Skyscanner has the best fares!

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Skyscanner has the best fares!

Postby woodchuck » Sat May 21, 2016 10:36 am

If you are from the US, you probably believe that the airfare search engines you are familiar with will give you the best prices. Wrong! I recently compared flights from Lima to other areas of Peru & Skyscanner was 60% cheaper on average. That buys a lot of ceviche. Hope this info helps. :roll:

caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Skyscanner has the best fares!

Postby caliguy » Sat May 21, 2016 12:15 pm

i just deal with Lan/LATAM directly at jockey plaza. don't care for the flights that include stops.
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
Danny55
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Danny55 » Sat May 21, 2016 2:37 pm

I have now found that google flights are actually even better than skyscanner, hipmunk, kayak etc...
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Sat May 21, 2016 7:09 pm

Great idea for a thread!

I have been watching flight prices for a trip to Vancouver for the last 2 weeks. Sky Scanner and Google Flights matched up with the cheapest of the group I have been following, which is Kayak.

CheapTickets, Atrapalo, and Orbit have all been consistently more expensive.

Google Flights seems to fetch and calculate fares faster, which is a nice plus. Also, it shows an easy-to-read suggestion for cheaper flights based on date changes. I had no idea Google Flights existed, so thanks very much for the lead.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Sat May 21, 2016 8:01 pm

I also had no idea that Google Flights existed.
You can learn something new every day! Thanks. :roll:
hatchepsut
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby hatchepsut » Mon May 23, 2016 8:29 am

I generally get the best airfares when I buy my ticket by the airlines directly.

Cut out the middleman and you pay less. Those websites add hidden extras like beefed up credit card transaction fees and (often non-existing) taxes.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:26 pm

What about using a travel agent?
I realize you have to pay a commission for their services; but possibly they have special deals that aren't online.
They are the professionals in the travel industry so it would be logical they have the best info.
Any one have experience with travel agents getting the best price - especially travel within Peru?
Thanks & safe traveling. :roll:
salchipapaismivida

Postby salchipapaismivida » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:50 pm

last time i buyed a ticket travel agent was 60% cheaperthen skyscanner (from lima to arequipa), I am helping setting up a travel business and maybe will have access to amadeus, if that is the case i will make something like skyscanner but lower fees, ( they use amadeus too). it is the only way to buy tickets.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:11 pm

Alan wrote:Great idea for a thread!

I have been watching flight prices for a trip to Vancouver for the last 2 weeks. Sky Scanner and Google Flights matched up with the cheapest of the group I have been following, which is Kayak.

CheapTickets, Atrapalo, and Orbit have all been consistently more expensive.

Google Flights seems to fetch and calculate fares faster, which is a nice plus. Also, it shows an easy-to-read suggestion for cheaper flights based on date changes. I had no idea Google Flights existed, so thanks very much for the lead.

I'd like to add a follow up to this mail. It turns out that buying a ticket through Google Flights is impossible: they refer you directly to the airline - whom I called - and they quoted me a price $300 dollars higher than what Google Flights had published! Plop.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:05 pm

Are the 60% cheaper prices due to Skyscanner, or due to the fact that buying a ticket as a Peruvian citizen or resident is much cheaper?

I just ask because my family just visited Iquitos recently with another family, and the amount my family paid (as residents of Peru) was *much* cheaper than the amount the other family (residents of the US) paid. I don't know the exact amounts offhand, but it was something like 60% cheaper. Exact same flights, booked at exact same time.

For flights from Lima to outside of Peru I still like Orbitz. It is easy and I've been getting some great deals recently.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:44 pm

I can tell you that previous to getting my CE, I always had to pay a higher rate.
Some people refer to this as the - gringo tax. :roll:
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:46 pm

Postby salchipapaismivida » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:50 pm

last time i buyed a ticket travel agent was 60% cheaperthen skyscanner (from lima to arequipa), I am helping setting up a travel business and maybe will have access to amadeus, if that is the case i will make something like skyscanner but lower fees, ( they use amadeus too). it is the only way to buy tickets.

I am positive other members would like to know more about this - amadeus software.
Can you provide some more info - please? Thanks. :roll:

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register