Grace period for expired C.E. before leaving Perú???

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Neshan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Grace period for expired C.E. before leaving Perú???

Postby Neshan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:29 pm

Hello all,

I currently have a job that renews my contract annually. My current contract will expire on April 5 and my company has chosen not to renew the contract. My carnet de extranjería (and therefore, my residency) expires on the exact same day. Therefore, I can't cancel my residency before hand, because I work up until my very last day!

I plan on moving back to the USA, but would like to leave in early June (2 months after expiration).
I understand that CE's expire, but a person needs time to get their life in order!

I would like to know what options I have. Here are my questions:
-Do I need to turn in the carnet, leave the country for a few days, and then come back in as a tourist?
-Let the carnet expire naturally and then pay a penalty for the remainder of my time here in Peru? (Like tourists do when they overstay?)
-OR, is there a grace period given to me to get my things in order?

I am at a loss. What do I do?

TonyLeslie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Grace period for expired C.E. before leaving Perú???

Postby TonyLeslie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:54 pm

I use the old fashion method when I want to clarify something. A visit to Migraciones information centre if you're in Lima. Go and find out as soon as possible, then you will have time and advice of the best way forward. Migraciones have simplified a lot of their regulations and it may be as simple as cancelling your carnet on the 6th and getting a tourist visa for 2 or 3 months the same day. Do not be put off by the seemingly hundreds of people waiting because Carnet enquiries have about 3 or 4 appointed booths and the numbers come up rather quickly. When you arrive you will be pointed in the direction of a man standing by a ticket machine, Tell him Carnet Enquiry and he will issue you with a ticket with a code and number. Just wait for the number to come up on the screen and go to the booth indicated. Simple. Most of the people at the Carnet Booths have some or good english.

I would suggest if the Company is not renewing the contract, they can do little about letting you go to ensure you are legal in the country to finalise your moving on.
Neshan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Grace period for expired C.E. before leaving Perú???

Postby Neshan » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:28 am

Thanks for the advice!
Yes, it seems that the best option is canceling on the 6th, as you say. The lawyer agreed. Thanks again!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register