Quitting Smoking

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
stevesgonewalkabout

Quitting Smoking

Postby stevesgonewalkabout » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:44 pm

Hey all,

I've done a quick search of the forums and found there were Nicotenelle patches available at one time (2 years ago), but I've been told by a pharmacist that they are discontinued. After asking in 19 pharmacies / boticas in Cusco I'm looking for some help to find some here in Lima. I'll be here for only 1 day so I don't have time to try another 19 shops!

Any advice on where to find patches of any brand is greatly appreciated

Steve

sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Quitting Smoking

Postby sbaustin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:12 pm

If it is sold in a pharmacy you can probably find it here: http://observatorio.digemid.minsa.gob.pe/#
stevesgonewalkabout

Postby stevesgonewalkabout » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:45 pm

Great link, thanks a lot. Seems like there is a different named product to ask for in this:
http://observatorio.digemid.minsa.gob.p ... de=0008068

Appreciate the help
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:58 pm

I know this isn't exactly what you asked about, but I'll mention something that helped me quit. It's been said licorice helps ease the body's craving for nicotine and I found chewing on licorice root also helped with the oral fixation. Good luck.
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:18 pm

Try cigars!
There are very good Peruvian ones!
:wink:
asher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asher » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:41 am

Ironchef,
Did u find licorice root here in Peru ? I used it many years ago to quit smoking but unfortunately I went back to the nicotine. I would like to try again. What is the name in Spanish ?
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:07 pm

Raiz de regaliz. I haven't seen it here, but I've never searched for it either. I quit (for the sixth or seventh and hopefully last time) in 2008 before moving to Peru.
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:22 pm

Also, this year they approved Champix here which maybe another option ...

http://www.minsa.gob.pe/portalbiblioteca2/biblio/plm/PLM/productos/47938.htm
asher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asher » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:06 am

Thankyou for the translation Ironchef. I'll ask in the local market.............
DC_20833
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby DC_20833 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:13 pm

I quit about 3 months ago and I consulted my Therapist before quitting about the various methods "patches, cutting back, Hypnosis, etc, etc... He told me none of them worked and said studies proved that the ONLY thing that works is going "cold turkey" which had NOT worked for me in the past. So I went on an internet search and found this and BOOM it worked. http://www.helpguide.org/articles/addiction/how-to-quit-smoking.htm.

The Log was really useful. I decided when I got cravings to take walks and planned a route that did not pass Bodegas that sold Cigarettes. Also brush your teeth really good and floss the night before your quit day or even go to a Dentist and get a cleaning.

Weight Gain, this was really scarey for me because I have lost nearly 40 kilos since November and I had ZERO interest in gaining any or all of it back. My weight loss did stall but I am now back on track losing an average of .73 kilos per week I like Carrots, Apples, and Pears so I used those when I got cravings

Finally, what really helped is going to bed every night at 11 p.m. every night I did use some sleeping pills to assist me in the beginning but now swim right before bed and that gets me sleepy. I view myself as a recovering Cigaholic. I avoid any and all areas where smoking is allowed because I nearly bummed one. I think in due time I can lighten up but for right now I am being very strict.

GOOD LUCK.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:09 am

The last time I quit I bought a pack of nicotine gum and kept the last four cigarettes in my final pack for emergency use. The gum had instructions which said not to drink anything 20 minutes before and after chewing which I found inconvenient, so I just used willpower those first few days when the cravings hit. Chewed on a lot of licorice root and munched carrot and celery sticks as well. Never opened the gum. A month later outside forces caused a trauma for me and my then gf, but I managed not to turn to my old best friends for comfort and stress relief. To me it was the sign that this time I really, truly wanted to quit. Took it "one day at a time" for a few months, or more accurately hour by hour, craving by craving, but after those few months the desire went away. I was able to hang with smoker friends without thoughts of bumming even a drag. Good luck to any and all who are quitting or thinking about it, cause it ain't easy.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:35 am

This guy comes highly recommended, but, of course, his strategy might not work for everyone.

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easy- ... 0615482155

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register