Structures in desert

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
Patepluma

Structures in desert

Postby Patepluma » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:28 pm

A few days ago (during the day) took the bus from Lima to Trujillo. In many places along the way in the dry desert there were long building-like structures that appeared to maybe be covered in cloth. Does anyone know what these are used for? I was thinking some kind of agriculture but in most places there was no river or any green nearby. They were in the driest places. So I don't know where the water source would be. At one stretch there were some signs that the land was property of the Concesion Minero Quimpac, south of Huacho. But what would these structures be used for in mining? Puzzling because there were so many of them in so many places.

Also along the route in the desert areas there were often huge areas with dozens of little one-room wooden shacks scattered more-or-less evenly about 50 yards apart. Usually these were near the longer structures. There were no people around in any of these places nor any sign that people lived in these. There was absolutely nothing outside or around the shacks (litter, clothes, benches, etc) that would indicate these huts were inhabited. Any idea what these are?

fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Structures in desert

Postby fanning » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:42 am

Chickfarms. That is what they usually are.

And the huts I think are 'invasiones' I think once you put a 'house' on it, after a while you can claim it yours, so they put a shack on it, and after some years they can get ownership of it, and build a real house on it, usually with some sort of associacion, that is why they are all 'together' on the same stretch of land.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:50 pm

Patepluma wrote:A few days ago (during the day) took the bus from Lima to Trujillo. In many places along the way in the dry desert there were long building-like structures that appeared to maybe be covered in cloth. Does anyone know what these are used for? I was thinking some kind of agriculture but in most places there was no river or any green nearby. They were in the driest places. So I don't know where the water source would be. ?

Fanning is right: they are huge chicken coops. They truck in the water.
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:55 am

Okay, I'm confused.
Are the huts the huge chicken coops?
Large and in charge!
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:57 am

fanning wrote:Chickfarms. That is what they usually are.

And the huts I think are 'invasiones' I think once you put a 'house' on it, after a while you can claim it yours, so they put a shack on it, and after some years they can get ownership of it, and build a real house on it, usually with some sort of associacion, that is why they are all 'together' on the same stretch of land.

Chicken squatters?
Large and in charge!
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgp » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:31 pm

Granjas de pollo

Patepluma

Postby Patepluma » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:43 pm

So with the invasiones those people don't have to live in the house? Just build it and let it set for so many years? I didn't see any sign of habitation in numerous collections of the huts.
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:08 pm

Patepluma wrote:So with the invasiones those people don't have to live in the house? Just build it and let it set for so many years? I didn't see any sign of habitation in numerous collections of the huts.

Probably don't want to live around smelly chicken crap and all that crowing and clucking going on.
It would drive me bonkers.
Large and in charge!

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register