Daughter has both Peru & US passports, does she need a visa going to US?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
carlostanner

Daughter has both Peru & US passports, does she need a visa going to US?

Postby carlostanner » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:55 pm

I have a one year old daughter who has a Peruvian and a US passport. She'll be traveling with me and my wife to the US for the first time in April and I assume she'll be using her Peruvian passport, although she is a dual citizen. (I assume that because otherwise she would get a six month visa on her US passport upon return to Peru, right?) Does she need a visa to travel to the US with her Peruvian passport or can we just show both passports, kind of like traveling with a carnet (showing US passport and carnet). I appreciate any help on this matter. Don't want to get to the airport and they won't let her leave.

sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Daughter has both Peru & US passports, does she need a visa going to US?

Postby sbaustin » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:11 pm

carlostanner wrote:I have a one year old daughter who has a Peruvian and a US passport. She'll be traveling with me and my wife to the US for the first time in April and I assume she'll be using her Peruvian passport, although she is a dual citizen. (I assume that because otherwise she would get a six month visa on her US passport upon return to Peru, right?) Does she need a visa to travel to the US with her Peruvian passport or can we just show both passports, kind of like traveling with a carnet (showing US passport and carnet). I appreciate any help on this matter. Don't want to get to the airport and they won't let her leave.

Why would an American citizen use a foreign passport to enter their own country?
marlia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby marlia » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:34 am

Hello Carlostanner,

at Peru Immigration in the airport, show both Passports of your Daughter then in the US Immigration to enter USA, use her US Passport.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:22 pm

That´s right. Use the Peru passport to leave and enter Peru, and your other passport when you leave and enter that country.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:44 pm

With my twins the Peruvian immigration only wanted to see their Peruvian passports the FIRST time they left. When either my wife or I come back to Peru, we use the twins US Passports. This is specially beneficial when leaving and my wife is traveling alone with them. If she came in and left with the twin's Peruvian passport alone, she would need an affidavit from a notary giving my permission to let the twins leave Peru with just my wife. If they are using their US passport, the Peruvian immigration folks do not care if she is traveling alone with our children. They overstayed their Peruvian visas once by a few months. When we left she just used their Peruvian passports after filling out a different immigration form. Avoided the fine that way. Like my boy says, "easy peasy lemon squeezy papa." Having both is an advantage I am glad my kids have
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:19 am

captcosmic wrote:With my twins the Peruvian immigration only wanted to see their Peruvian passports the FIRST time they left. When either my wife or I come back to Peru, we use the twins US Passports. This is specially beneficial when leaving and my wife is traveling alone with them. If she came in and left with the twin's Peruvian passport alone, she would need an affidavit from a notary giving my permission to let the twins leave Peru with just my wife. If they are using their US passport, the Peruvian immigration folks do not care if she is traveling alone with our children. They overstayed their Peruvian visas once by a few months. When we left she just used their Peruvian passports after filling out a different immigration form. Avoided the fine that way. Like my boy says, "easy peasy lemon squeezy papa." Having both is an advantage I am glad my kids have

Boy, is that going to bite you in the a$$ one day!
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:17 am

Alpineprince wrote:
captcosmic wrote:With my twins the Peruvian immigration only wanted to see their Peruvian passports the FIRST time they left. When either my wife or I come back to Peru, we use the twins US Passports. This is specially beneficial when leaving and my wife is traveling alone with them. If she came in and left with the twin's Peruvian passport alone, she would need an affidavit from a notary giving my permission to let the twins leave Peru with just my wife. If they are using their US passport, the Peruvian immigration folks do not care if she is traveling alone with our children. They overstayed their Peruvian visas once by a few months. When we left she just used their Peruvian passports after filling out a different immigration form. Avoided the fine that way. Like my boy says, "easy peasy lemon squeezy papa." Having both is an advantage I am glad my kids have

Avoiding the fine by having dual citizenship is going to bite me in the butt? Not sure I follow. Or maybe my boy saying easy peasy...?
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:10 am

captcosmic wrote:
Alpineprince wrote:

Avoiding the fine by having dual citizenship is going to bite me in the butt? Not sure I follow. Or maybe my boy saying easy peasy...?

According to the Peruvian government, your children are still here and are still overstaying their visa's, so the fines are mounting.
captcosmic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby captcosmic » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:29 pm

Alpineprince wrote:
captcosmic wrote:
Alpineprince wrote:

According to the Peruvian government, your children are still here and are still overstaying their visa's, so the fines are mounting.

So they are going to fine a Peruvian citizen for over staying a visa in their own country? :) Seems like they would be stretching it. Time will tell, but they have went in and left several times on their US passports without problem since.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register