Urgent help - blood donors needed in Arequipa

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
stuartmacnab

Urgent help - blood donors needed in Arequipa

Postby stuartmacnab » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:02 pm

Hi,

I'm new and sorry to barge in like this, however I am desperate and am trying all avenues to help save a friend's life.

A dear friend of mine (Australian citizen) is currently in the ICU in Arequipa and in desperate need of blood donors to save his life.

He can accept any 'O' type blood (positive or negative) and needs a supply urgently to give him any chance of survival. The blood stocks there are running low and without more donors he will die.

We have run a social media campaign and found some Peruvians who have kindly donated, but travellers haven't been able to help as (from what I've read) the Peruvian authorities won't accept blood from anyone who has been vaccinated within the past six months.

Would any members here either themselves or have contacts in Arequipa who would be willing to visit the hospital to donate and help a stranger?

My friend's name is Neil Jamieson and he is in the ICU on the 7th floor of the Clinica Valle Sur Auna, El Carmen, Arequipa. Donors can go directly to the 7th floor, ring the bell and say they are here to donate blood for Neil Jamieson.

I have never been at the mercy of kind-hearted strangers as much as I am right now, and I beg for any help you can provide.

Sincerely,

Stuart Macnab

ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Urgent help - blood donors needed in Arequipa

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:48 am

I'm sorry to hear about your friend and wouldn't hesitate to donate, but I'm already a donor and am unable to do so since I've recently donated at another hospital. I will pass your information on.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:25 am

Good luck to you I hope you get your donations. Are you having difficulty finding blood because there are no blood banks in Peru? I think I read that somewhere. When blood is needed, folks in Peru depend on family and word of mouth for donations. I am a hemophiliac and can not give blood or I would help your friend. Sorry
stuartmacnab

Postby stuartmacnab » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:09 pm

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for your help. It’s truly humbling the lengths that people will go to to help strangers in need.

It seems like the response we have had over the last 24 hours to our social media and online campaign (plus emailing everyone in our contacts book!) has worked amazingly well, and it currently looks like the hospital has enough blood, which is a huge relief. Some people have been allowed to donate today, but others have been turned away, being told that the hospital has enough blood.

It’s quite a fast-moving situation (yesterday the doctors changed their mind about whether to operate on my friend three times!). We are expecting some more news in the next couple of days as we have another friend going from the UK to be there. Our friend Neil is still in a critical condition but is a little more stable today.

At the moment it’s just Neil’s wife there with him, who understandably doesn’t have informing us of every new detail as her top priority.

When our other friend arrives there she will be giving us much more info on what else we can do from this end. If we need any more blood donations I will perhaps post again in the coming days, but I think for now it seems like we don’t need any more donors.

Thank you again so much for your assistance, it really means a lot to me and everyone involved.

Stuart
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:47 pm

69roadrunner wrote:Good luck to you I hope you get your donations. Are you having difficulty finding blood because there are no blood banks in Peru? I think I read that somewhere. When blood is needed, folks in Peru depend on family and word of mouth for donations. I am a hemophiliac and can not give blood or I would help your friend. Sorry

My wife had a sudden need for blood and my donations are basically going to square up her account. Think I'm going to keep donating even once she's balanced out with the hospital. I didn't realize how dependent people are here on donations from friends/family.

Glad to hear the OP's campaign was a success.
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:06 am

ironchefchris wrote:
69roadrunner wrote:Good luck to you I hope you get your donations. Are you having difficulty finding blood because there are no blood banks in Peru? I think I read that somewhere. When blood is needed, folks in Peru depend on family and word of mouth for donations. I am a hemophiliac and can not give blood or I would help your friend. Sorry

My wife had a sudden need for blood and my donations are basically going to square up her account. Think I'm going to keep donating even once she's balanced out with the hospital. I didn't realize how dependent people are here on donations from friends/family.

Glad to hear the OP's campaign was a success.

Your comment reminds me of that old Alice Cooper song, "Only Women Bleed".

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register