Serpost Strike

Answers to your qestions about moving to and living in Peru,

Moderators: Alan, adrian Thorne

Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Serpost Strike

Postby Sergio Bernales » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:23 pm

Does anybody have any idea how long the Serpost strike will last? Or even if they are anywhere near coming to an agreement with the workers?

TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Serpost Strike

Postby TonyLeslie » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:08 pm

Don't know if it will help or even if they are still open everyday, but I was at Serpost at Avenida Cuba, Jesus Maria, close to Salavery on Tuesday (1/12) and at least had my Christmas cards accepted. They did not have a lot of staff on hand and only one counter was open. Whether the cards will actually go to their destination I don't know. From what I could see, nearly everyone had International mail to send. On the Monday I was at Serpost in Plaza Norte and that was not operating.
AncientAlien

Postby AncientAlien » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:17 pm

Yea, this is ridiculous, I had a packaged mailed almost one month ago, still hasnt arrived. I know the strike is going on (didnt before it was sent) but this is insane.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:46 am

I have several packages and letters outstanding. Some earlier parcels are taking in the region of eight weeks to arrive, but if you have a tracking number and the online service confirms receipt in the district, you should be able to collect from that office between 8.00am and 1.00pm. I have successfully done this twice.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:49 pm

Thanks for your responses, everyone. That's interesting to note that at least some offices are open, although I don't have a tracking number for any of the packages I'm expecting. I've also got a few things to post, but even if I can find an office open, I wonder if they're just going to sit there until the strike is over, or even if there is a vast backlog of mail, does that mean loss and theft are a bigger risk? Still, it'll be good to hear from anyone who knows of any negotiations or if there's going to be a resolution to the strike.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:35 pm

Strikes in Latin America -- even for essential services -- can drag on for weeks and months. Neither side wishes to budge. What often happens is that the management side eventually bribes the leaders of the labor side to end the strike, and it ends with the workers receiving little or nothing. Note that I am not saying this is the case with Serpost; only that it is a common practice south of the Rio Bravo (Rio Grande for gringos).

Unlike in the U.S., where there would be massive complaints and pedal-to-the-metal news coverage, strikes are not as big of a deal down here. If customer service suffers, the attitude is, "oh well...." It can be frustrating for people who come from the developed world but it is just one more charm of living in Latin America.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
Udo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Udo » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:32 am

I had two packages sent from the U.S. on Oct. 23, not arrived, but has taken up to two months before even without the strike. Is it just the mensajeros who are on strike or the whole entity? I am in Trujillo. Would it be worth the cab fare to visit the P.O. and check their little log book?
AncientAlien

Postby AncientAlien » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:18 pm

2 months is a long time to receive a package. Normally I receive a package within 3 weeks sent regular snail mail.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:45 am

Apparently the strike is over, however, when normal service resumes is anyone's guess, as there must be a fairly big backlog. If you have Christmas cards to post, my guess is if you hurry down today, they'll get there in time for mid-January.

http://www.serpost.com.pe/
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:43 pm

...Meanwhile, a handful of people from the Sindicato (union) are going to go on holiday to Europe some time next year. :wink:
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:46 am

All of the parcels I was expecting at the beginning of December have still not arrived. I needed new credit cards sent from the Uk at the beginning of last week so arranged a courier costing under twenty pounds for a package up to half a kilo. The company collected from my UK address and delivered to me here in Lima today. "UKMail") https://www.ukmail.com/ Performed very well with a standard door to door service taking five working days.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:59 am

Just as an idea on January 7th I received a Christmas card was mailed to me from Texas on December 8th so the current backlog looks to be one to two weeks long. Hopefully they'll be all caught up by February or March
mananee

Postby mananee » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:37 am

What you took so long ???
gclubtg
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:01 pm

mananee wrote:What you took so long ???
gclubtg

It would be great if you have an alternative to Serpost. For the time being four weeks for a card to Polaron is outstanding.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:15 am

I have been receiving mail lately that was sent November 16 and a week ago received some from November 24th.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:00 pm

A couple of Christmas cards have appeared, but a few packages sent mid-November haven't arrived yet. I'm slightly worried I'll never see them, as I've had several packages disappear with Serpost over the years.
ErikJanVens

Postby ErikJanVens » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:32 pm

Maybe anyone can shed some light in this. I have a package coming from Peru to the Netherlands. It was posted the day after the strike ended. It took a week to go from Iquitos to Lima and then it stayed there. Track & Trace lists these statuses:

18/12/2015 11:33:00 a.m. DISPONIBLE PARA SALIR A Netherlands (the)
11/12/2015 04:03:00 p.m. ENVIO INGRESA A LA OFICINA CENTRAL DE Peru

Since I don't speak Spanish I used Google Translate to understand the messages.

It is a month now and I have no idea whether I should be worried because it takes so long. Maybe they are still clearing up the mess after the strike? Is this normal? The sender of the package doesn't answer.

The problem for me is that there is no e-mail address listed. Just a phone-number listed as CALL CENTER. But I expect them to speak Spanish only.

So, should I do something now? If so, what? Or should I just wait?

I'd be very gratedful for some advice. Thanks in advance.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:22 pm

I would suggest you sit back and be patient. In the last week we have received a few Christmas cards posted in November. There are several packages still not arrived that were posted in November and are tracked as arrived in Lima many weeks ago. I would suggest you start getting concerned after eight weeks.
ErikJanVens

Postby ErikJanVens » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:14 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:I would suggest you start getting concerned after eight weeks.

Thank you. I'll just sit back then and relax. :D
MarcoPE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarcoPE » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:37 pm

ErikJanVens wrote:So, should I do something now? If so, what? Or should I just wait?

Forgive me if you already tried this, but check out the tracking for your service in the Netherlands using the same tracking number. I know when we have packages shipped to us I can only follow it till it leaves the originating country with the originating shipper's tracking system, then I have to use Serpost to track the rest of the way to us. On a side note, a month is no cause for alarm when it comes to Serpost. You may also try http://www.17track.net .... Good luck!
Last edited by MarcoPE on Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:20 am

Things are moving now. Balance of Christmas cards and the first parcel arrived yesterday, which was posted in November. We actually have had the same postman for years and was able to give him a Panaton for Christmas. Four more parcels outstanding from December.
london
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby london » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:43 pm

I posted a passport application from Lima to England on 27 November 2015, I only got a cash receipt. The letter was posted at the Serpost office at Jorge Chavez airport, the woman working there unconvincingly assured me the letter would leave Peru that day. The letter has not yet arrived in England.
Danny55
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Danny55 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:01 am

For important stuff like passport applications I just take the hit and pay to DHL it. Sure it costs about 300 soles but at least it gets there.
base camp

Postby base camp » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:40 am

adrian Thorne wrote:Things are moving now. Balance of Christmas cards and the first parcel arrived yesterday, which was posted in November. We actually have had the same postman for years and was able to give him a Panaton for Christmas. Four more parcels outstanding from December.

Yeah, a panaton or throw them a few soles.
Always good to grease palms.
El Jefe

Postby El Jefe » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:31 pm

Never lost anything using Serpost.
Excellent service.
Kenedy

Postby Kenedy » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:05 am

I personally agree with Polaron 's idea.
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:43 am

Recently received the last of online purchases that were due to arrive Nov-Dec.

In my experiences, everything I've had sent through Serpost has arrived. Not always within the delivery window I've been told (even without a strike), but it eventually reaches me.
london
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby london » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:29 am

My passport application to UK eventually arrived, it took about 10 weeks but it did arrive in the end...
ErikJanVens

Postby ErikJanVens » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:58 am

This week my package arrived. Serpost still lists it as "disponible para salir" but it took a little over two months after the strike ended to arrive at my place. Yahoo! :D

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register