August climate in Lima

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
dastar

August climate in Lima

Postby dastar » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:36 am

Hi all,

I want to start my Spanish immersion class in Lima in August. A few persons advised me though that it is cold and damp in Lima at that time, and because there is no heating it could get quite uncomfortable. Could you please confirm or deny these rumors? Temperature averages taken out of context are meaningless...I'd like to know what it actually feels like, day-to-day.

Massive thanks!

caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: August climate in Lima

Postby caliguy » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:34 am

i wouldn't say cold, but is a little cool when during the day is around 70° and overcast. we don't have heating either, but don't find it the least uncomfortable (just sleeping in boxers & t-shirt) would recommend bringing a jacket though.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dave » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:15 am

People in Lima tend to be quite sensitive to the cold. Once it gets below 75 they start to complain about it. I much prefer a cool and damp August without a heater than a sunny and hot January without an AC, and I'm MUCH happier to be here than in my home town which is exceeding 100F today.

Wear a jacket, drink something hot, and relax. The weather is a pretty lame reason to not move on with one's life. :D
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:53 am

It's all relative. As in Lima, Arequipeños are more sensitive to the cold. While many locals are mostly wearing a sweater or light jacket during the day (19 C) I'm in pants and a t-shirt and the tourists from Europe are in shorts and flip-flops. When I first arrived I was fine without a jacket at nights but I've become a bit acclimated so I now wear a light jacket while most are bundled up in scarves, heavier jackets, multiple layers, etc.. If you don't bring anything to keep you warm enough you can always buy something here.
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgp » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:19 am

I am not sure at all to define as 'damp' the weather in Lima in the 'winter' season. We have high humidity but that's it. And as you must know, humidity plays a role in the sensation people can perceive, the 'feels like', both in summer, making you sweat like a pig and making your skin sticky and in winter making you feel a cooler weather than it actually is.

It can get a little foggy sometimes, but we have virtually no rain at all. All we get is some sort of a weak drizzle, sometimes it can wet the streets, but never it goes further.

July, August, September, October are the coolest months, from November January it begings to get hotter, from February to June you can get easily bad sunburns if you don't wear sunscreen. It is mostly a dry hot weather all the year.

Here is Lima most people don't know what heavy rain, storms, tornadoes, hurricanes are, only a few who have travelled can answer properly. Technically Lima is located in a desert...

Like @Dave, I prefer 100 times this weather. Specially when it is not 'summer' I don't like that much the sun of Lima. Where I come from we have like 100 all year long.

And like @ironcheffchris said.. Tourist from northern USA and Europe are in flip-flops when the temperature is higher than 10°c lol... It is their kind of summer, I was able to get that impression in a trip to Cusco, we were at 11°c.
base camp

Postby base camp » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:03 pm

Dave wrote:People in Lima tend to be quite sensitive to the cold. Once it gets below 75 they start to complain about it. I much prefer a cool and damp August without a heater than a sunny and hot January without an AC, and I'm MUCH happier to be here than in my home town which is exceeding 100F today.

Wear a jacket, drink something hot, and relax. The weather is a pretty lame reason to not move on with one's life. :D

But according to this article, you should drink something hot to cool you down...

http://coffeetea.about.com/od/Coffee-Te ... u-Down.htm
dastar

Postby dastar » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:25 am

Thank y'all for the insights. Good vibe, too :)
calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby calygirl » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:36 am

Here's an earlier link on this same subject
viewtopic.php?p=54809

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register