TV content from 'home'

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Marina_1990

TV content from 'home'

Postby Marina_1990 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:00 am

Hi

I just started doing research for my university work and am doing some research learn about TV being broadcasted in foreign countries. In other words, are you as an expat able to watch TV from your home country in a convenient way.

I know many expats have problems and there are some solutions our there. I am curious to learn about those solutions and how you manage to watch the news, series and other TV content from 'home'. Would you be willing to help out? My ultimate goal is to start designing a cheap solution that is easy to use and provides high quality reliable TV. Much appreciate your time and help!

Kindest regards, Marina

calygirl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: TV content from 'home'

Postby calygirl » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:28 am

I use ustvnow for shows from the U.S. Otherwise, I get my local news from the internet. Hope this helpful.
Marina_1990

Postby Marina_1990 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:57 am

Yes, thank you! I appreciate all help and links :)
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:40 am

Cable, Netflix and youtube via chromecast.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:08 pm

DirecTV have several programs from back home and they are in English or Spanish as you prefer. Another place to find TV episodes or movies that can be downloaded is tVFreeload.org
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
El Jefe

Postby El Jefe » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:18 pm

calygirl wrote:I use ustvnow for shows from the U.S. Otherwise, I get my local news from the internet. Hope this helpful.

Is there any good food/cooking channels on ustvnow?
RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:24 pm

We use Dish Anywhere on a Chromecast when in Lima.
Marina_1990

Postby Marina_1990 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:00 am

Polaron wrote:DirecTV have several programs from back home and they are in English or Spanish as you prefer. Another place to find TV episodes or movies that can be downloaded is tVFreeload.org

Thanks for reply, that is really helpful. I was wondering you never watch live TV from home?
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:16 pm

Watching pirated or purchased content is one way. But most people would like to just stream content from the US, so I'll speak to that:

Currently the easiest mostly reliable way to bypass online content distributor restrictions on US content being viewed outside of the US is to use a DNS proxy that makes it appear as if one's DNS lookups originated from the US. I bought a lifetime subscription to such a service for just $30.

You can also use a VPN, but that is more difficult to set up, more costly, and not usually necessary.

However, the content distributors *could* block all non-US locations (except maybe Canada and Mexico) from receiving US content very effectively if they really wanted to do so due to one insurmountable fact: it takes a measurable amount of time for internet packets to travel the extra distance.

In Peru, for example, it takes a minimum of 13 ms for light to go from Peru to Miami. A round trip (sending a ping and receiving a response) will take a minimum of 26 ms. And that's a theoretical minimum if there are no intervening routers to slow things down even more, which there are.

I just pinged some servers in Florida and received times over 150 ms. Ouch! That's worse than I expected from my 100 Mbps internet connection!

If they really wanted to be draconian, they could do a ping test and only allow content to play for pings that are below a certain value.

There is no way this could possibly be evaded. In fact, I believe that HDCP (copy protection used by HDMI cables) already includes some time sensitive algorithms, so if you were to somehow transmit an HDCP protected HDMI signal a very long distance (like several miles) the algorithm would kick in, notice the response times between the player and TV are longer than they should be, and prevent it.

The online content distributors presumably don't already do this because (1) it isn't really that big of a problem for them at this point (2) it could negatively impact streaming to mobile devices which have higher latency (3) in some rare (high latency) cases it might prevent people in the US from streaming properly and (4) while not super difficult to implement, it wouldn't be entirely trivial and would cost a decent hunk of change.

But rest assured, if it became a widespread phenomenon that they really wanted to stop, they could do it.

However, I suspect that in the long run, geographically limiting content will become a thing of the past. While Netflix has recently become a bit more strict in detecting VPN usage (Hulu is currently the most strict), they've signaled to their content creators that they intend to push for geographic content neutrality in the future. As power shifts from the content creators to the online content distributors, I think this will eventually happen. Though I could, of course, be wrong (possibly the content creators could ultimately purchase and take over the online content distributors, for example).
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:47 pm

Marina_1990 wrote:
Polaron wrote:DirecTV have several programs from back home and they are in English or Spanish as you prefer. Another place to find TV episodes or movies that can be downloaded is tVFreeload.org

Thanks for reply, that is really helpful. I was wondering you never watch live TV from home?

Sometimes I do watch live TV from home there are certain programs that don't get broadcast on Direct TV or movistar So i download those from the internet
Last edited by Polaron on Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
mickd
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby mickd » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:57 am

I have download the app FilmOn Live TV. This app gives British and American TV, Spanish, German progs. Apart from the time differential, 6 Hours for the UK, it is good to see the current favourite shows from Blighty.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:09 am

gringolandia wrote:Watching pirated or purchased content is one way. But most people would like to just stream content from the US, so I'll speak to that:

Currently the easiest mostly reliable way to bypass online content distributor restrictions on US content being viewed outside of the US is to use a DNS proxy that makes it appear as if one's DNS lookups originated from the US. I bought a lifetime subscription to such a service for just $30.

Could you share with us the details of the who and how of the DNS proxy service you use? $30 for a lifetime subscription sounds super reasonable.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:23 am

ironchefchris wrote:
gringolandia wrote:Watching pirated or purchased content is one way. But most people would like to just stream content from the US, so I'll speak to that:

Could you share with us the details of the who and how of the DNS proxy service you use? $30 for a lifetime subscription sounds super reasonable.

I use GetFlix.com.au

The service works great, even for Hulu. They include VPN as well in case you need it, which you generally don't.

The $30 lifetime deal was via digg.com. Looks like the special is over. Yes, it was a *very* good deal.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:42 am

A thousand thank yous for the info.
someotherdude

Postby someotherdude » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:59 am

gringolandia wrote:
ironchefchris wrote:

I use GetFlix.com.au

The service works great, even for Hulu. They include VPN as well in case you need it, which you generally don't.

The $30 lifetime deal was via digg.com. Looks like the special is over. Yes, it was a *very* good deal.

Why wouldn't you need VPN.
Is this service even legal?
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:58 pm

Because the service providers often do the geolocation based on how your DNS lookups are handled, not based on your IP address (DNS servers in the US are set up to give different results to those outside the US).

Which surprised the heck out of me when I first heard it.

In fact, I *was* using a US based VPN and Hulu was still not working. It was only after I used the DNS proxy that I could get Hulu to work.

Keep in mind this is a moving target. They could always start checking your IP address as well. In certain cases they already do (which is why having access to a VPN can be handy).

But as of the last time I checked, a DNS proxy was good enough for most things.
NYCrisLGray

Postby NYCrisLGray » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:27 pm

Hi I an from Long Island. There are many shutter bugs there. I am missing the shows that were there. Are there any good shutter bug shows available in Arequipa?
Thanks
gurlytech1

Postby gurlytech1 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:41 pm

I had the same problem but found this https://securethoughts.com/best-vpn-hulu/and it worked for me. Might help you too? My netflix account works as well.
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FDiH » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:05 am

I use Kodi + PVR to watch TV streams from all over the world. Kodi is free and runs pretty much on all platforms.

More information:

http://www.wirelesshack.org/a-guide-to- ... shows.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGK1d8g3SMU
https://www.howtogeek.com/247311/how-to ... h-nextpvr/

Kodi: https://kodi.tv/
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:10 am

Great info, thanks to everyone who contributed.
Best wishes. :roll:

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register