Service Dog

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
maduncledave

Service Dog

Postby maduncledave » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:46 pm

Hi everybody!

I just arrived with Maggie, my service dog. Can anyone point me towards the applicable laws/rules/customs of traveling around and day to day living in Peru with a service dog? LAN has been acommodating, but I do not want to create any troubles by bringing her someplace that the laws say i can't.

Thanks!

Dave

Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Service Dog

Postby Alan » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:38 pm

Hi,

You see few service dogs in Lima so I bet if there are rules, people would be pretty oblivious to them. Probably a lot depends on their personal criteria, and whether you really seem to need the dog as an aid or not. In any case, I´d suggest some kind of vest for the dog in order to identify it as an aid dog. Nothing like a uniform to get some respect! But these are just opinions...

I know of one agency that trains dogs, so if anyone knows the answer to your question, they do. Why not try to get in touch with them? https://www.facebook.com/bocalanperu.taa

All the best,
Alan
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:01 pm

As far as I know there is only one law in Peru regarding service dogs and this only aims at service dogs for visually impaired people. Just google Ley 29830 which establishes that assistance dogs are allowed to enter all public and private places incl. public transport.

Be aware that people in Peru aren't familiar with service dogs and might deny you entry with a dog. Nevertheless if you talk to them and show the dogs ID they sometimes change their mind.
maduncledave

Postby maduncledave » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:36 am

Thank you!! Wonder what we can do to have the law expanded to include other types of service dogs...
dave

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register