Mattresses

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mattresses

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:07 pm

Moving the current mattress and bed into the guest room and are about to shop for a new mattress for us. Want to get something of at least the same quality/comfort level (Super Orthopedic). I have no experience with buying a mattress in Peru and not much elsewhere. Looking for some advice. I'm guessing most of the brands are similar, but if not, are there brands that are known to be better or to be avoided? Currently sleeping on a 15 year old Komfort and it feels fine to me. I know you get what you pay for but like most things the law of diminishing returns kicks in at a certain point. Not looking for the cheapest, nor the most luxurious, just something that's not going to fall apart or lose it's shape in a few short years. Looking on the Saga website it looks like we'd be happy with mattresses in the S/. 600-1000 range (2 plz). Any thoughts on mattresses in this range as far as durability or any other advice or experiences? I've read stories of people buying mattresses stuffed with old newspapers and rags when buying at Plaza Hogar, but they were on the cheaper end. Any bad experiences with mattresses in the price range I'm looking at when purchased at Plaza Hogar instead of Saga/Ripley/etc.?

caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Mattresses

Postby caliguy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:50 pm

i just purchased a 2 plz. mattress from Ripley. it's made by Komfort, and is the model "Excellence". it comes with a 10 year warranty, mattress cover, down comforter and 2 pillows. i bought it during Fathers Day sale at 700 soles. it is quite firm though. if you're used to an old saggy mattress (as i was) you might wake up with a back ache the 1st. couple of mornings. otherwise, i think it is a very good quality mattress.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
Lloyd007
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Lloyd007 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:58 am

You could try the Paraiso mattress shop on Angamos, close to Plaza Hogar. I bought my 'Super Star' from there and am very happy with it.
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgp » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:17 pm

I trust Paraiso when it comes to mattresses... It is also a little bit cheaper I guess...

Some stores like SagaFalabella and Ripley have cheaper prices on their website e-stores... It won't hurt going to the actual stores checking first the website before going. I am sure all the stores have computers you can use to browse the online version of the store, you can fount it on the little offices they have for online buyers and also in the electronics section. I have done it before. Good Luck.
gringito
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringito » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:10 pm

Paraiso!
base camp

Postby base camp » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:11 am

Sort of on topic but the best bed I ever slept on waveless waterbed.
Shapes to your body minimizing joint pressure.
Easy to clean just wipe it down.

Never seen any in Peru but I wasn't looking.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:12 am

Went to the equivalent of Plaza Hogar here in Arequipa where the sales guy tried to sell us on a mattress to go along with the other furniture we purchased. I'm the kind of person who likes to do some research on the product and prices as opposed to taking the S/. 50 discount that comes with an immediate purchase. Turns out the same mattress was about S/. 350 less at Estillos so chose the next level up and saved S/. 250 by not doing the impulse purchase and succumbing to the pressure tactic.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register