Baby born in Peru but don't want them to have DNI

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
erc

Baby born in Peru but don't want them to have DNI

Postby erc » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:18 am

We are expecting a baby in November and are currently looking into how to register the birth, etc. We have a question regarding DNI/CE that I have looked everywhere but can't find an answer to... My husband is British, and I am a dual British/Spanish citizen. Britain allow more than two nationalities, however, as far as I have been told (can you ever trust consulates completely?) three nationalities is a problem for Spain. Our child is entitled to British and Spanish nationalities, and we would like him to have both with the UK leaving the EU. For this reason, we would prefer at this point that our child not get Peruvian nationality at birth. I have been looking everywhere to see if it is possible for a child to be born here and not automatically be registered as a Peruvian citizen with a DNI, and instead register him with a family visa and CE, but I have not found an answer to this. I am sure we are not the first family to have looked into this, so would be grateful for any information that can be shared with us.

Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Baby born in Peru but don't want them to have DNI

Postby Alan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:55 pm

A very interesting question and one that has never been raised on this forum. I suppose the question to ask is whether you can apply for citizeship in Spain or the UK based on the birth certificate only. But the, you have the awkward situation of leaving the country on a passport that does not show entry into the country.

Another option is to register Spanish and Peruvian, then apply for the UK citizenship down the road.

Good luck!
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:51 pm

It shouldn't be an issue not to get Peruvian citizenship for your child. They're going to understand that a baby BORN in Peru isn't going to have an extra stamp. I can speak for other countries. Both my kids were born in a third country and had NO entry stamp. I simply registered them with immigration. I'm sure Peru is the same.

The only thing is picking what passport they'll be on. My kids are Peruvian and American. I'm both as well. Al three of us are Americans in Korea. The Peruvian passport took too long to get and after three months you're fined.

Seriously not an issue. Babies are born abroad all the time. Just get them the correct stamp in the correct time.

What you need to do is check the embassy websites for Britain and Spain and gather all the docs necessary. Mine were born in Korea. America requires a crapton of docs. I had a folder about two inches thick. Peru required two docs. That's it.

You'll go to the embassy and get the passports. Once you do that, then you'll take the passport plus the necessary docs that inmigraciones requires and get them the stamp. Easy least lemon squeezy. Trust me. Loads of foreign kids have been born in Peru and don't have Peruvian citizenship. They'll then give them a visa which would be similar to an entry stamp so you'll be golden.
erc

Postby erc » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:35 am

Thank you so much for the replies.

Alan - that's a good point you raise about leaving the country on a passport that doesn't show entry. Maybe that's part of the problem, I know when you get your carne they need to know all the details about your entry.

naturegirl - I too assumed it would be that straightforward. I always thought that just because you get citizenship by birth it doesn't mean you have to take it up. However I have been told by a couple of people that had children here that it was impossible for them to get around the DNI thing. Your assigned DNI number is even printed on the Peruvian birth certificate! (I was shown this yesterday). Another potential issue is apparently also to do with health insurance. I was told the baby is only covered for 15 days on the mother's health insurance, but in order to add them and use the plan you need their DNI/CE (or passport, if waiting for CE). There is no way we would receive a British passport in that period of time...

Thank you so much for your responses, they have been very helpful. If worse comes to worst we will have to get him the DNI & Peruvian passport and the British, and just wait until he is 18 so that he can give up Peruvian citizenship (this cannot be done as a minor) and acquire Spanish... There are worse things in life than being entitled to too many nationalities! :)
Cactus fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Cactus fan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:46 pm

erc wrote:We are expecting a baby in November and are currently looking into how to register the birth, etc. We have a question regarding DNI/CE that I have looked everywhere but can't find an answer to... My husband is British, and I am a dual British/Spanish citizen. Britain allow more than two nationalities, however, as far as I have been told (can you ever trust consulates completely?) three nationalities is a problem for Spain. Our child is entitled to British and Spanish nationalities, and we would like him to have both with the UK leaving the EU. For this reason, we would prefer at this point that our child not get Peruvian nationality at birth. I have been looking everywhere to see if it is possible for a child to be born here and not automatically be registered as a Peruvian citizen with a DNI, and instead register him with a family visa and CE, but I have not found an answer to this. I am sure we are not the first family to have looked into this, so would be grateful for any information that can be shared with us.

Get the Spanish nationality for your child. As Britain has been kicked out of the EU, the British passport will be useless. Unless your child dreams about a life in Britain or some of the 'great' British colonies like Pakistan, Nigeria, Bangladesh, Sierra Leone, Togo and Gabon.

I am sure you don't want your child to grow up in Britain, the country best know for acid attacks, highest number of teenage pregnancies, spice addicts and a corrupt government that bending over for illegal immigrants that have more rights than it's own citizens. Britain took the choice to kick out EU citizens and they will be replaced with millions of refugees. Loads of them are adults posing as unaccompanied child refugees thus guaranteeing them asylum, free housing and welfare benefits for life. Britain will pay the price.

I lived in Britain for many years. I had a great time, the British people I've met and worked with were great. Really nice people.
I lived in the UK between 1995 and 2000. Recently, I went back for a few weeks. I noticed that the country has been gone downhill. The streets are full of rif raf and undesirables. Drugs, beggars, pawnshops and FOBT's all over the place.

With an EU passport, your child will have the possibility to live and work in more than 35 countries and benefits from all the rights and benefits. Your child will have the highest standards of living, healthcare and education in the world.
Last edited by Cactus fan on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
naturegirl

Postby naturegirl » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:18 pm

Please update after the baby is born.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:33 am

Cactus fan wrote:Get the Spanish nationality for your child. As Britain has been kicked out of the EU, the British passport will be useless. Unless your child dreams about a life in Britain or some of the 'great' British colonies like Pakistan, Nigeria, Bangladesh, Sierra Leone, Togo and Gabon.

I am sure you don't want your child to grow up in Britain, the country best know for acid attacks, highest number of teenage pregnancies, spice addicts and a corrupt government that bending over for illegal immigrants that have more rights than it's own citizens. Britain took the choice to kick out EU citizens and they will be replaced with millions of refugees. Loads of them are adults posing as unaccompanied child refugees thus guaranteeing them asylum, free housing and welfare benefits for life. Britain will pay the price.

Ha ha ha... again another reality warper! IIRC there was a referendum whether to stay or to leave... and I guarantee you that in many EU countries the people would vote to leave the EU if they were ever permitted to vote. Look at the Swiss for example. By your logic they are dumb because they even did not join the EU. I promise you that Brexit will soon pay off to GB. Very wise decision.

Your other remarks about GB describe the general situation across all Europe. Look at Sweden, look at Germany, look at France. Vast majority of EU countries have problems with immigrants coz there is little filtering who can come and who not. Such immigration policy never works for an industrialized country. I'm glad that GB took the emergency exit before this artificial construction named EU falls on their heads. There is no example in history of a working multi-language multi culture empire - all have failed. And EU also will. It will because its own bloated bureaucracy will at the end fail to finance itself. The future means de-globalization and early de-globalizers will be the winners. I'm sure that US and UK will do well in the future. China probably too. Not sure at all about EU countries, especially the west. Trapped between US domination, UK leaving, China swallowing their industries and on top of all that flooded with waves of barbarians does not look like a perspective to me :mrgreen:

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register