Bad Internet service

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
crazytacoperu.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bad Internet service

Postby crazytacoperu.com » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:27 pm

Everyone,
I have an office in Miraflores and my telefonica cablemodem goes down everyday. Clario does not provide service to my address. I have OLO as backup but its terribly slow. Does anyone know how to get a faster service, like a dedicated T1?

..A Peruvian once asked me:what's the difference between special and abnormal?.....well my answer was : Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus..
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Bad Internet service

Postby sbaustin » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:12 pm

crazytacoperu.com wrote:Everyone,
I have an office in Miraflores and my telefonica cablemodem goes down everyday. Clario does not provide service to my address. I have OLO as backup but its terribly slow. Does anyone know how to get a faster service, like a dedicated T1?

There are several companies that provide dedicated internet. When I priced it out for a 10Mbps T1 1:1 connection it was ~$800/month to my office in San Isidro. http://optical.pe

Before going that route, check to see if you have an Arris or Cisco router. If you have an Arris complain until they replace it with a Cisco.
rgbjr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgbjr » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:31 am

"Before going that route, check to see if you have an Arris or Cisco router. If you have an Arris complain until they replace it with a Cisco."

Do you mean modem or router. I have nothing but problems with Claro. I have an arris modem they supplied and I use my Cisco router. The most problem I have is VIOP. It won't stay connected I have a program on my spare desktop that monitors wlan connection and so far for 150 hours it has not acted up. But my VIOP is always disconnecting. Today we are going to Claro office to get hopefully Static IP and 30mb connection.
Any Ideas would be appreciated.
Thank you
Bobby :D
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:05 am

rgbjr wrote:"Before going that route, check to see if you have an Arris or Cisco router. If you have an Arris complain until they replace it with a Cisco."

Do you mean modem or router. I have nothing but problems with Claro. I have an arris modem they supplied and I use my Cisco router. The most problem I have is VIOP. It won't stay connected I have a program on my spare desktop that monitors wlan connection and so far for 150 hours it has not acted up. But my VIOP is always disconnecting. Today we are going to Claro office to get hopefully Static IP and 30mb connection.
Thank you

I was referring to the modem which is also a router but all the same, if you have an Arris just start complaining letting them know you are getting dropped connections until they replace it with a Cisco modem. As for VOIP, you can see if your router supports QOS for VOIP.
rgbjr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgbjr » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:43 am

Thank you for the reply.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:29 am

If you are doing a lot of other things on your network like watching netflix, downloading anything, etc your voice connection will suffer unless your router supports QOS and you've prioritized your VOIP traffic. The static IP will have no impact on your service and they probably won't give you one at your house. I have a static ip at my office and when we contacted Claro about upgrading our service they told us we'd lose the static ip and they won't assign them anymore. I hope you have better luck.

Also, the wifi might be the reason you are dropping. Have you tried it wired directly to your router to see?
handleit

Postby handleit » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:08 pm

sbaustin wrote:
rgbjr wrote:"Before going that route, check to see if you have an Arris or Cisco router. If you have an Arris complain until they replace it with a Cisco."

Thank you

I was referring to the modem which is also a router but all the same, if you have an Arris just start complaining letting them know you are getting dropped connections until they replace it with a Cisco modem. As for VOIP, you can see if your router supports QOS for VOIP.

A modem and router are not all the same thing. A modem can contain a router but they are DEFINATLY not "all" the same thing.
If you need some real advice pm me.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:21 am

handleit wrote:
sbaustin wrote:

Thank you

A modem and router are not all the same thing. A modem can contain a router but they are DEFINATLY not "all" the same thing.

Every single cable modem I've had in Peru was also a router. Same for the USA.
base camp

Postby base camp » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:44 pm

sbaustin wrote:
handleit wrote:
sbaustin wrote:

Thank you

Every single cable modem I've had in Peru was also a router. Same for the USA.

Mine are separate.
base camp

Postby base camp » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:45 pm

handleit wrote:
sbaustin wrote:

Thank you

PM sent.
base camp

Postby base camp » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:48 pm

Thank you

What did they say?
rgbjr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rgbjr » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:56 pm

We Went and redid our whole service plan with them. They are suppose to come next week to redo everything. I will keep you informed and post the results. We went with 15 mb instead of 30 mb. 30 mb was way too expensive.
crazytacoperu.com
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby crazytacoperu.com » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:35 pm

sbaustin wrote:

Thank you

So did you get your VOIP issue worked out?
..A Peruvian once asked me:what's the difference between special and abnormal?.....well my answer was : Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus..

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register