Return plane ticket?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Willowycandelo

Return plane ticket?

Postby Willowycandelo » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:18 am

Hey all--If I am planning to stay in Peru, is it true I need a return plane ticket to show the customs official? Or can I just buy a one way ticket? Thanks!

Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Return plane ticket?

Postby Sergio Bernales » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:25 pm

It's the airline that probably won't let you board if you don't have a return ticket.
RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:51 pm

The solution is simple. Just purchase a one way to Lima and a separate refundable return ticket of which you will cancel upon arrival...
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:34 pm

The last time I came to prove I flew on Delta with a one-way ticket and not a word was said to me. That was this past September.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:17 pm

Sergio is correct. If anyone might raise questions it would be the airline. But I doubt they would care either.

I've never heard of Peruvian customs officers asking to see a return ticket.

If you are planning to stay and you tell them that then they very well may want to know how you plan to qualify to stay, though. When I flew in on a one way ticket and said I planned to stay I just said I'm married to a Peruvian and that was that. I can't remember if they stamped my passport for 90 days or 180... But either way I had my CE by the time that expired.

If you're planning to overstay illegally, I suppose it would be best to give a specific date when they ask how long you plan to stay. Answering "I don't know" possibly could give them reason to ask to see a return ticket, I suppose.
Willowycandelo

Postby Willowycandelo » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:17 pm

Thanks. I figured I would just say I'm coming to travel in Peru and I would like to stay for 6 months. Is that OK? Then I can change my status later.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:27 pm

This link says the same thing:

http://www.limaeasy.com/peru-info/peruvian-visa

(That technically a return ticket is required, but it is not enforced.)

Best bet, in my opinion, would be to give a specific date that is about five months after your arrival. Have an answer to the question of why you will be in Peru that long in case they ask.

I flew down one way on American and had no problems.
Sir_Stier

Postby Sir_Stier » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:36 am

I did quite a bit of research on the issue myself. As soon as I arrived at the check in counter, I can confirm that was asked about a return ticket.

Initially I was considering a bus ticket, or worse case booking last minute at Expedia, and taking advantage of the 24 hour cancellation. For peace of mind, to avoid a hassle, and tying up funds for months...I ordered a 48 hour return ticket for $14.

The website provides an actual return ticket, which can be verified on JetBlue's website, with a confirmation and itinerary number. You have to purchase it the day before to provide time to process the flight and allow a time window. Believe you can also book in advance. In my case, they confirmed that I had a return flight and handed me my boarding pass :) https://flyonward.com/en/

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register