Custom for tipping in restaurants

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Jason
Gold Member
Gold Member

Custom for tipping in restaurants

Postby Jason » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:56 am

What is the custom in Peru for tipping in restaurants that charge the recargo al consumo? I've noticed that many restaurants charge this, even fast food restaurants. In restaurants where there is a waiter, I've typically tipped 10% on top of the service charge (15% if the service was outstanding). I wasn't sure if this is the custom or not.

caliguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Custom for tipping in restaurants

Postby caliguy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:31 am

Jason wrote:What is the custom in Peru for tipping in restaurants that charge the recargo al consumo? I've noticed that many restaurants charge this, even fast food restaurants. In restaurants where there is a waiter, I've typically tipped 10% on top of the service charge (15% if the service was outstanding). I wasn't sure if this is the custom or not.

scroll down to the part about "tipping".
http://www.expatperu.com/peruvian-manne ... uette.html
every place has it's own spirit. you just need to tune into it.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:07 pm

Most of my Peruvian friend tip only about five Soles depending upon how they feel. And that amount of a tip it's not based upon the amount of the ticket. An expensive meal that costs 300 soles often generates a small tip of five or ten soles.

Last year I went to a friend's birthday party at a chicken restaurant and when I paid for my and my partner's dinner I added a little extra about 20 soles and said loud enough for everyone to hear here's a little something extra as a tip. The service had really been outstanding and I was hoping that the other people might think, "okay let's give a small tip to this and waitress," who waited on about 20 of us.

As we were getting up to leave I noticed that the waitress appeared to be very angry , and sure enough someone else at the table had pocketed the extra 20 that I paid so that he would end up paying less. The waitress didn't get a single centimo. I had known that could happen but had hoped it would not. From now on if I'm with a group of people and want to tip the waitress I'll give it to her on the side.

Oh well what can you say. In Spanish there's a saying, "a la tierra que fueres haz lo que vieres", the Spanish version of When in Rome do as the Romans do.
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:24 pm

Usually I tip around 4-5%, so a menu of S/20, a 1 sol tip, and S/100 a 5 sol tip. Always in the hand of the waiter, not in the credit card.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:42 pm

Wow, and I thought my Peruvian wife was just cheap..! I guess 5% (or less??) really is normal.

I have always tipped 10%. I've suspected that it is a bit higher than normal, but I figure us "rich Americans" have a reputation to uphold.. lol. I didn't realize just how much more than normal (more than double!) I was tipping, though.

I do know one Peruvian, an uncle of my wife, who tips very well. But he goes to the same restaurants all the time, and he gets amazing service because he deals with the same waiters who know they'll be getting a nice tip.

I also pay the tip directly in cash. My wife's sister told me of a time she added a tip on her credit card bill, and she later discovered that the waiter added an extra zero to the tip. So that's another reason, aside from making sure the waiter actually gets the money.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register