Advise on the new law

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
expat7798

Advise on the new law

Postby expat7798 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:16 pm

hi,

I have been living in Lima now for around 10 months now, i went to the border and back in August for visa run and they gave me 6 months which runs out at the end of January. I plan to leave peru for a few weeks over christmas and then return at start of January. As there is a new law coming in, do you think i will be able to get another 6 months? Also if they give me only 3 month, does anybody know how much the fine is...1 or 5 dollars per day? Thanks

sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Advise on the new law

Postby sbaustin » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:48 pm

In my opinion, you'll probably want to renew your visa before the new year and the laws change to at least have a better shot at 6 months.

I've had several people ask me this, so I look forward to everyone's responses and opinions on this.
crazytacoperu.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Advise on the new law

Postby crazytacoperu.com » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:56 pm

As of OCT 2016. I have a contact who works at the border in immigrations in Tacna. He told me the law has always been 6 months per year max. However, the software system they use allows the border agent to enter up to 183 days, and no more. BUT it does not limit him, so it is the border agents' decision how long you will get. He also told me that because of the new PPK administration, a bunch of new folks are now working the borders who make alot more money, and are NOT willing to bend the rules. He says it is very difficult to get more than 60 days.

He says the only difference between Peru and Ecuador is that in Ecuador the computer automatically calculates your maximum visa stay based on how long you have been there in the last year. So the Ecuador border agents cannot put a figure greater than the computer allows - Peru agents can. There are some reasons to ask for 180 days, but you have to prove a valid reason, like getting married, having a kid, or some legal commitment, but you have to prove it. Send me a private message and I might be able to get more answers for your situation.
..A Peruvian once asked me:what's the difference between special and abnormal?.....well my answer was : Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus..

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register