Immigration Changes

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
halfluke

Re: Immigration Changes

Postby halfluke » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:28 pm

I can give you some super-fresh news based on my experience from... today
I came back here on the forum to check for any recent news, and I realized I missed something...

Between 2012 and 2015 I was able to get a 183 days tourist visa each time, "border hopping" for a day to chile, a week to mexico, a month to italy...

I knew things had changed, but I was still able to get here mid April with a one-way flight from Europe, but this time I only got 90 days (Schengen agreements, they told me). Just in case, I had a bus ticket to Guayaquil (Ecuador) for a date right before 183 days, but nobody asked me any proof of ticket out of the country. I was also able to get it reimbursed, even though it was cheap.
They also told me I could renew it by border hopping...
Last week I went with my Peruvian gf on vacation to Mancora, then she flew back to Lima and I took a bus from Piura to Loja (Ecuador)
When I exited Peru, the lady immigration officer charged me 4.05 soles for 1 day overstay (new rules, not anymore 1$ per day, but actually 0.1% of UIT of whatever it is - I don't understand it, please feel free to tell me what UIT is). I asked her if when I would come back in 2 days, she would give me 3 more months and she said yes. From what I had read, new law is very specific for what concerns 183 total days IN A CALENDAR YEAR.

When I came back this morning, still by bus from Loja to Piura... no go. A different lady said: you are from Italy, Italians (and other countries) are allowed only for 90 days every 183, so that basically means 3 months in, 3 months out.
"Do you work in Peru?" "No I don't, I rented a room near my gf home etc.." "Do you have a ticket out?" "No, I was not asked when I arrived and the air company allowed me to fly..."
In the end she wanted to give me 20 days more but she ended up giving me 30 days... with an official explanation in the system that I have some "trámites" to do.

So border hopping is dead, overstay fines have slightly changed, and I'll have to leave within 30 days :(

Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:57 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience.

The "UIT", by the way, stands for "Unidad Impositiva Tributaria", and it is the standard unit the government uses when it applies fines and other charges. It changes per year.
halfluke

Postby halfluke » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:42 pm

I'm actually planning to stay until September 22nd-23rd so that I can take part to my gf's twins birthday, and pay the overstay fine.
Also, flights out after September 15th are much cheaper...

Do you think I will be put on a blacklist?

Thanks for the explanation about the UIT
Cactus fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Cactus fan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:23 am

I was used to be a border hopper for 6 years. I always got 183 days.
Last year, I went back to Peru and only got 90 days. It was OK as I was only staying for 3 weeks.

If border hopping is no longer possible then getting married to a Peruvian seems to be the only way to be able to stay in Peru. Unless you have the money to start a business, get a work contract or being lucky to get a pension from another country.
Donnie123

Postby Donnie123 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:10 pm

At least american have the right to enter without visa when Peruvian must to spend money and time (some time even lose it) to get visa. As Peruvian I would like that government practice the same- same like Brazil do, now I do not complaint about European well gained to enter without visa to Peru. Peru is not like before, now none wants to stay in USA and many people are returning home.
Simselmann

Postby Simselmann » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:54 am

Hello,

I am wondering if a e-ticket from a bus company like Cruz del sur is good as a proof of onward ticket? Thing is that i am coming with my fiancee for atleast 4 months to do volunteering and we plan to stay atleast the 4 months and possibly 6 months before returning back to Europe.
atpe

Postby atpe » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:49 pm

Alpineprince wrote:The rentista visa requires $1000/mth and $500/mth for each additional family member. There are no taxes on any form of retirement income earned outside Peru.

Wow:shock: I did not know that

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register