Getting jobs and salaries in Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
leoncito

Getting jobs and salaries in Peru

Postby leoncito » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:02 pm

Hi,

Does anybody have information / experience on following. I'm from Western Europe and considering potential migration to Peru. However this leads naturally to question of how to make money in Peru.

Following questions:

1) How easy it is get a good job in Peru. Being well of in my own country wouldn't like to settle for being a waiter in a bar. I have been working within internet, mobile applications and banking lately. Read many people work in teaching english, this is however, not very good option for me as english is not my native language. One thing I could return to would be programming /development.
2) Any chances of getting a decent salary. Right after graduating of the university net after taxes was around 2000+ EUR / month. Now making considerably more. Do I have any chances of getting similar level of income in Peru?
3) Currently my knowledge of Spanish is limited - are the international companies where English could be utilized as a working language? Of course my Spanish could be improved, but that will take some time.

Thanks for any comments and information.

Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Getting jobs and salaries in Peru

Postby Polaron » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:05 pm

Governments in Latin America typically will allow a work visa in cases where the company states that the candidate is indispensable and there is no citizen who can perform that work. Now some of the larger corporations are able to send people to Peru to work in their Peruvian affiliate offices but my understanding is t.hat those companies are few and far between.

if you come to Peru and look for and find work here you are liable to earn considerably less here than you would in Europe. However I freely admit that I am NOT an expert on working in Peru since I am retired. I hope some of my fellow posters on the boards will be able to give you more information on this. I also hope that the information is much more positive than what I have offered here

Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
SARAY

Postby SARAY » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:49 pm

Hi,

I would just like to share my expiriences with you,hoping to help you.I moved in Peru almost a 7 months now,and I m from South-Eastern Europe,I got married here with Peruvian. I ll try to answer your questions from expirience and things that I know. First moving here is big difference then Europe,all culture and style of life is different. Finding job here,well if you don t speak spanish is little hard,but always you can start let s say teaching English is job that you can do until you find some better. That job is payed something like 300$ and you don t need resident documents or working visa. In other case you need your carnet de extranjeria,document with who you can work legaly. If you get that there is always offers in bars,restorans even with some basic spanish they ll accept you but don t expect salary like in Europe,not even close. Also apartments are little bit expensive to rent too,at least if you want to live closer to nice parts of Lima. If you have some more questions that I can help you,please ask .

Regards :)
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:54 am

leoncito wrote:Hi,

Does anybody have information / experience on following. I'm from Western Europe and considering potential migration to Peru. However this leads naturally to question of how to make money in Peru.

Following questions:

1) How easy it is get a good job in Peru. Being well of in my own country wouldn't like to settle for being a waiter in a bar. I have been working within internet, mobile applications and banking lately. Read many people work in teaching english, this is however, not very good option for me as english is not my native language. One thing I could return to would be programming /development.
2) Any chances of getting a decent salary. Right after graduating of the university net after taxes was around 2000+ EUR / month. Now making considerably more. Do I have any chances of getting similar level of income in Peru?
3) Currently my knowledge of Spanish is limited - are the international companies where English could be utilized as a working language? Of course my Spanish could be improved, but that will take some time.

1) In tourist areas, you'll probably find something basic with a bit of determination, but as the previous poster said, you'll get paid peanuts, maybe 300 or 400 euros a month for a six day week.

2) Not really, unless you've graduated from a Latin American university and speak fluent Spanish and you work in a well-paid field. Even if you work in a field where there are skills shortages, you really need to sort out any job in advance of coming to the country.

3) Only if you get sent to Peru by a multinational company from your own country, otherwise you're in the same position as 2.

If you check the business pages, there are frequently conversations about programming jobs, so that might be your best hope, but if your Spanish is limited, well, I wouldn't hold your breath. Good luck. You never know what might happen.
Rivers67

Postby Rivers67 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:34 pm

SARAY wrote:Hi,

I would just like to share my expiriences with you,hoping to help you.I moved in Peru almost a 7 months now,and I m from South-Eastern Europe,I got married here with Peruvian. I ll try to answer your questions from expirience and things that I know. First moving here is big difference then Europe,all culture and style of life is different. Finding job here,well if you don t speak spanish is little hard,but always you can start let s say teaching English is job that you can do until you find some better. That job is payed something like 300$ and you don t need resident documents or working visa. In other case you need your carnet de extranjeria,document with who you can work legaly. If you get that there is always offers in bars,restorans even with some basic spanish they ll accept you but don t expect salary like in Europe,not even close. Also apartments are little bit expensive to rent too,at least if you want to live closer to nice parts of Lima. If you have some more questions that I can help you,please ask .

Basically as Saray says. Don't expect to be making the money you would in your home country. Expect $300 per month for basic work and between $500-$700 for I.T work. You won't make anywhere near compared to western europe and living costs for apartments can start from $600 upwards in the better areas of town. You can move to a cheaper area but the traffic is awful, no real formal public transport system and most of the districts aren't attractive. I would not waste your time looking at moving here for work unless you already have a job lined up.
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:37 am

If you are a developer or in this field, you can probably find a job making $2k USD per month although this assumes you have a carnet. This is based on several people I know. Without the carnet and without conversational spanish, I think you'll find it hard here to come close to your salary expectations.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:56 pm

First off, yes, of course you need to learn Spanish to get a good job in Peru. That goes without saying unless you're so highly skilled that they absolutely NEED you.

That said, it is entirely possible to make $4-10K per month (or more) if you work for a multinational firm. You'll still make less than you would doing the exact same job in Europe. And you'll be working longer hours. But obviously jobs with good pay exist. Someone has to be buying all the nice cars you see on the road. Also, if you can get a job that is related to mining then you're golden. Lots of money in mining, of course. Think creatively. A lot of "mining" jobs have almost nothing to do with mining, per se. A psychoanalyst could be a psychoanalyst for miners, for example. You just need to convince the mining company you're adding value somehow.

As others suggested, getting a job before coming is best. And a good way to do that might be to get a job with a multinational that has operations in Peru. Or Brazil. A lot of times a company will have their main office in Brazil, but have a satellite office in Peru. If so, expect to be traveling back and forth a lot.

First step is to learn some Spanish though.
ElenaB

Postby ElenaB » Sun May 08, 2016 7:09 am

SARAY wrote:Hi,

Hi Saray, I am moving back to Peru with my gf who also is from East Europe. Where did you studied spanish, any school you can recommend?
hatchepsut
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby hatchepsut » Sun May 08, 2016 5:20 pm

leoncito wrote:Hi,

Following questions:

Have you ever been to Peru? Before packing your bags permanently and giving up your job, I strongly advise you to spend a few weeks in Peru to have a look around and to get to know the country.

Getting a job in Peru is tough. For every job opening, thousands apply and fluent Spanish is required as everybody in Peru speaks Spanish.
Especially if you want to work as a 'waiter in a bar', you need fluent Spanish.

Forget about banking. A degree in banking and near native Spanish skills are required. As thousands of Peruvians with a degree in banking are applying for jobs, banks won't even consider helping you getting a work visa. They have enough local candidates.

Getting a work visa is tough as employers have to prove that they can't find a suitable candidate for the job opening in Peru. And the process to get a work visa is long and tough.

Forget about getting a job that will pay you 2000 euros a month. You will have to be lucky to get 200 euros a month if you don't have a work visa and don't speak Spanish.

Cost of living in Peru isn't cheap. Most consumer goods cost even more than in Europe.
Decent accommodation is hard to find and rents are expensive. Most Peruvians share a flat or house with several family members to be able to afford the rent.

If you don't speak Spanish fluently and don't know your way around then many people will overcharge you and rip you off.

And if you decide to come to Peru to start ''a new life'' then I strongly advice to keep enough money in your savings account to be able to pay a ticket back home and to pick up life back home if things in Peru don't work out.
Often foreigners come to Peru hoping to be successful here but end up penniless and homeless. If you run out of money then the embassy of your country won't help you financially and there are no social welfare benefits in Peru. Not even for Peruvians.
KJB17

Postby KJB17 » Tue May 10, 2016 10:55 am

I understand pay can be very low for many jobs but how is the pay for educated positions? For example in engineering or environmental? I know the number has to be less than in the U.S. but pay has to be more than 1000 soles a month doesn't it?
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Tue May 10, 2016 11:46 am

A good salary in Peru is considered to be 1500 to 2,000 soles per month. There are of course jobs that pay more but they are few and far between.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
KJB17

Postby KJB17 » Tue May 10, 2016 12:15 pm

With that pay rate how do people afford to buy all of the housing that is for sale? I understand many live with family which is what I intend to do at first. How can one afford to pay for a car and a mortgage and all of the other living expenses? Even small homes in modest areas we've looked at are $100-150k, not soles. There is now way to make that mortgage payment with all the other expenses unless you have 5 working adults sharing the 2 bedroom place. Is the answer to have your own business then instead of working for such a low wage? What do people do who don't live with family? I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining I'm just trying to understand what I'm looking at. I really appreciate the feedback.
caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby caliguy » Tue May 10, 2016 12:32 pm

KJB17 wrote:With that pay rate how do people afford to buy all of the housing that is for sale? I understand many live with family which is what I intend to do at first. How can one afford to pay for a car and a mortgage and all of the other living expenses? Even small homes in modest areas we've looked at are $100-150k, not soles. There is now way to make that mortgage payment with all the other expenses unless you have 5 working adults sharing the 2 bedroom place. Is the answer to have your own business then instead of working for such a low wage? What do people do who don't live with family? I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining I'm just trying to understand what I'm looking at. I really appreciate the feedback.

lots of folks here make money on the side selling on the streets. also, it's not unusual for someone to convert the front part of their house into a menu or bodega.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
fakedemout

Postby fakedemout » Tue May 10, 2016 12:36 pm

Yeah, I know a lady in Ica that turned part of her house into a wine bodega.
A lot of sweet Lucy but after a few bottles, it's all good.
hatchepsut
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby hatchepsut » Wed May 11, 2016 7:37 am

KJB17 wrote:With that pay rate how do people afford to buy all of the housing that is for sale? I understand many live with family which is what I intend to do at first. How can one afford to pay for a car and a mortgage and all of the other living expenses? Even small homes in modest areas we've looked at are $100-150k, not soles. There is now way to make that mortgage payment with all the other expenses unless you have 5 working adults sharing the 2 bedroom place. Is the answer to have your own business then instead of working for such a low wage? What do people do who don't live with family? I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining I'm just trying to understand what I'm looking at. I really appreciate the feedback.

A large number of Peruvians who can afford those homes run their own business or have a highly paid government job but there are also millions of Peruvians work abroad and save money to buy a home in Peru.
And loads of Peruvians also make a lot of money with...narcotrafico. Peru is the biggest producer of cocaine in the world. (it's no longer Colombia)

In some areas of Lima, housing is expensive but in many areas of Lima, land and housing is free. Just look at the hills surrounding Lima. It's full of shantytowns. People squat a piece of land and build their own home with wood and a roof of corrugated steel.

The waitress at TGI Fridays, the checkout girl at Vivanda and the receptionist at the Marriot, can't afford to live in Miraflores. But they face a daily commute lasting 2, 3 or 4 hours on filthy, old, overcrowded buses back to the the poorest districts of Lima.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register