Moving to Peru: Tips

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
rosiebick

Moving to Peru: Tips

Postby rosiebick » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:07 pm

Hey Guys!

I'm looking for some overall advice on things to consider/prepare for in a move to Lima.

What are the first steps (after deciding to make the move, of course!)? Is there anything to arrange before I get to Lima, or just head down and figure it out?

** This is, of course, knowing I have a place to live for a while until I'm ready and able to move to my own place.

Thanks all!

panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Moving to Peru: Tips

Postby panman » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:51 pm

Whatever the purpose of you moving to Peru might be, please be aware that on many occasions things do not work out. For that reason it is of the upmost importance that you keep in reserve, at least enough mony for a return ticket home.
TShadow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TShadow » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:42 am

With your given information it's hard to near impossible to give you more than some generic common sense advices as @panman already has done.

Looking at your writing style I'm not sure that you really know what you are doing.
rosiebick

Postby rosiebick » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:24 pm

Not sure what you're referring to about my "writing style"-- but I'm asking because my husband is Peruvian, and we're planning to move together from the US to Lima in the next few years.

I'm looking for some advice/knowledge on people's experience moving there. For example, how does it work getting our residence? Do I start the process of that before I leave, or do I just go to Lima with my passport and applying once I'm there? What "status" or papers do I need in order to work and/or study? Do I need to be a resident to get a license? How do I sign up for health insurance? Etc, etc.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:23 pm

i would recommend you have decent career lined up before making "the move". what type of work are you and your husband leaving behind? can you find similar work in Lima? as panman quoted, is best to have a back-up plan if things don't work out.
btw, i wouldn't do any paper work until you are fully satisfied with Lima life.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register