Shipping computer parts (CPU, GPU) from the US to Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
PwnageEngage

Shipping computer parts (CPU, GPU) from the US to Peru

Postby PwnageEngage » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:15 am

Has anyone had experience doing this?

I'd like to purchase a GPU on sale on amazon or outletpc and have it shipped to lima, then have it shipped to my current residence in Tacna. However i just had a terrible experience ordering internationally (i ordered some protein from Bodybuilding.com and it was held in customs; i couldn't pick it up until i had a certificate of health or some stupid thing that was gonna be more trouble than it was worth).

I would like to avoid a similar situation.

Ideas?

Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Shipping computer parts (CPU, GPU) from the US to Peru

Postby Polaron » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:08 am

You can import those items yourself but you'll have to go down to Serpost where customs is located and spend at least half a day going from spot to spot in line. There are nine total windows and you'll end up paying probably the same amount in import taxes or a similar amount that you paid to get the items originally. One way you can find out how much the import tax will cost before you purchase the item is to contact customs and ask someone but be prepared you may not receive correct information. You can also try to get a membership with a company called Skybox they handle everything all the way to your door they can probably tell you how much the importation tax would be keep in mind that they R expensive. Finally generally as a foreigner you're allowed to import up to three items per year for more than three items you need to get what it's called a consignatario (consignee).
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:36 am

Depending on how common the part is, I've tended to find computer parts here for only about 30% more than in the US. That seems fairly reasonable to me given the import taxes and all that.

For specialty parts it can be a lot more, though. I'd save buying that stuff for your next trip to the US and just bring whatever you can fit that way. I brought in a nice GPU last time... took it out of the overly large box, wrapped it up to protect it, then just had it packed next to my laptop in my carry-on.

The amount I save on purchases like this each time I go to the US pretty much pays for the ticket.
Suspiro

Postby Suspiro » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:00 pm

PwnageEngage, I am currently in the US and due to come back to Lima in a week. If you have the GPU shipped to me in the US I can just carry it down with me in my luggage, then ship it to you from Lima to Tacna. You can PM me for my contact details so we can talk more about it off the forum, if you like.

I go back and forth at least once a month, so for me it's not a problem.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:03 am

Is it true that if shipped to Peru using a RUC that you're exempt from paying the 18% IGV and would only have to pay the other portion (approx 6%, I believe) in customs duties?
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:57 am

It might be worth bearing in mind. Last week I went to the main office in Sepost and they made it quite clear all imports of electronics, including comp. parts, radio, cells etc. etc. Plus clothing (including shoes) of any type have been effectively banned. They will not release any of these items unless special permission has been obtained from the ministry of telecom. etc, etc. and will not return any goods sent without this permission.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:37 pm

Thanks for the info.. Interesting. New policy? Think that applies to items that cost under $100 (including shipping) as well?

Putting together a new machine and not in an hurry to do so, so thought I'd save some money by buying online components that are much cheaper to have shipped than purchased locally, like the brand of SSD I'm looking at.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:43 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:It might be worth bearing in mind. Last week I went to the main office in Sepost and they made it quite clear all imports of electronics, including comp. parts, radio, cells etc. etc. Plus clothing (including shoes) of any type have been effectively banned. They will not release any of these items unless special permission has been obtained from the ministry of telecom. etc, etc. and will not return any goods sent without this permission.

Wow, good to know. Guess I'll stick with walking stuff in.

I've always wondered just how serious they are about the ban on importing "telecom" equipment. One interpretation of that would be just commercial grade equipment.But a wider interpretation could include a wifi router. I am fond of Asus routers which I haven't found here... just the TP-Link crap. So I've walked a couple of those in.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:33 pm

ironchefchris wrote:Is it true that if shipped to Peru using a RUC that you're exempt from paying the 18% IGV and would only have to pay the other portion (approx 6%, I believe) in customs duties?

no. i hold a valid RUC and still pay close to 30%.
Ad valorem - 0%, 6% and 11%, according to national subheading.
General Sales Tax (IGV) - 16%.
Municipal Promotion Tax (IPM) - 2%.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:55 pm

gringolandia wrote:Wow, good to know. Guess I'll stick with walking stuff in.

I've always wondered just how serious they are about the ban on importing "telecom" equipment. One interpretation of that would be just commercial grade equipment.But a wider interpretation could include a wifi router. I am fond of Asus routers which I haven't found here... just the TP-Link crap. So I've walked a couple of those in.

Exactly. They are holding both a Linksys AC1900 router and wifi adapter for my music centre. I have made an application to the ministry, but am not hopeful.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:52 pm

ironchefchris wrote:Is it true that if shipped to Peru using a RUC that you're exempt from paying the 18% IGV and would only have to pay the other portion (approx 6%, I believe) in customs duties?

The trick is if you import as a company you have to pay the IGV, but you get it back as a tax credit, which you deduct from your sale IGV. So neto you don't pay IGV over the import, only over the saleprice. ( which is correct ! )

Example,
you import an item for US$ 1000. You pay $100 of shipping costs. You are taxed 18% IGV ( $198 ) + Ad valorem ( 11% = $121 ) total $319 tax.

You sell the item for $2000 inc IGV ( so $1694 + $306 IGV ), but to the taxman you can deduct the $198 already paid taxes, so you pay only $108 to Sunat over your sale.

Your end profit in this case is $1694 - $1100 - $121 = $473 and your customer pays $2000 for a $1000 item ..
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:16 pm

Thanks for the detailed info, fanning. We have a RUC, but we're not buying/reselling. With this ban on telecom equipment it sounds like it wouldn't matter much anyway. Don't see myself going to the trouble of applying to the ministry so I'll just do the simple/lazy thing and keep looking around here for options. This is the first I've heard of this ban on telecom equipment; even for personal use.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:04 pm

I'm still gathering info on this, but a Peruvian friend who deals with this sort of things with his business started explaining to me the process one must go through to get telecom / computer parts into the country.

He says there is a web accessible list of items that have already been approved by the ministry, so if the item you want is already on that list you just need to reference that to import the item successfully.

However, for an item that is not yet on the list, he says there is a process by which one can request to have the item added to the list. It involves filling out some paperwork to explain what the item does and then waiting two weeks for the approval. He says it is actually pretty easy to do for consumer items (no RUC required), however it is more difficult for items that are for commercial use. After you get approval for the item, it will be added to the list and then *anyone* can import the item by just referencing the earlier approval.

Basically the first person who imports any item has to do the heavy lifting to get the approval, and then anyone else can easily follow by referencing the prior approval.

Lot of gaps of knowledge to still fill in here, but it doesn't sound quite as hopeless as before.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:35 pm

Thanks for the update and for continuing to gather info on this, g'landia.

Do you (or anyone) have a link to this list and/or to any other relevant sites on this topic. I did a quick Google search but came up empty. I'm going to Serpost later today and will ask. Should I come up with any info I'll post.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:44 pm

I went to the Sunat Aduanas office earlier for some information. Confirmed that the hard disk drive I'm looking at online (at almost half the cost) has no importation restrictions. Whatever new restrictions look to be more directed towards cell phones and tablets. Not sure why adrian's router and wifi adaptor would be held up/included on the list. Anyway, here's the Sunat webpage where you can look up an item and see if there are restrictions.

http://www.sunat.gob.pe/orientacionadua ... index.html

From the main Sunat page > Aduanas > Aranceles > Índice (column on right with blue background) > Descargue el Arancel 2012 (Word) and (all the way at the bottom) Tratamiento Arancelario (where you enter the code of the item for which you'd like info).

Not sure if the price of what I'm looking for is almost double because of merchants deciding to gouge and not knowing or caring that what they're selling is available in many places in the global marketplace at a much more "democratic price," or (more likely, imo) the Peruvian govt./Sunat places such high import duties that it's not the retailers who benefit from the higher than market prices, but the govt. I'd love to support Peruvian merchants, but I'm not going to support price gouging or voluntarily pay almost double market value so someone in the govt. can waste the money if it isn't at some point pocketed by a corrupt official.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:58 am

What I understand of that list is that anything that broadcasts a signal will need this approval. So any Bluetooth, Wifi or radio emitor will be held by customs to get MTC approval.
A harddisk doesnt broadcasts nothing so is without a MTC restriction.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:25 pm

I have now been to the ministry of Telecommunications and picked up a list of the regulations, which covers some 100 pages of information. The following page of allowable goods give a good idea of what to look for:

You can see a router is allowable if wired only. WIFI is not allowed.
Attachments
Office Lens 20160709-090905a.jpg
Office Lens 20160709-090905a.jpg (342.5 KiB) Viewed 2596 times
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:24 pm

adrian Thorne wrote:You can see a router is allowable if wired only. WIFI is not allowed.

Which is a bit odd considering the US wifi bands are actually more restrictive than the Peruvian ones...
Huayruru
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Huayruru » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:53 pm

gringolandia wrote:
adrian Thorne wrote:You can see a router is allowable if wired only. WIFI is not allowed.

Which is a bit odd considering the US wifi bands are actually more restrictive than the Peruvian ones...

The list presumably refers to imports from anywhere. And there are certainly other regions whose allowed bands do not match those of Peru.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:53 pm

Huayruru wrote:
gringolandia wrote:

The list presumably refers to imports from anywhere. And there are certainly other regions whose allowed bands do not match those of Peru.

True, but I think most people are talking about bringing stuff in from the US where it is cheaper than just about anywhere else. The same router (or any other technical gear) you can buy in the US is generally going to cost quite a bit more in Europe. I'm not even sure why. VAT explains part of it, but even if you exclude that there is still a noticeable cost difference.

(Buying directly from China is the big exception. If you're willing to put up with the huge hassles of buying direct from China you can get great deals.)
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:25 am

I've bought several items from China (using ebay) without any hassle. Things ranging from inexpensive photo gear that's not available in the provinces and would be more expensive in Polvo Azules to harder to find computer components for an older laptop that were also much less expensive.

The biggest hassle I ever had was having to go down to Serpost and pay the duties on a couple of pricier items, but it wasn't that big of a deal - probably fifteen minutes in total depending on the size of the lines. I have no personal experience with Serpost/Sunat in Lima, but from what I read here it sounds like more of a hassle than from what I've experienced in the provinces.

Just my experiences. YMMV.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:43 am

I believe the Customs are getting sharper. I had one item coming from the States and the second from China. Both held on the basis they are wifi. The Chinese purchase is being destroyed because they have no specs for radio Trans./ Receive parts for a music centre. Over the years I have received other declared wifi products without any problem what so ever.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register