The legality of recording conversations

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

The legality of recording conversations

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:23 am

Anybody know offhand if recording conversations without the other party's consent is legal in Perú?

There have been times when people I've spoken with have gone back on their word and then insisted they never said what I know they have and that I must have misunderstood them. Recently grabbed a conversation using my phone during a meeting so I could play it back and listen more closely (along with a native speaker) since my Spanish isn't 100%. When I played it back it was clear there was no misunderstanding on my part.

Obviously a verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on (another subject entirely), but I'd like to have confirmation of things discussed that I can review later at my own pace so I don't misunderstand anything that was said. Don't want to break any laws doing so, so thought I'd ask here and see if anyone has any experience or knowledge. If consent is needed, are there any cultural faux pas in asking for permission to record a conversation for the reasons I stated above?

69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The legality of recording conversations

Postby 69roadrunner » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:04 am

What are you going to do? Go to court? Sue them? Sounds like just a simple little she said he said. What's the dif? No reason get all worked up.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:03 am

Go to court? Nope.

Sue anybody? Nope.

Never been my style to sue or threaten people with legal actions.

I never said anything at all about what the context is so 'what's the dif?' is an irrelevant question to what I was asking. I don't feel the need to go into details because they are irrelevant to my question.

I never said anything at all about being all worked up either. That's all you. None of what you posted has anything to do with the question. I'm just looking for a little knowledge about something that would help me in case my memory fails to serve me 100% and/or understanding of my second language isn't 100% correct in the moment.

Do you have any knowledge at all that could inform us re: the legality of recording conversations in Perú?
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:35 am

ironchefchris wrote:
Do you have any knowledge at all that could inform us re: the legality of recording conversations in Perú?

Who's "us"?
I thought it was just you?
Is the person being recorded found out he/she was being recorded and wants to know, too?
Is there another person doing some recording, too and you two are working in tandem?

Sounds like your situation is more complicated than you're letting on about.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:22 pm

"Us" would be anyone who reads the forum and specifically this thread. Thought that would be obvious and wouldn't need to be stated, but your asking just goes to show, one should never make assumptions about even the most basic of things. Common sense isn't always all that common. Poe's Law. Maybe you're just trolling or goofing around. Looking to get a rise out of someone or a laugh for yourself. Whatever the case may be ......

Speculate all you'd like if that's what floats your boat today. Since you obviously can't answer my initial question and since I have other things to do and no interest at all in going back and forth with you if you have no relevant information to share, I'm going to bow out here and maybe someone with actual, relevant information will post.

Have a nice day. :D
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:35 pm

ironchefchris wrote:Go to court? Nope.

Sue anybody? Nope.

Never been my style to sue or threaten people with legal actions.

I never said anything at all about what the context is so 'what's the dif?' is an irrelevant question to what I was asking. I don't feel the need to go into details because they are irrelevant to my question.

I never said anything at all about being all worked up either. That's all you. None of what you posted has anything to do with the question. I'm just looking for a little knowledge about something that would help me in case my memory fails to serve me 100% and/or understanding of my second language isn't 100% correct in the moment.

Nope never had the desire to sneak around and spy on someone to try and catch them or embarrass them, since your style is not for legal purposes, I would just move on and not get worked up.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:43 pm

The news casts at night are full of recordings made by one party without the knowledge and consent of the other, including politicians, and members of the farandula, and most recently a recording of the national Comptroller! So yes, it is legal.
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:46 pm

::sigh:: Another one. Or maybe the same one using a different account? I used to get you two confused since your posts are so similar. Either way and whatever the case may be............. yawn.

What specific illegal purpose are you referring to? I don't see where I stated any purpose other than my having a copy of a conversation that I could refer back to, much like an email that can be reread. Anything else is all you. What I'm asking, as if it hasn't been painfully obvious, is the legality of recording a conversation since I'm aware that in the US (my home country) that the legality of such varies by state. Curious as to what the legality is here.

Speculate away if that's your thing. Thanks for making yourself known so I know who (else) to ignore on here.

You have a nice day, too. :D
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:47 pm

Alan wrote:The news casts at night are full of recordings made by one party without the knowledge and consent of the other, including politicians, and members of the farandula, and most recently a recording of the national Comptroller! So yes, it is legal.

I had a feeling it would be legal, but wanted confirmation. Thank you, Alan. A voice of knowledge and reason among all the noise.
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:18 pm

ironchefchris wrote:"Us" would be anyone who reads the forum and specifically this thread. Thought that would be obvious and wouldn't need to be stated, but your asking just goes to show, one should never make assumptions about even the most basic of things. Common sense isn't always all that common. Poe's Law. Maybe you're just trolling or goofing around. Looking to get a rise out of someone or a laugh for yourself. Whatever the case may be ......

Speculate all you'd like if that's what floats your boat today. Since you obviously can't answer my initial question and since I have other things to do and no interest at all in going back and forth with you if you have no relevant information to share, I'm going to bow out here and maybe someone with actual, relevant information will post.

Have a nice day. :D

Thanks for clearing that up.
The only other thing I could think of "us" meaning is that you were talking to yourself.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:25 pm

Alan wrote:The news casts at night are full of recordings made by one party without the knowledge and consent of the other, including politicians, and members of the farandula, and most recently a recording of the national Comptroller! So yes, it is legal.

Of course you can record anyone, especially folks being interviewed by news people. These people know they are being recorded. I think what gives it away is the microphone in their face. As soon as they open their mouths.....consent given.
What ironchefchris, to be sneaky, asks "Anybody know offhand if recording conversations without the other party's consent is legal in Perú?" Key words 'without the other party's consent'.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register