ATM withdrawals

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

ATM withdrawals

Postby Polaron » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:36 am

I realize this may have been discussed before but I see something that might be a major change. Or it might just affect me.

I do my banking with USAA because it is one of the less evil contential institutions. They charge only 1% foreign currency fee instead of the customary 3% and they always reimburse me up to $15 per month in ATM fees that I incur here. Up until this month I've always been able to withdraw up to 2,000 soles at BCP each day.

However this month I've been able to withdraw only $700 and after that my card receives an error message. Bank Personnel look at my card and say that it won't work here. Surprisingly the same thing happens at Scotiabank.

Now is this a new procedure on certain local banks part for everyone or just for USAA card holders? Or am I just losing it?

Anyway I've already open an account at Bank of America because they have an agreement with Scotiabank concerning free-free withdrawals. Nonetheless I thought I'd ask.

Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
Andywalters
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: ATM withdrawals

Postby Andywalters » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:44 am

I have had the a very similar problem with my Mastercard prepaid debit card, up until last month for the last 5 years i could withdraw dollars and soles from bcp without a charge but now I cannot withdraw either....they don`t know why but I reckon they have changed their policies!
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:53 am

Polaron wrote:I realize this may have been discussed before but I see something that might be a major change. Or it might just affect me.

I do my banking with USAA because it is one of the less evil contential institutions. They charge only 1% foreign currency fee instead of the customary 3% and they always reimburse me up to $15 per month in ATM fees that I incur here. Up until this month I've always been able to withdraw up to 2,000 soles at BCP each day.

However this month I've been able to withdraw only $700 and after that my card receives an error message. Bank Personnel look at my card and say that it won't work here. Surprisingly the same thing happens at Scotiabank.

Now is this a new procedure on certain local banks part for everyone or just for USAA card holders? Or am I just losing it?

Anyway I've already open an account at Bank of America because they have an agreement with Scotiabank concerning free-free withdrawals. Nonetheless I thought I'd ask.

$700= S/.2254
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:14 am

You're right this darn voice to text. What I meant to say was that I was able to withdraw only 700 soles. I think the autocorrect got me as well. Anyway it seems that Scotiabank also changed their policy. Fortunately I have opened an account at Bank of America, and for now I can use it to make withdrawals without an ATM theme at Scotiabank. However they still get you with a 3% foreign transaction fee.

It doesn't seem to be a way around it either. A few months back I looked into transferring funds from a u.s. bank to BCP, but BCP charges a commission for ACH transfers and of course no one in the bank knows how much it is until you actually make the transfer and it varies by amount transferred.

Welcome to 21st century banking where he who gouges the most wins.
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FDiH » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:40 am

The Dutch embassy posted a message on their FB page regarding BCP atm transactions:

Dutch expats and Dutch tourists in Peru CAUTION

Due to technical changes in the computer system of the Peruvian bank, Banco de Crédito del Perú (BCP), the Dutch bank card is only available once a month for a maximum of 700 soles. The technical changes are expected to last six months. With other Peruvian banks, you can use the ATM more than once a month with a maximum of 400 soles per transaction.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:24 pm

FDiH wrote:The Dutch embassy posted a message on their FB page regarding BCP atm transactions:

Due to technical changes in the computer system of the Peruvian bank, Banco de Crédito del Perú (BCP), the Dutch bank card is only available once a month for a maximum of 700 soles. The technical changes are expected to last six months. With other Peruvian banks, you can use the ATM more than once a month with a maximum of 400 soles per transaction.

Thank you that explains a lot. Okay folks so until March of 2018 or so count BCP withdrawals out if you have a non Peruvian bank account. 700 Soles and then that's it for the month
Danny55
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Danny55 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:43 am

FDiH wrote:The Dutch embassy posted a message on their FB page regarding BCP atm transactions:

Thanks - I used to enjoy taking out USD from an international account and I never got charged by my bank or BCP - then I could change at a good rate in the street for soles.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:37 am

Just a quick update. I went to the ATM to draw the usual max S.400 allowed by Banko Continental using my British Building Society, VISA debit card, but made the mistake of using the BCP machine. I tried to cancel but it carried on to the security part. I keyed in the various and low and behold payed out S700 without any problem. I am going to leave a week and then try again with a different debit card.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register