Immigration Changes

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
tupacperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Immigration Changes

Postby tupacperu » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:14 pm

http://gestion.pe/politica/siete-cambio ... zo-2179137

The Executive yesterday published Legislative Decree N ° 1350, which establishes a series of changes to the Migration Act - DL N ° 1350, with the aim of simplifying and ordering the immigration legislation, protecting the fundamental rights of national and foreign citizens, and contributing to the strengthening of national security.

According to the national Superintendence of migration (migration), the law eliminates a series of obstacles and gaps which contained the previous law (Legislative Decree N ° 1236), so it is expected to have an incentive to the development of the national economy and promote the integration of migrants to Peruvian society.

The seven main modifications which brings the new migration law are:

1 provides for two types of migratory qualities for foreigners, whereas the activities that take place in the country: temporary, for those who arrive in the country without residence and for short stays; and residence, which allows them to the foreigner to reside in the Peru and activities for periods of one year, renewable.

2 facilitates the entry and retention of highly qualified foreign nationals and access to the residence of their relatives.

3 promotes volunteer activities carrying foreigners in the country, who will no longer have to leave country every 90 days to manage its reentry.

4 also requires that foreigners will have access to a contract of employment or provision of services in the public sector.

5 protect fundamental rights, especially of vulnerable people, and gives powers to migration for the adoption of criteria for the assistance of these people.

6 set the implementation of the register of immigration information (RIM), which will strengthen the platform for interoperability of the State (electronic data exchange between government entities to implement online services) and contributes to internal security.

7 available abroad incurred in causal of expulsion, to abandon the national territory with an impediment for re-entry for a period of 15 years. In addition, must pay the respective fine, for example, foreigners that damage the national heritage.

The rule will take effect March 1, 2017 and repeals the Aliens Act (Legislative Decree N ° 703) and its amendment; as well as the Legislative Decree N ° 1236, which was the previous migration law.

excuse the translation:

jhand8pp4
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Immigration Changes

Postby jhand8pp4 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:51 pm

If I read the decree correctly, the Minister of the Interior must publish the regulations that go along with the law by March 1st. For me that is welcome relief.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:39 am

Honestly, I have read mentioned article and just scanned the new law as well and don't get it. For years now there have been temporal visas and residential visas; seems to me this isn't new, the process / execution / timeframes might differ. I don't get the part about volunteering. Peru never had a volunteer visa in the last years, volunteers would come to the country on a tourist visa which means they could stay up to 183 days. In parts the new law seems to me quite superficial. As jhand8app4 already stated there are other regulations still missing; so to evaluate the real changes we have to wait until these are published. I'm curios if this new law becomes effective in March.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby 1231231231 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:09 pm

sunflower wrote:Honestly, I have read mentioned article and just scanned the new law as well and don't get it. For years now there have been temporal visas and residential visas; seems to me this isn't new, the process / execution / timeframes might differ. I don't get the part about volunteering. Peru never had a volunteer visa in the last years, volunteers would come to the country on a tourist visa which means they could stay up to 183 days. In parts the new law seems to me quite superficial. As jhand8app4 already stated there are other regulations still missing; so to evaluate the real changes we have to wait until these are published. I'm curios if this new law becomes effective in March.

I compared it to the old law, and in the old law it says to only 6 months a year for tourist (and border-hopping was posible), so regarding border-hopping the law hasn't changed

So I am curious how this will affect border hopping, Today I went to immigration (arequipa close to my house). And they told me it is no problem border hopping.

But I will go again because it takes such little time
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby 1231231231 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:15 pm

Big Important detail I left out, Me was told today in the morning at the office

"immigration laws are meant to be enforced only when crimes are commited"

I interpret that as so long you are no suspicious they don't really care
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgp » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:24 pm

Help me understand this...

How much time will have a tourist per year...? Thank you
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:01 pm

When I understood correctly it is 183 days per 365 days.
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgp » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:31 pm

I've got that too, so border hoppin' is dead.
Ciberdoc

Postby Ciberdoc » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:47 am

Peruvians are having a lot of problems due to foreign people, bad people from Colombia and handsome but poor young people from Argentina. And laws are for everybody not only for a selected group. :roll:
:arrow: Medicine in cyberspace
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:05 pm

I absolutely agree with you. I never understood why it is ok and no big deal for North Americans or Europeans to overstay their visa or work without the appropriate visa in Peru while back home they considered those people illegals and everyone wants to get rid of them.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby 1231231231 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:21 pm

sunflower wrote:I absolutely agree with you. I never understood why it is ok and no big deal for North Americans or Europeans to overstay their visa or work without the appropriate visa in Peru while back home they considered those people illegals and everyone wants to get rid of them.

Because they are from more wealthy countries and usually are more rich/educated and are not here to work illegally, So most of the time they contribute but not take up jobs/resources.

I will leave Peru in 10 days and will return in 2 months, I will too bring bank statements with me so I can convince them I am not poor.
Last edited by 1231231231 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby 1231231231 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:31 pm

asgp wrote:I've got that too, so border hoppin' is dead.

can you compare the new law to the old law since my Spanish isn't the best.

I interpret the old law as you couldn't official border hop too, so the only way to know is wait and see if they enforce it.

Always when I enter the customs I wait 15 minutes and look which border-offical is the most easy one. and then calculate how to get to that specific border-official and I always make sure i dress nice and have some pictures on my phone to show what I do in Peru.

Old:

Hasta 90 días prorrogables por dos veces hasta por 30 días cada prórroga y
excepionalmente hasta 30 días por una tercera vez, dentro de un año calendario.

New:

Permite múltiples entradas.
El plazo de permanencia es de ciento ochenta y tres
(183) días, acumulables durante un período de trescientos
sesenta y cinco (365) días. No es prorrogable.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:10 pm

1231231231 wrote:Because they are from more wealthy countries and usually are more rich/educated and are not here to work illegally, So most of the time they contribute but not take up jobs/resources.

So if you are coming from a rich country and contribute to the economy you are allowed to break the laws of your host country? Not sure if US authorities for example feel the same if a wealthy Peruvian overstays his welcome in the US or works illegally. And if you haven't noticed, the poor contribute as well to a countries economy.

1231231231 wrote:I will leave Peru in 10 days and will return in 2 months, I will too bring bank statements with me so I can convince them I am not poor.

I'm out of words. That's not only arrogant, conceited and supercilious, but also rather stupid (showing off your wealth even with immigration or police is never a good idea).

We in your opinion better educated foreigners should rather set good examples and follow the laws of the country we were lucky enough to being allowed to stay.

Just my to cents.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby 1231231231 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:00 pm

sunflower wrote:
1231231231 wrote:Because they are from more wealthy countries and usually are more rich/educated and are not here to work illegally, So most of the time they contribute but not take up jobs/resources.

So if you are coming from a rich country and contribute to the economy you are allowed to break the laws of your host country? Not sure if US authorities for example feel the same if a wealthy Peruvian overstays his welcome in the US or works illegally. And if you haven't noticed, the poor contribute as well to a countries economy.

1231231231 wrote:I will leave Peru in 10 days and will return in 2 months, I will too bring bank statements with me so I can convince them I am not poor.

I'm out of words. That's not only arrogant, conceited and supercilious, but also rather stupid (showing off your wealth even with immigration or police is never a good idea).

We in your opinion better educated foreigners should rather set good examples and follow the laws of the country we were lucky enough to being allowed to stay.

Just my to cents.

Well if you are rich you can break laws especially in a corrupt country like Peru (I agree it is unethical/unfair )

and you are right showing bank-statements is stupid, but i am not rich i own around 2K$ so that would be enough to convince them i could support my self for the 6 months, I am only scared of being rejected at the airport, at a land border i could move at least to another country instead of losing my plane-ticket money.

I actually had a border-agent telling me I couldn't entry and i just went out of the queue and went to another booth and they let me in :shock: was at lima airport and a wtf moment and then i realised that they really don't want to send some one back thats why people always get lectures and almost never deported. it is just to much trouble for them if they don't suspect you of doing anything criminal.

If I qualified for a Visa I would gladly be in Peru the normal way instead of this shady border-hopping, but sadly the only option for me is through marriage and I feel I am to young for that (21).

But could you please compare the old law vs the new law my Spanish isn't good enough to be certain.

If the old law prohibits border-hopping then it gives me hope they will allow it with the new law too.

I have the feeling they are going to professionalize the immigration (I saw they put up a new online system) So i can imagine they will stop borderhopping because it isn't proffesional

And i can actually understand the government prohibiting borderhopping because why should a gringo apply for a real visa if he could just borderhop.

Ugh I lived there for years i don't have any family in my home country and never finished high-school I think about relocating to cambodia but compared to peru it is so filthy and populated and small. and in peru you get much more bang for your buck.. and Spanish is more easy..
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgp » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:11 pm

Just to be clear... When you guys say 'old law' you mean:

a) The Immigration Law of 1991

or

B) The Legislative Decree N 1236?

:?:
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby 1231231231 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:43 pm

The previous law enforced, i think the law from 1991 was updated in 2010.
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:45 pm

Border hopping was never officially allowed or forbidden. The old law (sorry can't remember the number) allowed tourist to stay 183 days in the country leaving open if this is per year or per visit. This vagueness of the law made border hopping in Peru possible, neither really legal nor illegal. Then in September 2015 a new immigration law was published stating 183 days per period of 365 days. This law was never 100% enforced. And now we have the new law that as well writes 183 days within a period of 365 days.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby 1231231231 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:21 am

sunflower wrote:Border hopping was never officially allowed or forbidden. The old law (sorry can't remember the number) allowed tourist to stay 183 days in the country leaving open if this is per year or per visit. This vagueness of the law made border hopping in Peru possible, neither really legal nor illegal. Then in September 2015 a new immigration law was published stating 183 days per period of 365 days. This law was never 100% enforced. And now we have the new law that as well writes 183 days within a period of 365 days.

Was the September 2015 immigration law in force I thought it was just a announcement,

I thought this was the last law

Turista: Hasta 90 días prorrogables por dos veces hasta por 30 días cada prórroga y
excepionalmente hasta 30 días por una tercera vez, dentro de un año calendario.

but how do i need to interpret the old law? you can stay 2x 90 days and then 3x 30 days. it is confusing because at the border they always give 183 or 90 days
craig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby craig » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:57 pm

sunflower wrote:Border hopping was never officially allowed or forbidden. The old law (sorry can't remember the number) allowed tourist to stay 183 days in the country leaving open if this is per year or per visit. This vagueness of the law made border hopping in Peru possible, neither really legal nor illegal.

Interesting for European (and US) minded people who can't stand the idea of not obeying "laws" or people going unpunished who don't conform to supposed regulations, the recent immigration law states the following as a fundamental principle.

Artículo VII.- Principio de no criminalización de la migración irregular
El Estado formula y ejecuta su política migratoria bajo el principio de no criminalización de la migración irregular.

"... the principle of not criminalizing irregular migration"

For those Europeans and USians who are always so obsessed with the terrible evils of overstaying and border hopping that they are outraged that such behavior is not adequately punished the current law is the following.

Artículo 35º.- Situación migratoria irregular
La situación migratoria irregular es el estado en que incurre el extranjero en los siguientes supuestos:
a. Cuando ha vencido el plazo de permanencia otorgado por la Autoridad Migratoria correspondiente en la Calidad Migratoria asignada y permanece en el territorio nacional.
b. Cuando ha ingresado al territorio nacional sin haber realizado el control migratorio.
Artículo 36º.- Regularización migratoria
Los extranjeros que se encuentren en situación migratoria irregular, pueden solicitar el levantamiento de su impedimento de ingreso y/o regularizar su situación de conformidad con las disposiciones que se dicten en el Reglamento

That is, the regulations are to specify how to fix the situation. Disappointing to the sensibilities of Europeans and USians this will probably not entail execution.

Artículo 56º.- Multa a extranjeros
Son conductas infractoras pasibles de multas a los extranjeros, las siguientes:
a. El exceso de permanencia al momento de salir del país.
b. En caso de más de una nacionalidad, utilizarlas indistintamente para el ingreso, permanencia o salida del territorio nacional.
c. Por no actualizar la información contenida en el carné de extranjería.
d. Por no pagar las tasas que corresponda.
e. Por no solicitar la prórroga de la Visa dentro del plazo de su vigencia.
f. Por realizar actividades que no corresponden a la Calidad Migratoria, Visa o Permiso asignado o desnaturalizarla.
Artículo 57º.- Salida obligatoria del país
57.1. Son situaciones pasibles de disponer la salida obligatoria del país de los extranjeros, las siguientes:
a. Por encontrarse en situación migratoria irregular por ingresar al país sin realizar el control migratorio y no haber solicitado su regularización.
b. Por encontrarse en situación migratoria irregular por exceder el tiempo de permanencia otorgado y no haber solicitado su regularización en el plazo fijado por el reglamento.
c. Por incumplir o contravenir las normas imperativas en materia de salud pública.
d. Por haber sido sancionado por conducta infractora grave o muy grave en materia ambiental, por la autoridad competente.
--
It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. -- Thomas Jefferson
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgp » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:59 am

sunflower wrote:Border hopping was never officially allowed or forbidden. The old law (sorry can't remember the number) allowed tourist to stay 183 days in the country leaving open if this is per year or per visit. This vagueness of the law made border hopping in Peru possible, neither really legal nor illegal. Then in September 2015 a new immigration law was published stating 183 days per period of 365 days. This law was never 100% enforced. And now we have the new law that as well writes 183 days within a period of 365 days.

Perfectly said.. The law you mention is Ley General de Migraciones (1991)...
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:31 pm

craig wrote:Disappointing to the sensibilities of Europeans and USians this will probably not entail execution.

Honestly? Not sure what your problem is Craig.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby 1231231231 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:51 pm

asgp wrote:

Perfectly said.. The law you mention is Ley General de Migraciones (1991)...

Yes but the old law clearly says "dentro de un año calendario"
sunflower
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sunflower » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:39 pm

I wasn't talking about the 1991 law. There have been changes in between, probably not by law but by decreto or whatsoever. Probably ten years back you only got 90 days when arriving and then could extent your tourist visa at then called DIGEMIN (today Migraciones). Then in 2008 or so the rule 90 days and 3 times extensions were changed for up to 183 days upon arrival without the possibility of extension of the tourist visa.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby 1231231231 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:47 pm

sunflower wrote:I wasn't talking about the 1991 law. There have been changes in between, probably not by law but by decreto or whatsoever. Probably ten years back you only got 90 days when arriving and then could extent your tourist visa at then called DIGEMIN (today Migraciones). Then in 2008 or so the rule 90 days and 3 times extensions were changed for up to 183 days upon arrival without the possibility of extension of the tourist visa.

A sorry I misinterpreted it you are more knowledged then me about this topic, I am stressed out because I will go work for (2months) in europe in 20 days.. I think we will only know sure if they enforce it when the time pass.

My partner wants to set up a company and hire me (it would be a real company a small travel agency ). Do you know if it is realistic or are there special rules if you want to hire a extrano, and can't find anything on the web (but i remember really long time ago i read there were many rules for hiring extranos..

A rentist option would be good for me but a proof of income is really difficult to get in my country and my situation :cry:, so most of the times at the border i explain i spend money that i make in the Netherlands in their country and don't work in Peru and they always let me pass.

I actually had one guy saying to me i could only stay 1 month in the lima airport (while i already stayed 8 months that year) and i just went to another booth and got from another officer 162 days

I have some tricks: Look which officer is the most easy before entering the waiting line, if you say you stay little more then 3 months they will give you 6 in my experience they give 3 or 6 nothing else. and look well dressed. and in my experience they are more easy in the airport then at the land borders
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:11 am

1231231231 wrote:I have some tricks: Look which officer is the most easy before entering the waiting line, if you say you stay little more then 3 months they will give you 6 in my experience they give 3 or 6 nothing else. and look well dressed. and in my experience they are more easy in the airport then at the land borders

Sounds like you got it licked. Dress good, look for the friendly officer and let him know you are going to spend money in his country and budda bing budda boom, you got 183 days. What are you so worried about?
Florian-kun

Postby Florian-kun » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:32 pm

With the Immigration Changes will it be more easy for the Children of Peruvians Over the Age of 18 to get the Peruvian Citizenship ?
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgp » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:16 pm

Florian-kun wrote:With the Immigration Changes will it be more easy for the Children of Peruvians Over the Age of 18 to get the Peruvian Citizenship ?

Yes... but furthermore, I've been told that in the next months there will be out a new identification law... and with that law the process of Peruvians over the Age of 18 born abroad to get the peruvian citizenship will be inmediate. :)
AustinTx

Postby AustinTx » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:42 am

I have heard there is a Rentista Visa, is it the same as a Resident-retired visa for 365 days? What is the monthly pension $$ necessary to qualify for a Resident-retired 365 day visa? In the past Peru did not tax government annuities of immigrants, such as Social Security or a state retirement check, will state government retirement checks be taxed with the new Resident-retired visa? Will Peru tax money that is in a IRA account if it is not withdrawn?
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:07 pm

The rentista visa requires $1000/mth and $500/mth for each additional family member. There are no taxes on any form of retirement income earned outside Peru.
RobAndBea

Postby RobAndBea » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:50 pm

Hello all,

Hope this question hasn't been asked a million times..I have searched for it.

My girlfriend was lucky enough to get a job that will help her with the process of getting a visa. I assume its going to be "Trabajador Residente" resident worker visa. https://www.migraciones.gob.pe/index.ph ... esidentes/

My question is Can she leave the country ( to do a border hop with me) while waiting for the visa to come through? or will that nulify the process?
We have heard that may be the case but have not found proof.

Thank you for any and all good information.
cariboso
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby cariboso » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:36 pm

She will need a Special Travel Permisson to leave Peru. Otherwise her application is subject to cancelation
expat613

Postby expat613 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:48 am

Hi,

Maybe someone can help me here. Soon my girlfriend is going to be moving to Lima for work. Her immigration status is being taken care of, and originally we were hoping I could come with her as her dependent. But that's looking less and less likely each day. We've been considering our options. The only one that we can see at this time (other than getting married) is for me to follow her to Peru on my own and stay on a tourist visa. Her contract is for 2-3 years, and I have a location independent business that's based outside of Peru (so I don't need to work for a local company). I will however have to travel often, and I'm afraid that this will complicate matters with immigration officials; for instance being denied reentry after a business or vacation trip. Anyone see this as an issue? Thanks.
mickd
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby mickd » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:25 am

Hi,

Maybe someone can help me here. Soon my girlfriend is going to be moving to Lima for work. Her immigration status is being taken care of, and originally we were hoping I could come with her as her dependent. But that's looking less and less likely each day. We've been considering our options. The only one that we can see at this time (other than getting married) is for me to follow her to Peru on my own and stay on a tourist visa. Her contract is for 2-3 years, and I have a location independent business that's based outside of Peru (so I don't need to work for a local company). I will however have to travel often, and I'm afraid that this will complicate matters with immigration officials; for instance being denied reentry after a business or vacation trip. Anyone see this as an issue? Thanks.

Perhaps this may be of help to you. I arrived in Lima a couple of days ago, and asked for 90 days, and was given 120, I explained that I wanted 90, as I would be coming back in September for another 90 days, and that with him giving me 120 days now, I could only come for 63 days, he said this is incorrect, 120 days now, when I leave my passport will show I have been here for only 70 days so I would still have 113 days left that I can use for the year. I was also told at Lima airport that they only give 120 days and not the 90 I asked for.
It would seem therefore that you can fly in and out of Lima as many times as you like as long as your total stay in Peru does not exceed 183 days.
RobAndBea

Postby RobAndBea » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:28 am

cariboso wrote:She will need a Special Travel Permisson to leave Peru. Otherwise her application is subject to cancelation

expat613

Postby expat613 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:54 am

mickd wrote:Perhaps this may be of help to you. I arrived in Lima a couple of days ago, and asked for 90 days, and was given 120, I explained that I wanted 90, as I would be coming back in September for another 90 days, and that with him giving me 120 days now, I could only come for 63 days, he said this is incorrect, 120 days now, when I leave my passport will show I have been here for only 70 days so I would still have 113 days left that I can use for the year. I was also told at Lima airport that they only give 120 days and not the 90 I asked for.
It would seem therefore that you can fly in and out of Lima as many times as you like as long as your total stay in Peru does not exceed 183 days.

Unfortunately that's not optimal. That would mean I would need to stay out of the country for 6 months out of the year, which is more than I usually spent out of country on business trips. I guess I'll have to investigate whether or not another visa will allow me to stay for longer. Thanks.
Milena

Postby Milena » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Hi,

I would urgently need some help, maybe someone of you could answer my question!

I'm german and I planned to do a 4 months volunteering in Peru. When I was planning that, I had the information that I'm allowed to stay up to 183 days in a year, which would've been enough for me. I already booked the flight way and back, my stay in Peru would be for 123 days.

But now the German Foreign Office updated the website about Peru and stated that the new law limited the tourist visa stay to a maximum of 90 days in 6 months, that would be too less for my stay.
If I understood it right, you're all talking about that the new law still admits 183 days. Is that valid also for Germany? Where can I find the law or for which countries it is valid? I'm asking that because as I mentioned the German Foreign Office stated that the new law does not allow 183 days like before but only 90 days in 6 months.

I'm very unsure what to do now? Can someone please give me an advice? As mentioned, I already got the flight way and back... Is it possible to get more than 90 days when entering Peru? How likely is it that they would give me 123 days?

THANK YOU very much in advance!!! I really need some help!

Greetings, Milena
sasha_art

Postby sasha_art » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:49 am

Milena wrote:
But now the German Foreign Office updated the website about Peru and stated that the new law limited the tourist visa stay to a maximum of 90 days in 6 months, that would be too less for my stay.
If I understood it right, you're all talking about that the new law still admits 183 days. Is that valid also for Germany? Where can I find the law or for which countries it is valid? I'm asking that because as I mentioned the German Foreign Office stated that the new law does not allow 183 days like before but only 90 days in 6 months.

I have checked the official sources (http://www.rree.gob.pe/servicioalciudad ... ANJERO.pdf), the information regarding 90 days in 6 month period for nationals coming from Schengen Area is correct. For other nationals it is 183 days in a year.

I suggest you buy a refundable onward ticket from Lima to Ecuador or Chile whichever you find cheaper that will be within 90 days period. You arrive to Lima and get a 90 days stamp in you passport. Then you claim a refund for your ticket and within 3 weeks or so you get your money back( This can be all done online). When you go back to Germany you will have to pay a 1 dollar fine for overstay ( which will be something like 33 bucks in your case, not a big deal) at the airport. Don´t worry about this fine, it is a normal practice here with absolutely no consequences in the future.
Milena

Postby Milena » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:39 pm

@ sasha_art, thank you very much for your help! I will follow your advice with the refundable ticket!

The idea of border hopping to Bolivia or Chile will not be possible for me, right? Because the 90 days period is meant to be within 6 months no matter how often I leave and reenter the country, so I would not get another 90 days by border hopping before the 6 months would be over, right?
I'm asking that because I am a little worried about overstaying; I don't mind paying the fine, but am afraid of that there might be any trouble e.g. when trying to book a hostel or anything and having to show my passport with the expired visa...

But if there's no other way, I will do as you suggested!
Thank you very much!
sasha_art

Postby sasha_art » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:49 am

Milena wrote:@ sasha_art, thank you very much for your help! I will follow your advice with the refundable ticket!

The idea of border hopping to Bolivia or Chile will not be possible for me, right? Because the 90 days period is meant to be within 6 months no matter how often I leave and reenter the country, so I would not get another 90 days by border hopping before the 6 months would be over, right?
I'm asking that because I am a little worried about overstaying; I don't mind paying the fine, but am afraid of that there might be any trouble e.g. when trying to book a hostel or anything and having to show my passport with the expired visa...

But if there's no other way, I will do as you suggested!
Thank you very much!

Yes, you got it right, border hopping won´t work for you.

Don´t worry about overstaying! It´s quiet normal here and nobody cares about it. Some hotels might ask you to show your immigration card, but that is for the sole purpose of IVA tax exemption.
Gary
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Gary » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:59 pm

Considering the new immigration rules I don't think "don't worry about overstaying" is good advice now, this article was published yesterday on the Andina website.
http://www.andina.com.pe/ingles/noticia ... 63644.aspx
The last paragraph states that the new rules stipulate expulsion if you overstay your stay deadline.
craig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby craig » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:46 pm

sunflower wrote:Not sure what your problem is Craig.

My problem is arrogant Europeans who cannot conceive that their ideas of "the way things ought to be" do not rule the world in general and overrule Peruvian laws in particular.
--
It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. -- Thomas Jefferson
Peru diver

Postby Peru diver » Tue May 02, 2017 10:58 am

I am heading to migraines on Wed. and hope to have some questions answered about new immigration law. I have been given conflicting information from two attorneys.
I have had a visa rentista since Jan. 2015. It says "indefinito". My question will be is my carnet "permanent" or "not permanent"? My understanding is law used to say after two years it becomes permanent, so don't know if I am already "permanent" or now need to wait one more year since I had it more than two years when new law came into place.
29.2. Residencia: Autoriza el ingreso y/o residencia en el territorio de la República. Estas Calidades Migratorias son prorrogables y permiten múltiples entradas. Las Calidades Migratorias de Residencia son las siguientes:
l. Rentista
Permite la residencia al extranjero que goza de pensión de jubilación o renta permanente de fuente peruana o extranjera. El monto de la renta y las demás condiciones serán jados en el Reglamento el presente Decreto Legislativo.
Es otorgada por MIGRACIONES.
El plazo de permanencia es inde nido.
m. Permanente
Permite la residencia al extranjero de manera inde nida luego de tres (3) años como residente legal.
Es otorgada por MIGRACIONES.
El plazo de permanencia es inde nido.

I need the answer to this to determine which article of the new law applies to me : article 33.1 or 33.2
Artículo 33o.- Pérdida de la Calidad Migratoria de Residencia por ausencia del territorio nacional
33.1. Los extranjeros con cualquiera de las Calidades Migratorias de Residencia excepto la Permanente, las pierden si el período de ausencia del territorio nacional es mayor a los ciento ochenta y tres (183) días consecutivos, en un plazo de trescientos sesenta y cinco (365) días.
33.2. Los extranjeros con Calidad Migratoria de Residencia Permanente la pierden si el periodo de ausencia del territorio nacional es mayor a los trescientos sesenta y cinco (365) días consecutivos.

My last confusion is because of articles published from attorneys which say 183 spent inside Peru consecutively or accumulatively. According to Article 33.1, one is subject to losing carnet rentista if out of the country for 183 CONSECUTIVELY. There is no mention of days accumulatively. If this is interpreted literally one could be out of Peru 100 days return for 60 days and leave again for 180 days , return for 30 days and leave again for 100 days etc. One letter said "before a visa rentista could be in the country only 1 day in 365 and keep carnet but now one must be in Peru 183 days in order to keep carnet (it doesn't stipulate consecutive or accumulative).

Anyone have any insight to this information?
jhand8pp4
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby jhand8pp4 » Tue May 02, 2017 2:17 pm

I do not think you have anything to worry about. I have had a rentista visa for three and a half years. Under the old law I had to renew my carnet within 5 years. However, under the new regulations, I have to renew it every four years. I went to the immigration office here in Tacna today to renew it. I was told that according to records, it does not expire until the end of five years. I had the clerk look up the article under the new regulations and she saw what I was saying. She asked her boss and then she told me that I was correct. She took me to another office where I began the process of renewing it. I am not a lawyer here in Peru but I think that your rentista visa is valid from now on as long as you renew it every four years and do not violate any of the laws of Peru.

As soon as it has been sixty days since the publication of the new regulations, and I have my renewed carnet, I intend to spend more than 183 days out of the country each year. Congratulations on having a rentista visa.
Ryanmichael8762

Postby Ryanmichael8762 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:41 pm

Greetings everyone,

I am a bit confused about some of the information relating to immigration and I was hoping someone on this thread maybe be able to help me out.

I am currently in Peru on a tourist visa for 183 shooting a documentary about disabilities in Lima. I am only staying 150 of the 183 days. My question is can I return to Peru this calendar year of 2017 and get another tourist visa? I am returning for the wedding of the individual who is the main focus of the documentary. The wedding is about 2 months after I leave Peru and I really hoping to be there for it.

Will there be an issue entering the country again?

Thank you in advance for any advice given.

Ryan
cariboso
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby cariboso » Sun May 07, 2017 2:28 pm

Should have no problem. You have 23 days left you can be in the country in 2017. There is no problem reentering Peru. They will just issue you a new tourist visa.
cariboso
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby cariboso » Sun May 07, 2017 2:30 pm

Oops 33 days left not 23.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Fri May 26, 2017 10:01 am

Here is a new article from the law firm that contributes articles to this site: http://www.expatperu.com/legalities/upd ... ation-law/
Florian-kun

Postby Florian-kun » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:14 pm

asgp wrote:
Florian-kun wrote:With the Immigration Changes will it be more easy for the Children of Peruvians Over the Age of 18 to get the Peruvian Citizenship ?

Yes... but furthermore, I've been told that in the next months there will be out a new identification law... and with that law the process of Peruvians over the Age of 18 born abroad to get the peruvian citizenship will be inmediate. :)

It will be great if I can get the Peruvian citizenship with the Immigration Changes !!!
Does anyone have some links to this change ?
Florian-kun

Postby Florian-kun » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:57 am

I think the main problem for me to get the Peruvian citizensship is to get a CE

Maybe with the new education visa I can ask for a CE and then ask for the Peruvian citizenship. Indeed I have a French Citizenship.
7- The Education visa (Formacion): new category which replaces the Student visa
It should also be noted that nationals belonging to the Schengen Area are exempt from this visa, and can ask authorities to be granted the category of “Student” upon entry, which shall last for a period of 90 non-renewable days in a term of 365 days.

http://www.expatperu.com/legalities/upd ... ation-law/

CE for Children of Peruvians Over the Age of 18
on this nice blog
https://theultimateperulist.blogspot.fr ... tatus.html
White Heron

Postby White Heron » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:07 pm

Hello Everyone!
Does anyone know what the current fine is for overstaying tourist visa since the law changes in March?
A friend of mine crossed into Equador mid May with an overstayed visa and initially they tried to charge him 4.50 Dollars a day... he managed to haggle them down to 1.35 Dollars a day. A few days ago another friend told me that the new fine is supppieed to be 4.50 Dollars per day.
In January in Iquitos Immigration told me that the 1 Dollar a day fine is not changing.

Anyone got any information, please. 8)

P.S.: on the Migraciones web site it still says 1 Dollar a day.
White Heron 8)

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register