Gringos hitting up gringos on the streets for cash

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gringos hitting up gringos on the streets for cash

Postby Alan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:34 pm

There is quite a bit of talk on the Living in Lima Expat Support Facebook group (really infomative page, btw) about a South African woman who hits up tourists (or people who look like tourists) with the story that she has been robbed of her passport and her money. In my neighborhood, there is a guy who does pretty much the same thing. Time after time, good samaritans fall for their stories. I came across this article recently and encourage you to pass it around.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wh ... ign=FBPost

ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Gringos hitting up gringos on the streets for cash

Postby ironchefchris » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:46 pm

I've seen studies that show well dressed people being much more successful at getting 'donations' from other well dressed people than are their less well dressed counterparts.

Test subject hung out at Penn Station in NYC asking strangers for money (lost/stolen wallet story) so he could catch a train home. One time he was dressed shabby, the next time he wore a suit and a tie. He did much better when he wore a suit and tie. The smart ones who know how to clean themselves up nice are aware of this and use it to their advantage.

Before I left the states I noticed people who ask for money changing their approach from "Spare any change?" to "Can you spare any part of $20?" They probably started scoring more twenties.

Haven't seen any of what you describe here in Arequipa - yet?
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:19 pm

Yeah I've had the South African woman ask me for money last year. She told me she had gotten the bus from ecuador into Lima at Plaza Norte and then was robbed at gun point by the taxi driver who was taking her from Plaza Norte to Miraflores.

She said she needed money to get back to Ecuador as Peru does not have a South African embassy.

I gave her twenty soles which is a lot of money for me as i was always struggling to get by in Lima. I told her where the La Menu palces were, so she could get a cheap meal everyday until she'd raised enough to get back to Ecuador.

The following week i seen her in Wong on Ovalo Guiterrez buying a 8 soles cup of coffee. When i asked "how she could afford to buy a 8 soles coffee in her situation?" She said she was "still struggling to raise money!" And then she asked me for more cash. I'd learned my lesson by now though and just walked off.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:48 pm

Honest Gringos who seen dishonest gringos making these kind of things, should take a picture or make a movie and post it on youtube
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FDiH » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:59 am

SilverbackPeru wrote:Yeah I've had the South African woman ask me for money last year. She told me she had gotten the bus from ecuador into Lima at Plaza Norte and then was robbed at gun point by the taxi driver who was taking her from Plaza Norte to Miraflores.

I also fell for her trickery. She was at Real Plaza (Av Wilson). Her story was really convincing and not that pushy. Also gave her 20 bucks. I hope someone takes a photo of her and blasts it over the Interwebz to warn off travellers and expats.
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgp » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:34 am

I wonder what is inside of the head of these kind of people :evil: ... How in this world
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:18 am

asgp wrote:I wonder what is inside of the head of these kind of people :evil: ... How in this world

I wonder the same. Clearly they are able to dress themselves well, present themselves properly, and have enough cleverness to get a job if they desired to do so.

So either their moral character is so awful that they can't hold a job without getting caught stealing, or they get some kind of thrill from tricking people. Perhaps it is a sort of addiction?

In any case, I strongly suspect they have a mental disorder of some sort. It's an open question as to what, exactly, that mental disorder is, though.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:46 am

I don't know about the job part, it's difficult in Peru to make a decent wage to survive, especially if you don't know Spanish. Even more so if you don't have a degree.

You just need to go to the job posts on here and the other expat based site to see how poor the wages are on the advertised posts. I'm back home now and i easily make more money on a Friday and Saturday night than i would in a month with most office jobs advertised on here.

I can see how people end up in the situation of having to con. Stuck in a foreign land, no family to help, no way of getting back, not being able to find a proper job, it can all easily go wrong for someone.
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:23 am

"Stuck in a foreign land, no family to help, no way of getting back, not being able to find a proper job"

My question is why do people put themselves in this position to begin with?
Have they erroneously been told that Peru is a land of easy money thus easy living?
Large and in charge!
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:14 pm

Well there would always be plenty of people who posted on here who would make it sound like a dream location, usually because their pension would buy more than what it would in the States. If your not particularly skilled then Peru is a difficult place, hell it can be a difficult place for even skilled workers.

I just think it's unfair to think it's lack of morals maybe with everyone. If you don't have any help to get you out of a difficult situation you can easily be stuck. I've seen plenty of stories on here about foreigners who live here but can't afford to return home over the last 8 years i've been logging on.

Peru is a very unforgiving place, especially if you compare it to all the help you are provided with in say western Europe if you hit hard times. Life can really throw the unexpected twists at you when you least expect it.
DC_20833
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby DC_20833 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:59 am

I hate to sound cold but I don't give money away to people on the streets no matter what the story is. See those ladies with babies begging for money, the babies are rented from their real mothers. My wife told me she actually heard one of them say she was gonna get a new one because the baby pooped too much. In my 10 plus years in Peru I have heard some good hard luck stories with great drama. After I first got here I took a taxi and the driver broke into tears because his father needed emergency surgery but he didn't have the money I felt sorry for him, but then I thought how do I know this is true and declined to donate. Then he tried to overcharge me for the ride.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:24 am

DC_20833 wrote:I hate to sound cold but I don't give money away to people on the streets no matter what the story is. See those ladies with babies begging for money, the babies are rented from their real mothers. My wife told me she actually heard one of them say she was gonna get a new one because the baby pooped too much. In my 10 plus years in Peru I have heard some good hard luck stories with great drama. After I first got here I took a taxi and the driver broke into tears because his father needed emergency surgery but he didn't have the money I felt sorry for him, but then I thought how do I know this is true and declined to donate. Then he tried to overcharge me for the ride.

I have had drivers break into tears twice and hold animated conversations with hospitals on their cell while they drove. Most likely a scam... but definite points for effort and acting!
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:48 am

DC_20833 wrote:I hate to sound cold but I don't give money away to people on the streets no matter what the story is. See those ladies with babies begging for money, the babies are rented from their real mothers. My wife told me she actually heard one of them say she was gonna get a new one because the baby pooped too much. In my 10 plus years in Peru I have heard some good hard luck stories with great drama. After I first got here I took a taxi and the driver broke into tears because his father needed emergency surgery but he didn't have the money I felt sorry for him, but then I thought how do I know this is true and declined to donate. Then he tried to overcharge me for the ride.

I always ask the fare before getting in.
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:02 am

Sometimes they are sob stories other times they are legit.
I know a taxi driver married to an American woman who abandoned him and his boys leaving them to fend for themselves.
That's pretty cold.
Large and in charge!
DC_20833
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby DC_20833 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:14 pm

Alan wrote:I have had drivers break into tears twice and hold animated conversations with hospitals on their cell while they drove. Most likely a scam... but definite points for effort and acting!

Yeah, when it comes to money Peruvians are good actors. Even some members of my wife's family give me hard luck stories with great drama and I simply tell them I don't have the money. By the way, even my wife says when it comes to money to not trust most of her family.
RyanJ2912

Postby RyanJ2912 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:00 pm

I've thought it would be a great opportunity to rip of the other gringos. Maybe instead it would be better to offer a serves. As an American it'd be more comforting to have one pick me up from the airport, take me on a tour, translate for me. Not sure how much money is in that.

My wife's family hasn't ever hussled me for money. I've definitely helped them financially and with fixing up their house. I.e buying a stove, putting a concrete floor throughout the house... was mud... digging trenches and connecting the sewer.

My mother in law just had an aneurism and I've had to help out with what I could. But, they haven't ever taken advantage of me. They're a very respectful, humble and genuine family.

Or I've been conned... :mrgreen:

Been friends now for 7 years. Married for 1 and a half years. Two baby boys.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register