By bus from Lima to Sta.Cruz/Bolivia

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

By bus from Lima to Sta.Cruz/Bolivia

Postby JanD » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:57 am

What is the best way to travel by bus from Lima to Sta. Cruz, Bolivia?
I have abt. one week to get there and sofar was thinking of:
1. Lima - Cusco ((Excluciva).. stay one or two nights in wonderfull Cusco
2. Cusco - La Paz (Trans Salvador) . Stay one day and a half in La Paz
3. La Paz - Sta Cruz (Trans Copacabana).

There are supposed to be options to travel in one "escala", but that would be for me a "real" pain in the ass....

Any suggestion or advice?
Thanks!

Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: By bus from Lima to Sta.Cruz/Bolivia

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:54 am

Unless you're wedded to the idea of bus travel across Peru, I'd be tempted to suggest a flight straight to La Paz. If you're spending any time in Bolivia, you'll spend a lot of time on buses anyway and flights there are more expensive than Peru and few and far between. From La Paz you could do a circuit on the bus to Santa Cruz via Uyuni, Potosi and Sucre, stopping off at each and getting to know some beautiful places, instead of spending several days on the bus crossing Peru.

LAN has flights from Lima for $299, while Peruvian Airlines do return tickets to La Paz for between $200-300. Depending on when you travel, the price will jump about a bit, so try combinations of days if you're after the best deal.
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:34 pm

Sergio, tks for the advise!
I already looked at LAN, USD 299. but together with charges it became USD 405.
However (your advise!) there was an offer of Peruvian Airlines which (including charges) came upon a total of USD 305 return ticket.
Although I love travelling by bus (f.e. Lima - Cusco with Excluciva, 180% bed, sipping a glass of wine, eating some snacks, enjoying the views or a good book) and was looking forward to visit Cusco again, for time sake I decided to book the Lima/La Paz ticket, enabling me to spend some days in La Paz.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:50 pm

Or a cheaper option, fly to Juliaca for around US$ 125 return, and then by bus to La Paz. That will shorten the bustime, and still is affordable.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:26 am

fanning wrote:Or a cheaper option, fly to Juliaca for around US$ 125 return, and then by bus to La Paz. That will shorten the bustime, and still is affordable.

This is also a great idea. It's not far to La Paz from Juliaca and you can stop off in Puno. So why not go and see Cusco on your way back...

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register