Questions regarding culture in Peru

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
student17

Questions regarding culture in Peru

Postby student17 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:24 pm

Hello,

I'm a student who is planning to study abroad in Chile and Peru. One of the assignments for this study abroad program requires me to get answers to questions regarding cultural differences between the United States and Peru. Can anyone help me by answering any of these questions regarding business culture in Peru?

1. Are there any common customs in the U.S. that are rude in Peru?
2. How important is eye contact during business discussions?
3. Among business circles, how do Peruvians see United States citizens? For instance, are they generally wary of U.S. citizens or are they amiable?
4. Should you greet people along a social hierarchy? Or do you just greet whoever you encounter first?
5. How punctual is a person expected to be when arriving for a business meeting? Should they be early, on time, or a little late?

Thank you for your help.

ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Questions regarding culture in Peru

Postby ironchefchris » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Just my observations. I haven't dealt with anyone above small business owner. Perhaps others who've been here longer and/or have experience with business dealings on a higher level will offer differing or more in depth opinions/observations.

1) The one I can think of off the top of my head is pointing your finger at someone. Considered rude here.

2) I haven't noticed any difference between the US and Perú re: eye contact when discussing business.

3) From my experience amiable. Some people in society may look unfavorably upon you because you're a gringo, but it's not likely going to be anyone who conducts business with foreigners.

4) Not sure about this. I just greet people by proximity. No one has informed me of any protocol re: order of greeting.

5) No matter what time you arrive there's always the possibility that the person you are meeting with will arrive late. You won't know till you get there and/or get to know the person better whether they're the type to be late, on time, or early. I'd show up a bit early, but not too early; just in case they are the type of person who values their (and hopefully your) time no matter what the prevailing cultural norm is. I don't see how anything is to be gained by showing up late. If there's some status/power to be gained by being late or the last to arrive I'm not aware.

Good luck with your study abroad program.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:21 pm

student17 wrote:Hello, 1. Are there any common customs in the U.S. that are rude in Peru?

Not really. I haven't seen any kind of rudeness while talking or working with US citizens. On the contrary you will notice some sort of natural compatibility among people.
RICHARDandNORA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby RICHARDandNORA » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:05 am

1) Americans like to keep some distance from other individuals, but Peruvians have no problem being very close and/or touching each other. Peruvians often think that Americans are rude for keeping that distance.
2) I have experienced no difference.
3) When I first arrived in Peru 20 years ago, everyone wanted to have interaction with me and I detected a high level of respect. Now, I am just another foreigner and being American, I no longer have the respect as before.
4) It is according to the class of the overall group. If a high level group, then yes. For a middle to lower class group it does not seem to matter.
5) To a Peruvian, being late is expected and proper nearly always.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:51 am

student17 wrote:Hello,

I'm a student who is planning to study abroad in Chile and Peru. One of the assignments for this study abroad program requires me to get answers to questions regarding cultural differences between the United States and Peru. Can anyone help me by answering any of these questions regarding business culture in Peru?

2. How important is eye contact during business discussions?

Thank you for your help.

Eye contact during meetings is the same as you would expect in North America, ie. lack of eye contact suggests lack of interest. On a similar note, eye contact is expected when shaking hands and when clinking wine glasses. You might also be interested in reading the short bit of content here: http://www.expatperu.com/peruvian-manne ... uette.html
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:58 am

And even if you find it repulsive, don't turn down the shared glass of beer or pisco being passed around.
My main beef with it other than it being repulsive sharing the same glass is it seems the guy in front of me always pours a thimble amount.
Barely enough to taste.
I'd rather have a full glass.
If you're gonna drink then drink.
Large and in charge!
ortegapp

Postby ortegapp » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:25 pm

You have to understand that "peruvian" is a very wide category.
people in Peru behave and think different based on age, location, education,origin,,etc.
People in the coastal cities like Lima are more outgoing , and friendly.
people from Sierra (andean cities) are more shy. probably they look not than happier than the costeños unless they are in a "carnaval" (local community party)

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register