Cheapest way to call the UK from Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Intiraymi

Cheapest way to call the UK from Peru

Postby Intiraymi » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:25 pm

Hello,
I have recently returned to live in Peru and wonder if anyone has any tips on the cheapest way to call the UK from Peru. I know Skype would probably be the best, but my mum finds using Skype difficult. In the past I have used the 147 calling cards, but I bought one for 10 soles and it only gave me 7 minutes. There must be better deals.
If anyone has advice, calling from a landline here in Peru (I don't have a mobile yet), I would be very grateful.

Many thanks
Lucy

caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Cheapest way to call the UK from Peru

Postby caliguy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:25 pm

not the best quality, but often go to a locutorio. they're everywhere.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:04 pm

I purchased a local call rate number from Skype. This allows cheap rate calls to and from the number via your smart phone or PC. A 30 minute call to any landline works out to pennies. The cost of the number is in the region of £15 - £20 per year. I list the number for all business calls and my 90 year old mother always calls that number and if I am away it diverts to my cel. at local rate.
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:05 am

W.a. using Skype on your cellphone/laptop or tablet.
I use Skype to call my mother daily to her phone in The Neth. (she does not have a comp.)
I pay a monthly fee of E 4,50 (something like that) for illimitate calls to all fixed phones in The Netherlands. Excellent quality (apart from Lima I called her from places like Chachapoyas, Pucallpa, La Paz). The only thing you need is a direct internet connection or a wifi/internet connection.
Skype offers a large range off all kind of subscriptions at (to my opinion) decent prices...
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:03 am

By the way you can use skype to call phones as well assuming you are the one making the call, your mom would just be answering on her phone.

Movistar has a plan, s/180 for unlimited calling to a few countries plus 5GB of data. Not sure if the UK is included but you might check some post paid plans to see what they offer.
Intiraymi

Postby Intiraymi » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:36 pm

Thanks very much for the advice and recommendations. It sounds like Skype is my best bet, I didn't realise that there were so many options. I'll go onto their website and take a look.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register