. You'll be able to enter Peru as a tourist should they cancel the CE for some reason. But I would recommend that you follow Fanning's advice about sorting out your stamp problem (changing your tourist entrance to PEB entrance) just to be on the safe side. That can cause you some trouble in the future: once I had to have a stamp cancelled (the put a wrong date of entrance) in order to be able to start a tramite at DIGEMIN.

Thanks, that makes me feel better.

But would they change it to a PEB entrance if I didn't have resident status at the time of entry? The CE was marked as 'Approved' online but I hadn't done the final steps of paying the 49 soles fee, F-007 and F-007A, whatever magic they do on the computer, biometrics, etc.

I want to leave for a week in June and come back. I don't care if I get a tourist visa and they cancel my CE, I just want to be able to enter the country for another (final) 2 months. Only reason I got the CE is in January 2015 they gave me a very hard time at the airport, saying I can't keep using tourist visas and that I need to get a CE if I am essentially living here. I would have otherwise been perfectly fine just getting tourist visas until August 2015.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Tue May 26, 2015 1:12 pm

In that case, why don't you cancel your CE just before your trip in June, and when you return you return as a tourist until finally leaving for good in August ? In that way you would not have to worry about if your CE is valid or not, because you cancelled it yourself..
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dave » Tue May 26, 2015 1:24 pm

fanning wrote:In that case, why don't you cancel your CE just before your trip in June, and when you return you return as a tourist until finally leaving for good in August ? In that way you would not have to worry about if your CE is valid or not, because you cancelled it yourself..

That would be fine; when you cancel your CE do they give you a new tourist visa on the spot? I don't know if the 183-day that I got in April will still count.
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Tue May 26, 2015 1:48 pm

Dave wrote:
That would be fine; when you cancel your CE do they give you a new tourist visa on the spot? I don't know if the 183-day that I got in April will still count.

That's why you'd better go to DIGEMIN again, show them your last TAM and find out how you can change your status on the entrance stamp. The two possible solutions would be: either they change your stamp or cancel your residency, judging from what you've said, none of the outcomes should bother you much.
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dave » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:34 am

Just an update on this:

-- I went to Migraciones and explained my situation honestly and in detail. After talking to her supervisor the agent told me all that matters is that I have my Carnet and I should be fine from here.

-- I left the country a week ago and presented my CE. No questions asked.

-- Came back 2 days ago, presented my CE with the TAM that they gave me on leaving. No questions asked.

So in my case anyway, it seems that for whatever reason they did not enforce the rule that I will lose my CE progress for leaving the country without the special permiso. I'd definitely recommend trying to get it if you can, but if you have no time to get it before your trip, my experience proves that it's at least not guaranteed that you will lose the progress on your CE. May you factor that knowledge into the decision when weighing the costs of canceling or delaying your trip because you didn't get your special permiso. Of course I could still have a problem with this down the road if I were to apply for citizenship, but I have no plans to do that.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:20 pm

Dave wrote:Just an update on this:

-- I went to Migraciones and explained my situation honestly and in detail. After talking to her supervisor the agent told me all that matters is that I have my Carnet and I should be fine from here.

-- I left the country a week ago and presented my CE. No questions asked.

-- Came back 2 days ago, presented my CE with the TAM that they gave me on leaving. No questions asked.

So in my case anyway, it seems that for whatever reason they did not enforce the rule that I will lose my CE progress for leaving the country without the special permiso. I'd definitely recommend trying to get it if you can, but if you have no time to get it before your trip, my experience proves that it's at least not guaranteed that you will lose the progress on your CE. May you factor that knowledge into the decision when weighing the costs of canceling or delaying your trip because you didn't get your special permiso. Of course I could still have a problem with this down the road if I were to apply for citizenship, but I have no plans to do that.

Yes, once you have your CE you can leave the country...however, if you leave the country prior to or during the CE process, you will have to start the process over. Also, once you have your CE, I think you cannot be out of the country for more than 183 days / year....small week trips are of little concern.
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dave » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:12 pm

MarcoPE wrote:Yes, once you have your CE you can leave the country...however, if you leave the country prior to or during the CE process, you will have to start the process over.

I'm aware that this is the rule, but that's what this thread was about: I left prior to receiving the CE, while it was still being processed, and did NOT have to start the process over.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register