The Census is Sunday

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
DC_20833
Gold Member
Gold Member

The Census is Sunday

Postby DC_20833 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:38 am

For those of you that have come to Peru since 2007, Sunday the Peruvian Government is doing a census. That means everybody has to stay at home and wait for representatives from the government office conducting the census to arrive and ask you a bunch of questions. If I remember correctly all businesses were closed in the morning but reopened in the afternoon so people who had been "counted" could go shopping or whatever. Have fun everybody I might sleep through the whole thing.

adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The Census is Sunday

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:52 am

COSAS QUE NO PUEDES HACER DURANTE EL DÍA DEL CENSO 2017
Fuente: Diario Correo
08 de octubre del 2017
Este domingo 22 de octubre se realizará el Censo 2017, por ello hay una serie de restricciones que se aplicarán durante toda la jornada en la que miles de empadronadores recorrerán el país.
¿Qué NO se puede hacer?
En primer lugar, el domingo 22 hay orden de inamovilidad. Es decir, las personas están obligadas a quedarse en sus casas. Esta disposición va desde las 8:00 am. hasta las 5:00 pm.
Las personas que no cumplan con esta medida podrían recibir multas, ser detenidos y ser censados en la comisaría.
Sin embargo, las personas que laboran ese día, como médicos, periodistas y policías, serán censados una semana antes y contarán con una "constancia de persona empadronada" para que puedan movilizarse.
En consecuencia, tampoco se podrá acudir a establecimientos públicos. supermercados, mercados y negocios en general están obligados por ley a cerrar sus puertas.
Esta disposición se enmarca en el Decreto Supremo Nº062-2017-PCM y solo estará vigente durante la fecha del censo desde las 8:00 am hasta las 5:00 pm.
Por ello, el presidente del INEI, Aníbal Sánchez, instó a los ciudadanos comprar sus productos de primera necesidad antes del Censo a fin de evitar desabastecimientos.
Tampoco se podrá acudir a iglesias, cines, restaurantes y bares, pues también están obligados a no atender al público por el Censo 2017.
Además, el transporte público estará suspendido e incluye a medios de transporte urbano como el Metropolitano, el Metro de Lima, taxis, colectivos y los buses de los corredores viales.
En cuanto al transporte aéreo, sí habrá servicio tanto para vuelos nacionales como internacionales.
Peruanos en el extranjero:
Los compatriotas que se encuentren fuera del país durante el Censo 2017 no serán empadronados. El Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores elabora una encuesta virtual para peruanos en el extranjero que se realizará luego del censo nacional.⁠⁠⁠⁠
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:17 pm

From Forum Guidelines "* Posts and attachments should be in English when possible. If not, we ask that you attach a translation. Posts in other languages may be deleted at the moderators' discretion."
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3371
ironchefchris
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ironchefchris » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:39 pm

Does anyone know if this applies only to citizens or to those of us with CE's as well?

Friend from Canada with a tourist visa is visiting as well. Wonder what I should tell him if he wants to take advantage of the empty streets and plazas to take pictures or go for a hike in the country.
Last edited by ironchefchris on Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:43 pm

DC_20833 wrote:For those of you that have come to Peru since 2007, Sunday the Peruvian Government is doing a census. That means everybody has to stay at home and wait for representatives from the government office conducting the census to arrive and ask you a bunch of questions. If I remember correctly all businesses were closed in the morning but reopened in the afternoon so people who had been "counted" could go shopping or whatever. Have fun everybody I might sleep through the whole thing.

What should the illegals do?
Hide in the closet?
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:26 pm

jumpinjack wrote:From Forum Guidelines "* Posts and attachments should be in English when possible. If not, we ask that you attach a translation. Posts in other languages may be deleted at the moderators' discretion."
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3371

Quite Right. I am such a fool. This is not a discussion forum and as such posted the information I had. We are in Peru and their language is "Spanish". They did not include a translation for you. As you are obviously having problems with the language I have included a "Google" translation. Sorry for the slip up.

THINGS YOU CAN NOT DO DURING THE CENSUS DAY 2017
Source: Daily Mail
October 08, 2017
This Sunday, October 22 will be the 2017 Census, so there are a number of restrictions that will apply throughout the day in which thousands of enumerators will tour the country.
What can not be done?
First, on Sunday the 22 there is order of unmovability. That is, people are forced to stay in their homes. This arrangement runs from 8:00 am. until 5:00 pm.
Persons who fail to comply with this measure could receive fines, be detained and be registered at the police station.
However, the people who work that day, such as doctors, journalists and police, will be census a week before and will have a "registered person" to be able to mobilize.
Consequently, it will not be possible to go to public establishments either. supermarkets, markets and businesses in general are required by law to close their doors.
This provision is framed in Supreme Decree No. 0662-2017-PCM and will only be in force during the census date from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Therefore, the president of INEI, Aníbal Sánchez, urged citizens to buy their staples before the Census to avoid shortages.
Nor will it be possible to go to churches, cinemas, restaurants and bars, as they are also obliged not to attend the public by the 2017 Census.
In addition, public transportation will be suspended and include urban transportation such as the Metropolitan, Metro Lima, taxis, buses and buses of the road corridors.
As for air transport, there will be service for both domestic and international flights.
Peruvians abroad:
The compatriots who are out of the country during the 2017 Census will not be registered. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs prepares a virtual survey for Peruvians abroad that will take place after the national census.⁠⁠⁠⁠
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:37 pm

ironchefchris wrote:Does anyone know if this applies only to citizens or to those of us with CE's as well?

Friend from Canada with a tourist visa is visiting as well. Wonder what I should tell him if he wants to take advantage of the empty streets and plazas to take pictures or go for a hike in the country.

Chris they are talking about all, other than essential services. Your friends would be well advised to stay in the home next Sunday or face a hefty fine.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:45 pm

ironchefchris wrote:Does anyone know if this applies only to citizens or to those of us with CEs as well?

My wife says with some confidence that it *does* apply to residents with CE's as well.

In fact, according to a post at TripAdvisor, it applies to tourists and they must stay in their hotel:

TripAdvisor https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g ... -Peru.html wrote:The 22nd of October is national Census day and all persons - citizens, residents and tourists - need to stay in their hotel or home from 8 AM to 5 PM. No one is allowed out on the streets.

Independent travelers arriving at the airport will not be allowed to leave until 5 PM. All tourist facilities and restaurants in the country will be closed.

Also:

Peru Telegraph https://www.perutelegraph.com/news/peru ... 17-in-peru wrote:Who has to participate in the census in Peru?

Everyone who has been on Peruvian soil in the night between October 21 and 22 at 00.00 am is obligated to participate in the census. This includes Peruvians, foreign residents, tourists and other visitors.

I bet the hotel bars sell a lot of Pisco Sours on census day!
asgp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby asgp » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:10 pm

gringolandia wrote:
I bet the hotel bars sell a lot of Pisco Sours on census day!

ahhahahaha

Clever boy!

---

I was watching the news today and they said there will be no jail for those who decide to get some sun outside that day (if we can have some here in Lima)...
DC_20833
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby DC_20833 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:22 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:What should the illegals do?
Hide in the closet?

No register for welfare benefits like they do in the US.
DC_20833
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby DC_20833 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:27 am

ironchefchris wrote:Does anyone know if this applies only to citizens or to those of us with CE's as well?

It applies to everybody they wanted to count me last time and I didn't even have a CE.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:56 pm

I have read that even tourists in hotels will be counted. As to whether or not they can spend the day in the bar sipping Pisco Sours will depend the staff making it in to work.

There are no fines, and the police do not have the power to arrest people out in the street, but they will tell them to go back home until 5pm.

It is going to be interesting to see how the day plays out, and to see the results six months down the road. People are being asked to identify whether they are Catholic, Evangelical or otherwise and to self describe their ethnicity. Then, the usual questions about construction material in your home's walls, floors and roofs --. a good indication of wealth and progress over the past ten years.

Of course, the question likely to cause the biggest stir is "Who is head of the household?" :D
DC_20833
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby DC_20833 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:17 am

Alan wrote:
Of course, the question likely to cause the biggest stir is "Who is head of the household?" :D

I hope there are no frying pans available.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:25 pm

Nearly no traffic on the streets! No horns.. no combies... This is the quietest, most peaceful day I have ever experienced in Lima. Wonderful!

We had a polite university student come by a few hours ago. It took roughly 45 minutes to survey the 4 people in our home. The questions were interesting... meant mostly to determine levels of wealth, ethnic-background and ethnic/religious identificifation, health and disabilities, type of employment, health insurance, migratory patterns..

I thought it strange that ID numbers were requested, along with names. After all, isn´t it the percentages and ratios that are important... not the individual experience? It just seems that by asking for personal data, the participation rate might decrease, since some ¨might prefer to stay off the grid.
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FDiH » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:04 am

Same here in Huanuco. University student. Even at 16:35 hrs. when it was my turn, it seemed that he never seen the form (booklet) before or he really wanted to be sure as he treated every question like it was brand new to him.

I guess that if you want to stay of the radar you avoid being interviewed. It all seemed voluntary, although he was very presumptuous filling our my religion as catholic. I had to tell him that was incorrect. He looked baffled when I told him I was atheist. Guess that's Huanuco for you :)

Does anybody know how long it will take to process all the information? Is it done manually or will they use computers/scanners to read/scan the forms? Will they publish the outcome?
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:01 pm

FDiH wrote:
I guess that if you want to stay of the radar you avoid being interviewed. It all seemed voluntary, although he was very presumptuous filling our my religion as catholic. I had to tell him that was incorrect. He looked baffled when I told him I was atheist. Guess that's Huanuco for you :)

Does anybody know how long it will take to process all the information? Is it done manually or will they use computers/scanners to read/scan the forms? Will they publish the outcome?

hahaha.. not just Huanuco.. our interviewer pretty much jumped to the same conclusion regarding religion. On a related note, I bet the total number of evangelicals will end up being a surprise to many. I expect it to be higher than most people suspect.

I read this morning that the first results will be released in 3 months.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:05 pm

From my perspective the census was a disaster.

The census taker who came to our house only took information from my wife instead of each individual. This means that according to this census there are, for example, four Catholics in the house, instead of the reality that there is just one (my wife). At the time my wife had the sense that this was not correct and said so to the census taker, but that person said she did it the way she was told. So either she was told how to do it incorrectly, or she lied so she could finish her quota faster. Both are entirely possible. It was only later that my wife learned there was a Whatsapp contact you could complain to (we know one person who did so and the census taker was sent back to the house to do it correctly). For us, it was too late.

But that's not even the worst of it by far. My wife's mother, and all the family who live in that house in Surco, were not counted at all. No census taker ever went to their house. But wait, there's more! It turns out that no one in the entire area they live were counted! And the excuse was that they didn't have enough census takers to send there.

And then a brother-in-law of my wife also said that he has friends in Piura and Trujillo that were not counted at all either. The excuse there, apparently, was that they didn't have enough forms! (??!!).

I'll honestly be surprised if it turns out that only 3% of the urban population was not counted. From my perspective it seems like a lot more than that.
Last edited by gringolandia on Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:52 pm

I imagine they are just trying to get a statistical sampling. I have talked to people here in Miraflores that said nobody ever came.
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:34 am

It was a good day for sitting around and passing the pisco glass. :lol:
Large and in charge!
Cactus fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Cactus fan » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:19 am

Alan wrote:I have read that even tourists in hotels will be counted.

Will they also take a peek in those hostels that rent rooms ''por sesion''. :lol:
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:29 am

gringolandia wrote:From my perspective the census was a disaster.

The census taker who came to our house only took information from my wife instead of each individual.

I even didn't mind to to came out of my bedroom. They were happy that at all anyone opened the door coz otherwise they would have to come again over and over and dont get more compensation for that. YOu could have given them even the manual from your washing machine and they would go away with that.

So yes it was at least a partial failure...

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register