Question - License (Canje extranjero) change from the US

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:07 pm

Question - License (Canje extranjero) change from the US

Postby alongwayfromgeorgia » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:07 pm

Hello all,

I've recently begun the process of obtaining my Peruvian Driver's license. I am doing it via the "Canje Extranjero" route. So I've payed all of the fees associated with it (Banco de La nación - 24"ish" soles for the license, Scotia 50"ish" soles for the computer exam, neither of these have an expiration date). I've also done the medical exam (94 soles, expires in six months). I made one mistake in the process and now I want to make sure I don't mess up again, so if you can help I would greatly appreciate it.

My mistake: I ordered a driving record off the internet from the US, it was therefore not an official copy and did not come with any sort of seal. So this driving record was, of course not accepted.

- I have now ordered, via my state government, the official document.

My question: Does this document from the state have to be apostilled or since it is an official document, can I use just the official record?

Question #2: When I call the Touring helpline (Central de consultas: 615-9315, option 1 and then option 6) and hear the automated message, the very end of the message says: "el documento debe ser en español o ingles"... but then when I talked to someone via the helpline, they said it had to be in Spanish. Before I pay someone to officially translate the record and apostille (if i need the apostille), I want to make sure no one has been successful with using an english document.

Thanks for any help!

From the U.S.
Lived in Peru since August, 2014.
User avatar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:41 pm
Location: Cancun

Re: Question - License (Canje extranjero) change from the US

Postby sunflower » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:35 am

Can't explicitly state anything for your driving license; but all foreign documents any authority in Peru asks you for have to have an Apsotille and have to be translated into Spanish.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register