Separation, Divorce, Immigration Status

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
GringoHarry

Separation, Divorce, Immigration Status

Postby GringoHarry » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:25 pm

After 7 years of marriage my wife and I may be splitting up. As far as these things go things are as amicable as can be. Irreconcilable differences instead of cheating spouses or physical violence situation. We love each other but it just may be that we aren't made to live together or be married to each other. There are no children involved. I have my CE through marriage but I'm not a Peruvian citizen. This isn't exactly surprising but it is sudden so I'm trying to figure out what I want to do and what my available options are.

For now I would like to continue living in Peru. Since the border hop option has closed or is closing or whatever it is, I'm not counting on that being a option for staying in Peru. One option would be to stay married and just separate without getting divorced. I believe my wife would be agreeable to this as the last time things got rocky and we talked about possibly splitting up she mentioned it would be. At least in the short term. I'm not at all interested in getting remarried and without going into detail neither is my wife. Ultimately I believe I would like to get a divorce just to have some closure, but for now I am trying to think practically so that's why I'm asking here.

I have worked for my wife's family business, but am looking to do something different as well as not be in an awkward position. In addition to that I have been living on savings. I don't believe I would meet the official requirements for a Rentista. I have been in the process of researching and preparing to start a business which is how I would support myself in addition to my savings. It would be small with myself as the only employee or maybe one other person. I'm 95% ready to go but with this new situation I'm now hesitant until I have more information on what my options are as far as staying in Peru legally.

What are my options or what advice do you have? Apply for citizenship? Continue as is with my CE for the time being?

fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Separation, Divorce, Immigration Status

Postby fanning » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:29 pm

If you have your CE 2 years you can change it to a permanent immigrant visa. That is independent if you are married. But you need to apply while still being married. So that would be your solution.
Once you have it your resident status doesnt depend anymore on being married.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:54 am

fanning wrote:If you have your CE 2 years you can change it to a permanent immigrant visa. That is independent if you are married. But you need to apply while still being married. So that would be your solution.
Once you have it your resident status doesnt depend anymore on being married.

Generally speaking Fanning, what are the steps for gaining a 'permanent immigrant visa'? Do you just walk into immigration and ask to change to 'permanent immigrant visa'? What is it called at immigration?
Sounds, as Fanning describes here, beats the neck out of applying for citizenship and a sure thing.
Thanks for sharing, Fanning.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:56 am

Check the migraciones website.
-Cambio de calidad migratoria a inmigrante.
Is pretty starightforward. You must show income of around S/40000 a year and 2 years residency, without being outside Peru for extended periods of time.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:34 pm

Thanks. But looks like it is not quite a free ticket from not going to immigrations every year as I thought. You still have to go every year to prove that income. Citizenship is probably better way to go to avoid those yearly trips.

GringoHarry: You might want to take a look at this link http://www.expatperu.com/expatforums/vi ... hp?t=22926
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:39 pm

Those requirements are for the tramite to get the inmigrante staus. Once you have it, it is indefinate. I think you only have to pay the tasa anual, but not the prorroga.

I got my citizenship, as then you really can forget about migraciones altogether. You can even travel almost south america with only your DNI. And if you would go back to your homecountry for some years, you could go back to Peru in the future without any extra tramite ever again.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:08 pm

Yes, thank you so much Fanning that is correct and good for you on your citizenship. I might add, you can travel freely throughout most of S.A. with your only your Carne and no passport also.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register