Level with me about moving to Peru?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
anotherbanneryear

Level with me about moving to Peru?

Postby anotherbanneryear » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:13 pm

I currently live in the US but my wife is Peruvian (we had the wedding done in a consulate also so our marriage is recognized in both countries) and we've been considering moving to Peru for some time now. I don't have a college degree but do have some college completed and my high school diploma. I've got eight years of experience in sales/customer service for a Logistics & Transportation company. Without a degree would I be able to find decent enough work for us to live a comfortable (not upper class but not in poverty) life in Lima? We have a six month old son who has dual citizenship as well. I've looked around and it seems like it wouldn't be difficult to find work teaching English but I'd like to get some perspective from expats before we just plunge off the cliff. Thanks in advance for any replies.

bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Level with me about moving to Peru?

Postby bigdaddy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:54 am

Level with me.
Why do you want to move?
Wife missing family?
You'll never be able to make the same money in Peru that you would in the US.
Large and in charge!
jhand8pp4
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jhand8pp4 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:20 pm

Education is not one of the strong points about Peru. You have a young son. Check some of the posts on this forum concerning the quality of education in Peru and how expensive private schools can be.
Andywalters
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Andywalters » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:47 am

No, is the short answer. The competition for work here is fierce, most people who have or want decent jobs have degrees and often masters too. Unskilled labour is very poor pay I am afraid, somewhere in the region 0f 1000-1500 soles per month.
cariboso
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby cariboso » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:25 am

Teaching English only pays about 30 soles an hour and there is a lot of competition.
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:42 pm

If you even have to ask that question, you're going to have a hard time. Come and visit for a month, look at the prices in supermarkets, prices for children's products compared to, say, Walmart or Target, what the traffic is like, the cost of housing in safe areas and the pay scale for jobs you think you might have a chance of getting, then add it all up, put it down on paper and think about it for six month. Hopefully, this will give you an idea of what kind of life is in store for you and why so many people from Latin America are keen to work in the United States.

You mentioned teaching, probably a reasonable choice if you're properly qualified, have a work visa and can secure a full-time job before you get here, otherwise it's best to avoid the so-called English schools that hire people on tourist visas. Their meagre pay doesn't include the time taken to get to classes, often as long as the class itself, lesson preparation time and I've heard that some often don't pay on time or at all.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:42 pm

Just moved back Oct 1 2016 for the same reasons, family. The caveat is I am retired.
Your best bet is to open a business. Maybe work with an export logistic company offshore/virtual (from home). As far as schools, we have a 14 yo and a 5 year old.
We live in sunny Chiclayo (Northern Peru).

We found an English/Bilingual school (private) Raymond Shreve

/S. 250 $85 per month
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:49 pm

Sergio Bernales wrote:If you even have to ask that question, you're going to have a hard time. Come and visit for a month, look at the prices in supermarkets, prices for children's products compared to, say, Walmart or Target, what the traffic is like, the cost of housing in safe areas and the pay scale for jobs you think you might have a chance of getting, then add it all up, put it down on paper and think about it for six month. Hopefully, this will give you an idea of what kind of life is in store for you and why so many people from Latin America are keen to work in the United States.

You mentioned teaching, probably a reasonable choice if you're properly qualified, have a work visa and can secure a full-time job before you get here, otherwise it's best to avoid the so-called English schools that hire people on tourist visas. Their meagre pay doesn't include the time taken to get to classes, often as long as the class itself, lesson preparation time and I've heard that some often don't pay on time or at all.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

We got around Children's entertainment: we carried in Xbox One and Xbox 360. 2 iPads to download free and $2.99 or less games.

We unlocked an Amazon FireTV box along with smartDNS, we subscribed to SLINGTV (Amazon app 100s of channels and Movies- cable cutting), have a Vonage ip phone. Kids are in their same environment now.. With plenty to do.
Yes toys are expensive,, but the 5 year old is into Play dough
Last edited by tupacperu on Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tupacperu » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 pm

anotherbanneryear wrote:I currently live in the US but my wife is Peruvian (we had the wedding done in a consulate also so our marriage is recognized in both countries) and we've been considering moving to Peru for some time now. I don't have a college degree but do have some college completed and my high school diploma. I've got eight years of experience in sales/customer service for a Logistics & Transportation company. Without a degree would I be able to find decent enough work for us to live a comfortable (not upper class but not in poverty) life in Lima? We have a six month old son who has dual citizenship as well. I've looked around and it seems like it wouldn't be difficult to find work teaching English but I'd like to get some perspective from expats before we just plunge off the cliff. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Cost of living is far different in the provinces than in Lima. Plan to stay in Lima?
We got a 3 bedroom apt for $480 per month IN Chiclayo (1200 sqft) while building our beach home. We are in Santa Victoria the high-end district.

We are looking to open a beach cafe. You should consider a business for sure.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:54 pm

Great answers so far. I agree with everything said.

You need to visit Peru to see if you even like it (and not just Lima... at a bare minimum go to Cusco too).

And it is very unlikely you can make enough money to live comfortably. As was said, competition is fierce and without a degree you may be at a distinct disadvantage.

If you have the funds to start your own business then that could be an option. There are great opportunities for entrepreneurs here, though you'd likely have to lean heavily on your wife's contacts and knowledge of Peru.

Based on the limited info you provided my strong recommendation would be that you not move here.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:31 pm

Basically as said in above replies. It's difficult here especially without a proper education, you will end up looking at call center work for $350 base pay and then commission to top it up to around $800 - $1000 if you are lucky. You are going to struggle here. I can manage to make $100 for one nights work while back in the U.K which is more than likely going to be your weeks wage down here.

As they have said, come down and see what you think about it but you can start by checking the job listings on this site and seeing how much the people posting are willing to pay to give you some sort of idea of how much you could make.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:16 am

Another point that you really need to take into account is that you have a kid. The level of education at government schools is very low here and so if you want your child to have a decent education you will have to pay for a private school.

If you lack any higher education yourself then you will not be making much money down here unless you start your own business and if you work for someone else just paying for your child's education will take up half of your monthly wage.
Keiron

Postby Keiron » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:31 am

cariboso wrote:Teaching English only pays about 30 soles an hour and there is a lot of organifi reviews on https://www.agilebuddy.com/my-organifi- ... ice-review with competition.

I found this too. It's amazing how many English teachers are in Peru lol.
Last edited by Keiron on Thu May 04, 2017 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:39 am

The worse thing with teaching is that due to Lima's traffic you will spend most of the day travelling to get to lessons. Leaving the house at 6 am and returning back at 8 pm means you might only teach four lessons within that day.

You can do a lot better with online teaching where you can do as many lessons as you want per day, but they aren't easy jobs to find!
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:17 am

The OP has received a very honest response...

Maybe, it would be better to evaluate living in another city in Peru. Lima is oversaturated for english-teachers..

Learning fluent spanish is always an advantage..

It would be a plus if your wife has family roots in a different location than Lima. If you have an small savings as 30k or 50k, you could make your own business anywhere in Peru..
anotherbanneryear

Postby anotherbanneryear » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:54 pm

OP here, just wanted to thank everyone for the responses and explanations. We're still leaning toward moving to Peru but thinking it'll more likely be Arequipa than Lima. We should have about $10-15k saved up by the time we make the move and we're looking into opening a restaurant (possibly a pizzeria) with part of that money.
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FDiH » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:57 am

I agree with opening up a business (Pizza restaurant is a great choice as Peruvian pizza's are very unItalian :). Settling is Arequipa is also a smater choice, although, you might be better of in a more off-beat location/city. Perhaps Ica or Chimbote?
$10-$15K will not get you very far whereever you are. Restaurant equipment and is expensive in Peru. Also, if you are aiming for expats/tourists you need to opt for a more expensive location. Peruvians don't generally pay more than PEN 20 for a pizza outside of Lima.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:20 am

Restaurants have the highest failure rate, anywhere in the world. Peruvians like their pizza if not they go to anyone of the other American chains.
If you are set on a restaurant, open up one of those menu places. People love the food. Less equipment and you use local food. Peru has a lack of good cheese for starters.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:21 pm

anotherbanneryear wrote:OP here, just wanted to thank everyone for the responses and explanations. We're still leaning toward moving to Peru but thinking it'll more likely be Arequipa than Lima. We should have about $10-15k saved up by the time we make the move and we're looking into opening a restaurant (possibly a pizzeria) with part of that money.

Sounds fun! Good luck! Arequipa is really nice. Far nicer than Lima. The people are more pleasant, the weather is nice (not so damn humid), the city is much cleaner, and things are generally cheaper. I also felt safer. When we last visited my daughter actually asked if we could move there... ha! After paying good money to get her into the school she's in, that's not happening..! But we plan to make frequent visits.

There were some great restaurants we visited, but I didn't come across any really good pizza while there, so maybe there's an opening for that! I've occasionally given thought to opening my own pizza joint here in Lima that would serve both thin and Chicago style pan. Mmmm. Another thing I feel is missing from Peru is Greek gyros! There must be a gyro place somewhere in Lima, but I haven't come across one yet.

Be sure to take full advantage of your wife's ability to bring a container full of stuff into the country tax free. You have to be very careful to dot the i's and cross the t's to not get screwed by technicalities, but it is very much worth it. We saved $15K just on the car we brought.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register