Borderhop(ish) from Tacna to Arica

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
DanielGent
Silver Member
Silver Member

Borderhop(ish) from Tacna to Arica

Postby DanielGent » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:46 pm

Hey all,

I make a post every few months when I do this so just letting other Gringos know how it goes.

Firstly, CAREFUL IF YOU HAVE OVERSTAYED!
I got refused from all the buses crossing and the first few collectivos because I had overstayed (only by a week) because they didn't want me to delay the rest of the people, or slow down their money making, and some seemed to say there was nowhere to pay on the border. General misinformation. Even the police weren't sure. General confusion all round. Probably down to not many gringos crossing. I ended up going to immgration in Tacna to try and clear things up but got the usual "the person concerned will return from lunch in 3 hours".

After heading back to the international bus terminal luckily a really efficient collectivo driver said yes and really helped me out.

Turned out it was no effort at all, there's a Banco De La Nacion at the crossing right by where you get your passport stamped that only had one person in the queue.

So my route was: Lima - Cruz del Sur to Tacna > Tacna - Arica collectivo

Would have been a breeze if not for my overstay.

CONTROVERSIAL OPINON ALERT: THE ECUADOR-PERU BORDER IS SAFER AND EASIER

Now that they've built a proper crossing point.
1. It's full full full of gringos. The Tacna-Arica I saw no other gringo . Peru-Ecuador the bus is sometimes half gringos
2. It's easier because of CIFA. CIFA are used to Gringos and don't bat an eyelid. Tacna-Arica no one not even the police know if you can pay at the border.
3. Payment for overstaying is easy. You just pay to the official and pay whatever the amount while getting your passport stamped. In Tacna-Arica you have to go to the Banco de la Nacion and it takes longer and they give you an official overstay stamp and use IN TOTAL ONE PAGE OF YOUR PASSPORT (fine as mine is expiring but wow i'd be angry if it was new)

Just to note: i haven't really border hopped as I'm still in Chile but I'll be returning to Peru once my Visa is up

Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Borderhop(ish) from Tacna to Arica

Postby Dave » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:02 pm

Thanks for posting, interesting to know that Peru-Ecuador is the best way to do it now.
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgp » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:54 pm

Thanks for sharing.

I knew already about how easy is getting trough Ecuador.

Anyways, what a waste of time this migration procedures...
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dave » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:18 pm

asgp wrote:Anyways, what a waste of time this migration procedures...

But think about it in comparison to other countries: In Peru all you need to do to legally live in the country is to do a border hop for a new "tourist visa" every 183 days; a damn good deal, especially having already overstayed.
panman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby panman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:45 pm

Considering the hoops you have to jump through to get into other countries legally, Peru's system is nothing short of a joke.
Having just gone through the Uk/Schengen visa application process recently, I've decided the best way enter Europe in future is by rubber dinghy via Africa.
jimuazu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jimuazu » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:34 am

You can pay for your overstay (exceso de permanencia) at any Migraciones office -- at least that used to be the case. There is no need to leave it until the border.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register