Border Hopping - Help!!

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Wensless

Border Hopping - Help!!

Postby Wensless » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:07 pm

So I've been living with my Peruvian girlfriend in Lima for around 160 days. My visitor visa will expire early December and if I understand correctly I am not eligible for enother one because of the "6 months per year" rule. My girlfriend and I are planning to marry early next year. At this stage I am going to cross the border to Bolivia and try to get another 3 months or so, which will give me enough time to get my carta extranjeria.

My question is, how lenient can I expect border officials to be? If I explain my situation to them are they likely to let me back into Peru? Has anyone else ever been in a similar situation and do you have any tips?

Thanks in advance! :D

fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Border Hopping - Help!!

Postby fanning » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:33 pm

Sorry, you are out of luck. You will be denied entry in Peru, and will get a stamp in your passport, and a permanent block in the Peruvian immigration system to return within 5 years.
They are really strict, and it doesn't depend on the immigration official.

( Read the forum for more horrorstories ! )

On the bright side, there also are some pretty Bolivian woman out there..
TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TonyLeslie » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:27 pm

Why would he get a 5 year block from returning to Peru if he has a Tourist Visa that does not expire for another 2-3weeks? You trying to scare him?
Wensless

Postby Wensless » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:12 pm

fanning wrote:Sorry, you are out of luck. You will be denied entry in Peru, and will get a stamp in your passport, and a permanent block in the Peruvian immigration system to return within 5 years.

Can you link me the law about the "permanent 5 year block"? Never heard of it and I can't find anything about it online.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:20 am

If you like to follow my advice, focus more on the second part of my reply.
Andywalters
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Andywalters » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:36 am

you wont get a ban, why would they ban you for adhering to the law. Whether you will get the extension I am not sure as technically the rules have changed. I did a border hop whilst the rules were mid change without problems (i left Peru on my 180th day, got back in the next day with a 30 day pass) but I can`t speak for now, the best bet is to explain that you want the extension to get married but even then I don`t know if it will work. I got married since then and now have my CE
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:43 am

If you are determined to marry in Peru, I am afraid early next year is out of the question. You are correct, you will not be able to re-enter for a further six months. Making any application for marriage can only be performed if you are in the country legally. Up until recently it had to be within 30 days entry into the country, but this may have been changed.
Fannings warning related to illegal entry and subsequent deportation. In your case it could not be an alternative as you would be unable to make any marriage application.
If you wish to stay in the country after expiry of your TAM you can overstay and pay the fine, currently at $1 US a day, but this still effectively prevents any application.
Because of advances made in the immigration systems it would be very difficult to obtain re-entry prior to the six months after leaving. The borders are become more water tight.
Andywalters
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Andywalters » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:20 am

didn`t they put it up to $5 a day for the overstay Adrian?
Wensless

Postby Wensless » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:25 pm

fanning wrote:If you like to follow my advice, focus more on the second part of my reply.

Which second part? The part about Bolivian women?

I'm looking for genuine advice and people with similar experiences, not idiots telling lies and making dry jokes. Cheers.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:59 pm

Wensless wrote:
fanning wrote:If you like to follow my advice, focus more on the second part of my reply.

I'm looking for genuine advice and people with similar experiences, not idiots telling lies and making dry jokes. Cheers.

Thats the third part. I cannot help you don't read so well.
Its the part about reading the forum !
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:37 pm

fanning wrote:
Wensless wrote:

Thats the third part. I cannot help you don't read so well.
Its the part about reading the forum !

I also took the second part of the statement as referring to women. You, Fanning, should learn the use of parentheses.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/parens.asp
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:32 pm

Andywalters wrote:didn`t they put it up to $5 a day for the overstay Adrian?

No at present it is still a $1 a day, but there is talk of increasing the fine very soon, but the talk of $5 was purely speculation.

I also suggest we stay on topic.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:13 am

YES, I agree 100%.
Too many posters/readers seem to have very thin skin.
I have seen a lot worse here.
I enjoy a bit of light-hearted banter; as long as it is not punitive.
Best wishes. :roll:
Sergio Bernales
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Sergio Bernales » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:03 pm

fanning wrote:Sorry, you are out of luck. You will be denied entry in Peru, and will get a stamp in your passport, and a permanent block in the Peruvian immigration system to return within 5 years.

( Read the forum for more horrorstories ! )

Fanning, firstly, I'd like to say I find your posts some of the most informative and helpful on this website. However, I'm not so sure you're right here. Can you tell us exactly what horror stories you mean? Can you reference them and provide links? As far as I'm aware, there are few if any posts from people with direct experience of problems entering Peru (I accept there could be some that I may have simply missed). I think Polaron mentioned a friend/acquaintance who was not allowed in and I think I've seen some one-time posters saying they had problems. As many contributors appear to have carnets, is anecdotal evidence reliable? According to this website, the new law should come into force at the end of 2016. Has it happened? I looked on the migracions website and everything to do with the law is dated from last year.

http://www.expatperu.com/etourist.php

https://www.migraciones.gob.pe/

I must stress to the OP that I don't know if the new law is being applied yet and how migraciones will interpret his situation, if he is planning to return to the country, get married and apply for a carnet. If he is intending on returning, I don't see how this breaks any law if migraciones simply deny him entry. Being denied entry for, say, six months isn't a criminal offence and should have not affect him if he plans to return in the future. If someone has more information, please share it. Otherwise, it would be interesting to hear from the OP what happens in this situation and if he is allowed back into the country.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:49 pm

My reply was out of boredom. Another first time poster who doesn't take the time to read a little bit on the forum about such a stale subject as border hopping. At least once a month the subject comes back, and the answer always seems to be that they WILL let you back in, but sometimes only very short periods. But as long as you pay the $1 fine, you can exit, and if wanted you can come back again.

But even long time posters didn't seem to catch my sarcasm in my answer, for which I truly apologize..
According to the law itself, it will not be law until there is a Reglamento. So as for now, the existing law allows tourist visas up to 183 days, depending on the immigration officer.
Once the new law has a reglamento, these 183 days will be limited to 183 days in any 12 month period.

As said, this is info has been discussed dozens of times on the forum, so sorry for repeating.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register