Thinking of moving to Miraflores

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
dakotakev

Thinking of moving to Miraflores

Postby dakotakev » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:26 pm

Hello Expats,

My name is Kevin, and I just joined the website. I lived in Lima from 2008 to 2013 while working for the US Embassy. I am recently retired from the US Government and am considering relocating back to Miraflores. While living there for 5 years, I was under the security umbrella of the US Embassy such as visa documentation and banking at the embassy. I receive a US Government pension and am wondering how can I get direct deposit to a Peru bank such as Interbank or Banco Coninental....etc. Also would it be possible to transfer money from an American Bank into a Peru bank once I get an account established. I am familiar with living in Peru so I have no questions about the lifestyle. My biggest concern is the banking issue. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks, Kevin

limaapartmentshunter

Re: Thinking of moving to Miraflores

Postby limaapartmentshunter » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:19 pm

Hello Kevin,

Here are some possible suggestions:

1- If you have a paypal account you can transfer your money from your US bank account to paypal´s and then use Interbank to withdraw it. Interbank charges 0.5% of the total amount you´re withdrawing and you can only do this once per month.

2- ------>how can I get direct deposit to a Peru bank such as Interbank or Banco Coninental....etc---< I think Banco Continental has a better rate for that kind of transaction. Open a bank account, ask for all the details for international transfers and send them to the US embassy.

3- ------> Also would it be possible to transfer money from an American Bank into a Peru bank-----< Yes it is possible, before you open a peruvian bank account compare the fees for receving money from outside Peru. I really think Continental has better rates. I´ve heard with City Bank is more probable.

I hope I have helped you.
Regards!

LAH
dakotakev

Postby dakotakev » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:16 pm

Thank you for the reply LAH. You did give me some good ideas. Just wondering how retired EXPATS do their banking in Lima.
dakotakev

Postby dakotakev » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:36 pm

Also, what type of visa is recommended..........rentista, foreign resident? Without the help of the US Embassy, what is the proper procedure for relocating? I would assume you have to have a permanent residential address with visa before opening any type of bank account. How have other retired EXPATS relocated from the USA?
mammamia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mammamia » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:02 pm

dakotakev wrote:Also, what type of visa is recommended..........rentista, foreign resident? Without the help of the US Embassy, what is the proper procedure for relocating? I would assume you have to have a permanent residential address with visa before opening any type of bank account. How have other retired EXPATS relocated from the USA?

If you're not married to a Peruvian, rentista status is your only option (unless you are planning to open a business and invest in Peru). If I'm not mistaken a proof of $1000 monthly income is sufficient to apply for a resident visa.
limaapartmentshunter

Postby limaapartmentshunter » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:31 pm

Hi Kevin,

The rentista visa applies only if you hold shares from an international company and receive dividends or if you prove to Migrations that you are retired (lots of documents). I honestly think this is the best way if you just want to live here because you´re not allowed to work in Peru with that type of visa. To open a bank account you need the "carnet de extranjeria" and an address. That step is very simple.

Regards!
LAH
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:19 am

limaapartmentshunter wrote:Hi Kevin,

To open a bank account you need the "carnet de extranjeria" and an address. That step is very simple.

Regards!
LAH

Please explain the current the process, it sounds very differnt to the process I went through about 7 years ago.
dakotakev

Postby dakotakev » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:28 am

What is the step by step process of moving to Peru from the USA? I would be coming by myself, no auto and no furniture. My biggest concern is having access to my US Government pension. Thank you, Kevin
dakotakev

Postby dakotakev » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:31 am

Also, I would not be working. I would be renting an apartment.
limaapartmentshunter

Postby limaapartmentshunter » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:35 pm

Hello Panman,

I don´t know if the process to get a carnet de extranjeria was different 7 years ago, but here is a link that I found about that: http://www.expatperu.com/vrequirements.php

Hello Kevin,

I recommend you to visit www.liveinlima.com they can help you with more information about moving to Lima. If you are planning to look for apartments in Miraflores, contact us: www.limaapartmentshunter.com

If there is anything else I can help you with, just let me know.

LAH

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register