What can I bring back?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

What can I bring back?

Postby woodchuck » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:29 am

Good Morning all,

Plan to return to Lima on Oct. 31; have some ?'s about what I can bring back w/o being taxed.
My wife would like a new cell phone, but I already have one I brought with me.
I would have a receipt for purchase, but am told customs often inflates these costs.
Also bringing back vitamins that are not available in Peru or can be shipped there.
Any comments or suggestions?
Best wishes to all.

PS - have a bit of room in my suitcase if anyone needs an item

Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: What can I bring back?

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:47 am

woodchuck wrote:Good Morning all,

Plan to return to Lima on Oct. 31; have some ?'s about what I can bring back w/o being taxed.
My wife would like a new cell phone, but I already have one I brought with me.
I would have a receipt for purchase, but am told customs often inflates these costs.
Also bringing back vitamins that are not available in Peru or can be shipped there.
Any comments or suggestions?
Best wishes to all.

PS - have a bit of room in my suitcase if anyone needs an item

Oct. 31? Halloween candy! Lol
Just open the cell, take it out of its package and stick it in between ur trousers.
If they find it say u always travel w a spare.
I smuggle stuff back all the time.
U might say I'm a lucky man.
“When you’re in, you’re in.” —
Ignacio Varga
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:40 am

I wouldn't sweat it. I've brought back multiple phones, laptops, bottles of ibuprofen and loratadine (Claritin)... just make sure it doesn't look like you're going to resell it. That's the big no-no. Take things out of their boxes, remove all the plastic wrapping, twist-ties, etc. If you REALLY need the box (if it is an xmas gift) then fold it up nicely and put it in separate luggage. And don't have TOO many and don't pack more than one laptop or phone in a single bag. Also, while they x-ray all your luggage, they don't put your jacket through...

When it comes to large high-priced items (like a AV receiver or something) I've just declared it and paid the tax. They've always accepted the price I paid on the receipt (since I buy a lot from Amazon, it's usually a printout of the Amazon order). However, please note that if you pack the item in a suitcase, they always seem to go through everything else in that suitcase carefully. I have no idea why. Maybe they just figure it is already open so they might as well look through it. So don't pack anything they might give you a hard time about in that bag.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:45 am

I remember 6 years ago coming back to Peru, everyone had to fill out "declaration forms" of what you were bringing into Peru.
If you didn't list an item they later discovered, would there be a fine/penalty?
I remember under $200 there is no tax, is that correct?
Thanks.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:35 pm

This being Peru, there is a wide gulf between what the law says and what the reality on the ground is.

But yes, items less than $200 are tax free, up to some annual limit (not sure exactly what it is).

The only items I've ever declared on the form are things that were so large and expensive that I didn't want to take any risk.

I'm pretty sure that if they went through each person's luggage completely they would find several technical infractions of the law for almost every single adult, and probably many children too. So thankfully they don't do that :-)
Cactus fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Cactus fan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:23 pm

All baggage gets scanned when you go trough customs at Jorge Chavez but I am wondering what they are looking for.

I once brought in too many Cuban cigars when traveling from Havana to Lima but after scanning my bag, they didn't say anything.

I wouldn't worry about a phone or two. They are only checking bagage so just stick in the pocket of your jacket.

And when leaving Peru, customs checks a lot with dogs but the are looking for something more interesting and more worthwhile smuggling than a stupid phone.
The ''Peru Two'' know all about it.
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:08 pm

I know a woman that smuggled in Victoria Secret panties, bras and perfume to re-sell in Peru at a profit.
No problems.
Large and in charge!
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:33 am

Yea, that totally happens. I've also been in toy stores and seen Lego boxes that had stickers on them that said "For Sale Only At Walmart", which means the store owner smuggled in the Legos to sell at the store.

This is exactly what Peruvian customs tries to prevent, but a lot of it gets through anyway.
Cactus fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Cactus fan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:02 am

gringolandia wrote:Yea, that totally happens. I've also been in toy stores and seen Lego boxes that had stickers on them that said "For Sale Only At Walmart", which means the store owner smuggled in the Legos to sell at the store.

This is exactly what Peruvian customs tries to prevent, but a lot of it gets through anyway.

I don't think it was worthwhile for him to fly to the US, buy Lego at Walmart and then smuggle it himself in his suitcase to Peru.

It was probably made in China or Taiwan and the boxes were printed there for Wallmart but Walmart ordered to many and they got sold to other buyers.
A lot of stuff get smuggled worldwide and often it's only possible because customs are corrupt and in the business themselves.

I was recently in Kuala Lumpur and in Chinatown, it's full of shops selling fake Rolexes, Breitlings, Omegas, Bucherons and fake Louis Vuitton bags.
The sellers told me that they imported it from Taiwan.
Such big amount of goods can't be imported without the knowledge of customs. Customs also know the market in Chinatown. They don't raid it and don't confiscate the goods. So, they must be in the businesses themselves or get a ''propinita''.
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgp » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:39 pm

gringolandia wrote:This being Peru, there is a wide gulf between what the law says and what the reality on the ground is.

Say that.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register