Visa Renewal new Time Frame

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
MCRLLC40

Visa Renewal new Time Frame

Postby MCRLLC40 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:49 am

Has anyone done a run to the border to get their tourist visa renewed? I am wondering if the calendar year restriction is being enforced yet. From my attorney, I learned the law passed Dec 2105, and the Gov takes 3 months to implement it, which makes it this month. So I am wondering if people are seeing it being enforced this month

Thanks

Mateka

Re: Visa Renewal new Time Frame

Postby Mateka » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:39 pm

It looks like this law is being enforced :?
I am currently sitting in a hotel in Arica after crossing the border and hoping to cross back again tomorrow. I did run into problems though. The first mistake was I failed to have on me my paper to say I had enter the country just under 6 months ago. I had my passport obviously, but not that paper. I had to pay S/15 to get a replacement. Also the immigration officials did mention to me that I had been in Peru for 6 months and that I may not be able to come back!!!! :shock: :shock: I was visibly shocked and upset as I was not totally aware this law was in force. I pleaded with them that I need to get back in when I come back tomorrow. They asked some questions about what I am doing in Peru etc and said maybe they can give me 90 days but as I was holding up the bus I had to go and come back tomorrow. All my belongings and a long term girlfriend is waiting back in Lima for me!!! :( :shock: :cry:
I'll post an update later
asp

Postby asp » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:59 am

There is no legal basis to enforce it at this time. The Reglamento for DL 1236 is yet to be published. The law will not come into effect until 90 days after the Reglamento is published.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:46 pm

asp wrote:There is no legal basis to enforce it at this time. The Reglamento for DL 1236 is yet to be published. The law will not come into effect until 90 days after the Reglamento is published.

That nay be the way it is supposed to work, but I personally know of at least one case in which a person was not allowed back into Peru.

Overstaying permission as a tourist in Peru is not a problem until you want to leave the country. Upon leaving you must pay a fine of $5 per day beyond the amount of time you are granted as a regular tourist. When your time Runs Out you are classified as irregular, but not illegal. The good side of that is that Peruvian authorities are not running around arresting people whose time has passed.

The bad part is that if and when you want to leave the country, you'll either have to pay a small fortune or not be allowed to leave. I was just one of the case and that you would simply allow people to renew your tourist permits as often as they wish. I Can Only Imagine that people from certain countries were living as tourists and working without permission in Peru and not paying taxes, and the government decided to tighten up the rules.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:16 pm

Hi Polaron. The second poster didn't actually say he overstayed, he said he'd just lost his TAM, which isn't that serious, as immigration keep computer records of those who enter and leave Peru. Passports are stamped as well. Also, it may depend on which country he is from. There are also stricter visa requirements for those who are not from the Communidad Andina, North America and Europe. So, out of curiosity, was the person you know not allowed back into Peru because they were working illegally or because they had overstayed, or were they from a country where tighter visa conditions are imposed? If it were any of those scenarios, then that may be different to the second poster's situation.

The second poster said he'd only left his belongings and his long-term girlfriend in Peru. So, unless he's broken any law or has applied for a country specific visa, until the new law comes in, as ASP says, immigration will generally let in those tourists like him who legally exit and enter the country, even if they have been in it for more than six consecutive months in a year. Perhaps when the OP re-posts, he can clarify or even let us know whether he's been
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:39 am

The person in question was a US person.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:47 am

Polaron wrote:The person in question was a US person.

Since the law has not taken affect, there could be any number of reasons the 'person in question' was not be let into Peru, if you get my drift.
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:42 am

"When your time Runs Out you are classified as irregular, but not illegal."

Is the term really "irregular"?
Sounds like someone with poor bowel movements.
Large and in charge!
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:00 am

Irregulars, lol. Great term. Wonder if that will catch on elsewhere.
We are not law breakers (illegals), we are irregulars.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:26 pm

jumpinjack wrote:

Irregulars, lol. Great term. Wonder if that will catch on elsewhere.
We are not law breakers (illegals), we are irregulars.

The term irregular is used by immigration for someone whose permission in the country has expired. It doesn't really matter what any of us think about the term the simple fact is that it's the term that is used and someone who's overstayed his permission to be in the country is not viewed as a criminal in Peru or a "lawbreaker."

By the way I don't know on what Authority the poster is claiming that the law has not yet taken effect. If you ask immigration authorities they will tell you that it took effect in January. Furthermore they will say that foreigners can remain in Peru in the category of tourists for a maximum of 183 days per 365 day period. After that 183 days has been met the tourist in question is supposed to wait another hundred and eighty-three days before he or she can reenter the country.

As I am not an armchair lawyer myself, I don't pretend to be the absolute Authority on legal matters in Peru. I only know what I've been told by immigration officials and by my lawyer. As I said personally I I'm not thrilled about this new regulation and/or enforcement. If it were up to me, I would not enforce it.
Mateka

Postby Mateka » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:41 am

I am the person who posted 2nd

Just to update, I am from AUS, and I was allowed back in the next day, no questions asked. I didn't actually over-stay my time I was almost a week early. I only got 90 days but then again I did not ask for more for fear of upsetting anyone :? It seems a little weird like no one really knows what the actual rules are, first they some one thing then the other and even then they are not sure and are checking and double checking with other officials and not even referring to any official looking documents or even a website. It all seems to be by hearsay. But I am glad to be back, even if it is for 90 days. I don't think I will do it again and just overstay and pay the fee when the time comes. I still hear it is $1 day not $5!!
I have also been told by locals that the border crossing at Tumbes is a lot more relaxed than Tacna, that was advised to me this morning.
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:12 pm

Learn to offer propinas.
They'd rather have a few extra soles in the pocket and food on the table than enforce some silly law.
Large and in charge!
jhand8pp4
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jhand8pp4 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:25 pm

Actually, your problem was not having overstayed but having lost your Tam. I remember being at the airport in Mexico City and I had lost my paper acknowledging my temporary visa while I was in the airport to change flights. They would not let me on the plane for the connecting flight. I had to go to the immigration office in the airport to obtain another one. Since then I have tried to avoid the airport in Mexico City. The question still remains whether they would have allowed you back into Peru if you had overstayed your 183 days. I do not know what would have happened. I think there are some on this site who would suggest that you would not have been allowed back into the country. Also, what will you do if you have overstayed and a policeman stops you on a street and demands to see your papers? If you have overstayed, will you be deported? I do not know, but I think it is a possibility you need to consider.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:32 pm

bigdaddy wrote:Learn to offer propinas.
They'd rather have a few extra soles in the pocket and food on the table than enforce some silly law.

Or........When you reach the officer say as loud as you can "Is this the line that takes bribes?"
And you all have a good chuckle and you are on your way.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:50 pm

jhand8pp4 wrote:Actually, your problem was not having overstayed but having lost your Tam. I remember being at the airport in Mexico City and I had lost my paper acknowledging my temporary visa while I was in the airport to change flights. They would not let me on the plane for the connecting flight. I had to go to the immigration office in the airport to obtain another one. Since then I have tried to avoid the airport in Mexico City. The question still remains whether they would have allowed you back into Peru if you had overstayed your 183 days. I do not know what would have happened. I think there are some on this site who would suggest that you would not have been allowed back into the country. Also, what will you do if you have overstayed and a policeman stops you on a street and demands to see your papers? If you have overstayed, will you be deported? I do not know, but I think it is a possibility you need to consider.

If you have overstayed your permission you will not be deporte, generally speaking. According to immigration officials, exceeding the time limit Fort Worth permission is not considered a crime. The tourist who overstayed his or her visa is considered to be in irregular status, not a legal status. Illegal status according to those officials occurs only when you have entered the country without permission or without passing through immigration.

As an example let's say you are from Canada or the US you fly into the airport in Lima you go through immigration and you get 6 months permission. You run up to six months and don't leave the country you just stay on. Nine months after that the government discovers that your permission to be in the country has expired.

They will not support you. In fact they will not let you leave the country until you pay the fine. If a policeman stopped he will say you need to get your immigration situation straightened out.

Now let's say you are a citizen of say Egypt and you went to the country by ship and sneak aroundt and don't go through immigration. Integration would consider you to be illegal, and at that point you would be subject to a possible arrest and deportation.

Those of us from North America come from a paradigm in which our home country is extremely strict and rigorous when it comes to immigration. Most other countries don't approach that level of severity.
SoNouveau

Postby SoNouveau » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:35 pm

Mateka wrote:I am the person who posted 2nd

Just to update, I am from AUS, and I was allowed back in the next day, no questions asked. I didn't actually over-stay my time I was almost a week early. I only got 90 days but then again I did not ask for more for fear of upsetting anyone :? It seems a little weird like no one really knows what the actual rules are, first they some one thing then the other and even then they are not sure and are checking and double checking with other officials and not even referring to any official looking documents or even a website. It all seems to be by hearsay. But I am glad to be back, even if it is for 90 days. I don't think I will do it again and just overstay and pay the fee when the time comes. I still hear it is $1 day not $5!!
I have also been told by locals that the border crossing at Tumbes is a lot more relaxed than Tacna, that was advised to me this morning.

Just FYI, my experience has been just the opposite--that the crossing in Tumbes/Ecuador is FAR more bureaucratic and less "friendly" than in Tacna. I was in Peru from June to December of 2015. I went to Chile for 2 months, came back through Arica in February and was given another 6 months, no questions asked. No hesitation, no nothing.

By contrast, about 2-3 years back, I went to Ecuador for a day, to get more time, and went out and back through the border near Tumbes. I actually ended up with LESS TIME allotted me than when I had left!!!! I know--it sounds crazy. But I was lectured on the fact that if I wanted to live in Peru for extended periods of time that I should apply for resident status (or whatever it's legally called).

Too, just FYI, Peru is a very, very, very odd place--and very bureaucratic. It more or less works under its own rules--not the rules or norms that you might expect "back home," be that the U.S., Australia, or wherever. I had DENTAL FLOSS and VITAMINS sent to me in Cajamarca earlier this year and the package was held in Lima. They wanted me to provide original sales receipts (!!!), a copy of my passport, and 2 other documents, as I recall--to prove that the (200) vitamins and dental floss were under $200 in value. 'Something like that. I realize this is probably an unusual incident but it gives you some idea of the way things work in Peru. Dental floss! And vitamins!

Soooooo, don't expect that anything will be standardized or that there'll be a typical way of operating. Just FYI.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:02 pm

Out of curiosity why would anyone expect another 6 months after re entering after just a couple of days out of Peru?
In addition why would anyone be confounded when asked to prove how much their shipment is valued? I am pretty sure the inspectors do not shop where you did, so how the heck do they determine the value of your package?
The laws are pretty clear and available online, if you slip through the cracks good for you bad for Peruvians but you shouldn't moan and groan when you are asked to conform to Peruvian laws.
SoNouveau

Postby SoNouveau » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:25 pm

Okay, first things first. In my humble opinion, everyone on the planet knows that 200 vitamins and 3 rolls of floss is PROBABLY less than $200 US. (If not, then they shouldn't be working in a government post inspecting incoming packages.) Asking me for a receipt is pointless 'cause I could doctor ANYTHING up and send it to them--so the bureaucracy here is IN-SANE. Surely you don't argue with that, do you?!? Also, my asking someone in the U.S. to mail me a receipt for something they bought 6 weeks before and shipped is outlandish. Even more so when the total purchase price was probably $25 US. Add to this the fact that I spend $10,000 + in Peru each year, and the receipt seems like an exercise in futility We're not talking about painkillers here, or even a prescription drug. It's just STRING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With maybe some wax on it. And vitamin A, vitamin B, iron, calcium, etc. THAT'S my gripe--and I think it's legitimate.

Regarding my reentering the country, I didn't have 6 months when I first came in. I got just 3 months. And when I went to Tumbes (just a month of so later) and crossed the border I was hoping to get 6 months--to more or less match that of the companion I was traveling with. But I got a lecture and something like 30 days. So I did end up with less time than when I left.

I'm tempted to say ... why are people online so defensive?!?! Geez. Get a grip. I have a valid point. I'll just keep quiet from now on and let everyone just W-A-D-E through the same senseless bureaucratic poop that I've waded through. (I thought this was a FORUM. I guess I'm wrong.)
sbaustin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sbaustin » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:33 pm

SoNouveau wrote:I'm tempted to say ... why are people online so defensive?!?! Geez. Get a grip. I have a valid point. I'll just keep quiet from now on and let everyone just W-A-D-E through the same senseless bureaucratic poop that I've waded through. (I thought this was a FORUM. I guess I'm wrong.)

We aren't allowed to have a differing opinion? Post away but don't expect everyone to agree with you.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:54 pm

SoNouveau wrote:Okay, first things first. In my humble opinion, everyone on the planet knows that 200 vitamins and 3 rolls of floss is PROBABLY less than $200 US. (If not, then they shouldn't be working in a government post inspecting incoming packages.) Asking me for a receipt is pointless 'cause I could doctor ANYTHING up and send it to them--so the bureaucracy here is IN-SANE. Surely you don't argue with that, do you?!? Also, my asking someone in the U.S. to mail me a receipt for something they bought 6 weeks before and shipped is outlandish. Even more so when the total purchase price was probably $25 US. Add to this the fact that I spend $10,000 + in Peru each year, and the receipt seems like an exercise in futility We're not talking about painkillers here, or even a prescription drug. It's just STRING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With maybe some wax on it. And vitamin A, vitamin B, iron, calcium, etc. THAT'S my gripe--and I think it's legitimate.

Regarding my reentering the country, I didn't have 6 months when I first came in. I got just 3 months. And when I went to Tumbes (just a month of so later) and crossed the border I was hoping to get 6 months--to more or less match that of the companion I was traveling with. But I got a lecture and something like 30 days. So I did end up with less time than when I left.

I'm tempted to say ... why are people online so defensive?!?! Geez. Get a grip. I have a valid point. I'll just keep quiet from now on and let everyone just W-A-D-E through the same senseless bureaucratic poop that I've waded through. (I thought this was a FORUM. I guess I'm wrong.)

Talk about defensive "Asking me for a receipt is pointless 'cause I could doctor ANYTHING"
"my asking someone in the U.S. to mail me a receipt for something they bought "6 weeks before and shipped is outlandish"
"everyone on the planet knows that 200 vitamins and 3 rolls of floss is PROBABLY less than $200 US"
Don't stress youeself. You are on Perus field and it is their ball, you have to play by their rules.
carlostanner

Postby carlostanner » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:02 am

To get this thread back on topic, my friend was just given only 30 days when entering Peru in Lima today. She had already stayed six months this year, on two separate trips, and was returning for a third trip. Does anyone have any information on particular processes to get a carnet for, say, volunteer work, rather than being employed, or what are her options, as she has a commitment to volunteer for a non-profit until the end of the year and next year as well. Any information, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
jhand8pp4
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jhand8pp4 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:39 pm

I just have questions to clarify. Does your friend receive free room and board as a part of her volunteer work? Is the volunteer work connected to a religious group? Your response to these questions may assist other members in answering your question.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:31 pm

Do organizations who contract volunteers make any effort to arrange visas and length or have any pull (compared to a foreign individual just entering on a tourist visa) when it comes to how long their volunteers can stay? Did this person mention to the immigration officer that they had arranged to volunteer for a year and/or produce any documentation to back that up? Would it even matter?

jumpinjack wrote:Don't stress youeself. You are on Perus field and it is their ball, you have to play by their rules.

Great point, bigdaddy. They should have this posted at the airport for international arrivals, at border crossings, and at migraciones for anyone applying for a carnet so that when it comes to rules, culture, and how things are done in Perú, tourists and expats alike are aware that they're not in Kansas anymore.
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:35 am

That is a great point, irony but I didn't say it. Lol
The thread starter never returned.
Maybe he decided not to chance the border hop.
Large and in charge!
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:13 pm

Oops, my bad. Apologies for confusing you with another poster, or another poster with you, or whatever the case may be for whatever reasons.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:14 pm

Polaron wrote:
asp wrote:There is no legal basis to enforce it at this time. The Reglamento for DL 1236 is yet to be published. The law will not come into effect until 90 days after the Reglamento is published.

That nay be the way it is supposed to work, but I personally know of at least one case in which a person was not allowed back into Peru.

Overstaying permission as a tourist in Peru is not a problem until you want to leave the country. Upon leaving you must pay a fine of $5 per day beyond the amount of time you are granted as a regular tourist. When your time Runs Out you are classified as irregular, but not illegal. The good side of that is that Peruvian authorities are not running around arresting people whose time has passed.

The bad part is that if and when you want to leave the country, you'll either have to pay a small fortune or not be allowed to leave. I was just one of the case and that you would simply allow people to renew your tourist permits as often as they wish. I Can Only Imagine that people from certain countries were living as tourists and working without permission in Peru and not paying taxes, and the government decided to tighten up the rules.

$5 per day? Thought it was $1 per day ( paid that a few years back)
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:43 am

Then Krista from a dollar a day to $5 a day this year, but as always in Latin America is often depends on the individual to deal with.
Zkorvin

Postby Zkorvin » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:18 am

I'm not really sure what's going on with this new rule.

I'm from the UK, I've been in Peru on and off since April 2015, I was given 183 days, I stayed for 90 days, went back to England for a month, then stayed in Peru for six months, flew to Ecuador for a week, got back in to Peru no problem (they asked for proof of a flight out of Peru, I bought one then refunded it) then I over stayed my 183 days, I left October 2016 to England for two weeks with a $1 a day fine but then when I came back I was told off for over staying my 183 days but was then given 90 days. I've spent at least 300 of the last 365 days in Peru.
Aquaman

Postby Aquaman » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:05 pm

Just returned from the Tacna border hop last week/was told that I could not re-enter due to the new 6 months out of the year rule. I have been a tourist for the past DECADE and have always flown out/returned via the Lima airport and ALWAYS received the 183 days because my wife has always been with me and she made sure they knew we were married. We drove across this time/Tacna and the only reason I was able to come back in with 90 days was because my wife promised them I would get my residency - this just happened, so the new rules ARE in place - be warned!
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:18 pm

Aquaman wrote:Just returned from the Tacna border hop last week/was told that I could not re-enter due to the new 6 months out of the year rule. I have been a tourist for the past DECADE and have always flown out/returned via the Lima airport and ALWAYS received the 183 days because my wife has always been with me and she made sure they knew we were married. We drove across this time/Tacna and the only reason I was able to come back in with 90 days was because my wife promised them I would get my residency - this just happened, so the new rules ARE in place - be warned!

Yeah seems to be enforced now. Be aware also about the new RIM they use. It turns Peru into a police state. Just same picture as everywhere. I hope for you it will not turn like Thailand or so :shock:

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register