Pisco Sour Class

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
clewis564
Gold Member
Gold Member

Pisco Sour Class

Postby clewis564 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:09 pm

Hello, I will be in Lima in a couple weeks. Anyone know of a pisco sour bartending class I can do? I found one but it's very expensive. I do have a couple Pisco sour books and recipes but the bartenders in lima are the best so was looking to do a class or seminar while I'm there.

Thanks,
Chris

gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Pisco Sour Class

Postby gringolandia » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:16 pm

From what I've heard, the main thing is to not squeeze the limes too much. After you get the main part of the juice out, don't try to get every last drop out because the last drops will not taste the same and ruin the flavor of the drink. Why? I have no idea. But I've heard this from a lot of people. And now I pass on this scientifically unverified information to you :D

It actually would be interesting to test if the last drops taste different from the rest to see if this is really true or not. Maybe the last drops could have a stronger taste of pulp or something? So i guess it is not true that I have no idea. I have one idea, and that is it.
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:40 pm

gringolandia wrote:From what I've heard, the main thing is to not squeeze the limes too much. After you get the main part of the juice out, don't try to get every last drop out because the last drops will not taste the same and ruin the flavor of the drink. Why? I have no idea. But I've heard this from a lot of people. And now I pass on this scientifically unverified information to you :D

It actually would be interesting to test if the last drops taste different from the rest to see if this is really true or not. Maybe the last drops could have a stronger taste of pulp or something? So i guess it is not true that I have no idea. I have one idea, and that is it.

Your post leads me to believe you had a few pisco sours beforehand.

To the thread starter, seek out Carsten @ Living in Peru for info. He participates in a pisco sour competition and could possibly know about classes.
Large and in charge!
JanD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JanD » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:53 am

But why would you need special pisco sour classes?
I think that on YouTube you can find a lot of instruction films...
In my house I regurarly prepare like Pisco- and Maracuya Sour as well as f.i. Capitan and to my opinion (and that of others) they actually taste "quite well"
Never heard of it, but the reason not to squeeze the lemons to much could be that, by doing so, you add the flavour of the lemon skin to the Pisco?

But OK, "The Lima Gourmet Company" organises food tours including lessons how to prepare your perfect Pisco Sour.
They also organise separate Pisco Sour classes.
They have their own website with more info.
You can also find them on Trip Advisor.
Enjoy!
clewis564
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby clewis564 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:47 pm

Thank you both for the suggestions
clewis564
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby clewis564 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:50 pm

Just in case you were wondering the 2 hour Pisco class was $150. I thought that was a bit much. I don't mind the $40 for an art gallery tour but I plan on going to Mistura and doing other things and bringing my own bottles of Pisco back to the states with me. I have a Pisco Sour book with recipes in it and as you say watch youtube. Much cheaper option.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:20 pm

I have a good expat friend who is truly an expert on the classic-style pisco sour.
I am positive he will share his expertise for - free; if you go to his apartment in MF.
Send me a PM & I will give you his contact info. Thanks. :roll:
PS -my Peruvian wife :D & I can tag along to be official tasters!
PSS - always looking to meet new friends...

Just came across this article about best places for pisco sours - enjoy:
https://blog.thebesty.com/2016/08/13/th ... s-in-peru/
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:18 pm

clewis564 wrote:Just in case you were wondering the 2 hour Pisco class was $150. I thought that was a bit much. I don't mind the $40 for an art gallery tour but I plan on going to Mistura and doing other things and bringing my own bottles of Pisco back to the states with me. I have a Pisco Sour book with recipes in it and as you say watch youtube. Much cheaper option.

You'll have a great time @ Mistura.

Wonderful Peruvian food (world class IMO) and a chance to meet some nice chicas if you're looking.
Maybe you could offer to whip em up some piscos.
GREAT icebreaker lol
Large and in charge!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register