General info on computers in Perú

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

General info on computers in Perú

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:20 pm

What's the deal with buying an Operating System? Mac OS and Linux are offered as free downloads, but what's the deal with Windows 10? The guy who's going to do my build will likely offer me the option of loading Windows 10, but I'm wondering if it's just going to be a 30 day trial version. I asked one of the vendors in the local Compu Center who quoted me a price of a whole S/. 4. Obviously not official with a license.

I don't want problems with Microsoft every time they offer some basic update or other potential problems. Going through Microsoft is more expensive here than other countries. Looking for least expensive way to get a legit version. Not sure if I'll be having this built before the end of July, otherwise I'll take advantage of Microsoft's offer to upgrade to 10 for free from 7 or 8. What does everyone do if they have a computer built for them at Wilson's or Compu Center?

fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: General info on computers in Perú

Postby fanning » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:31 pm

As a business we were forced some years ago to legalize all our computers buying a volume license for our computers, which costed like US$ 220 per license. The advantage of this license was that it is eternal, and you can transfer it to a new computer if your renew your computers.
The OEM which comes with the computers of Ripley and Saga, is legal, but only allows to use on that particular computer.( Also for business use ) Once you replace it, you loose the license.
But we found out that these computers for daily office-life, are more than sufficient, and taking into account that a VLSC ( volume license ) costs US$ 220, it works out cheaper to but computers with Windows preinstalled, which cost (including the OEM windows license ) around S/. 1000 - 2000 soles for a decent one.

Office legal, cost around US$ 250 per license ( for business ) and S/. 120 on mercadolibre Office365 per year, for home use.

It highly depends on what you use your computer for. Homeuse, or business use.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:18 pm

The Windows 10 upgrade is still free, for another 9 days or so (end of this month).

And Microsoft has said that they aren't really checking if the version of Windows you are upgrading from is legitimate or not.

So at this particular time you can put on Windows 7 whatever way you can, legitimate or not, and then upgrade it to Windows 10. As long as you have Windows 10 by the end of this month you should be good.

But if you wait... who knows. I assume there will be ways to get illegitimate copies, but those may have the very same problems with upgrades that you are concerned about.

Keep in mind, though, that Microsoft has not said that Windows 10 updates will be free forever. I'm sure they'll start charging for updates at some point. They've actually indicated that Windows 10 may be the "last" version of Windows, and that they'll be transitioning to a constant upgrade model instead.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:58 pm

I started doing the subscription model with Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. I'm kind of against the business model compared to buy it and own it, but I've already had a few updates and people say it actually works out to cost less than buying - providing you're the type who upgrades when available.

I've read Windows is going the same way - pay a monthly fee for use of the operating system. I'd probably go Linux if it supported the programs I use, but it doesn't. There are alternatives out there, but what I use is the industry standard and there are plenty of readily available tutorials online that the other options lack so I'll probably be doing this for the foreseeable future.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register