How do you keep from being bothered by locals?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
rudder
Gold Member
Gold Member

How do you keep from being bothered by locals?

Postby rudder » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:01 am

My peruvian wife and I were considering moving back to Peru. The keyword here is 'were'.

Yesterday we found out from our Peruvian lawyer (a greedy and untrustworthy individual asking for absurd amounts ofmoney!) that there's some sort of capture order against my wife now, because the lawyer, taking our money and saying he'll take care of it, didn't take care of things.

When I got engaged to my wife over three years ago in Tarapoto, her psychotic ex boyfriend found out and got jealous. He tried to wedge us apart by drumming up a bunch Of spurious legal accusations one after the other. Literally I endured three separate legal proceedings in 2014, having to appear in court and face this sick individual who was friends with certain lawyers and fiscales. One by one the courts threw out his unfounded legal demands, but he kept grasping at other legal avenues to try and **** us off.

My wife and I decided to just get out of there, so we petitioned the U.S. embassy in Lima, letting them know of this psychotic individual haunting us. In a special consular filing, the Embassy granted my wife a CR-1 permanent resident visa, and we flew to the USA where we have been living since Nov 2014.

Last year it surfaced that my wife's ex was bribing his buddies in the local fiscalia to dig out a three year old case, "denuncia calimniosa" where my wife was coerced to withdraw her denouncement of breaking and entering/attempted rape from the local comisaria. He kept bugging her to withdraw the denouncement, drafted a statement to the effect, then coerced her to sign it.

Now he's gotten his buddies in the fiscalia to dig up this case and the Fiscalia now has a case against my wife, for which she obviously has not been present, due to trying to have some peace and semblance of a normal life in the USA. She actually is now just a couple months away from being a US citizen.

Our plan was to save up some money, and build a sustainable homestead near Moyobamba, and even go visit my wife's family this coming April, but we're just remembering how the people are in that part of the world. It's not just my wife's ex, it's the toxic culture. I remember what other expats were telling me and even what other Peruvians told me about their own people.

If you're successful, people will envy you, and try to cut you down at the knees. They'll rob you, do black magic against you, sue you, and the authorities are so inept/corrupt that you have basically zero recourse except to get out and let the savages tear themselves to pieces so to speak.

I'm really curious how some of you wealthy gringos have weathered that crime ridden hole especially if you have outward signs of wealth like lots of land with animals, a decent car, a nice house, white skin, etc. Let's face it you're targets!

Also what would you say are more expat friendly countries in Latin America? Ecuador? Costa Rica? Maybe Panama? Why is that?

Turn a desert into a sustainable food oasis:

http://cropsfordrylands.com/
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: How do you keep from being bothered by locals?

Postby woodchuck » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:45 am

You have fallen into a "trap" thinking all expats are wealthy.
Some (like myself) came to Peru as I couldn't afford to live in the US on SS alone.
As to the other aspects of your post:

1. I had a dentist extract 4 teeth w/o x-rays costing me $400 when I complained (after finding my x-rays less than a year old), he tried to file charges against me.
2. I filed a complaint at INDECOPI & we had a meeting. In the meeting, he threatened to cut my throat if I continued with the complaint. This was in front of the investigator. I would have continued if my Peruvian wife was not so scared & upset. The dentist's family obviously had some powerful connections.
3. The sister of my Peruvian wife assaulted her (fist to the face); my wife notified the police who filed a report & there was a hearing. The judge wouldn't permit my wife's attorney to present the police report; of course, my wife was found guilty of harassment (charges filed by her sister). The sister has 3 businesses that sell high-end clothing; she has plenty of money to bribe anyone. We are appealing to have the judge recused.
4. An expat runs a pizza shop in a small town outside Lima. He is constantly being extorted for money or the "municipality will shut you down". He is pissed that he has to put up with these criminals. To date, he has refused to pay any money; he is looking to relocate his shop in hopes people will let him alone to run his business.

You have to realize you are "Not in Kansas anymore". PPK ran a campaign on cleaning up the corruption in Peru. There are some signs that corruption has been lessened, but there needs more work to be done. My best advice to any expat is just be aware that bribes/corruption are still firmly entrenched in Peru; change will take many years (if ever) to be successful.
rudder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rudder » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:41 am

Here's some details about the situation in another thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30468&p=153731#p153731
Turn a desert into a sustainable food oasis:

http://cropsfordrylands.com/
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:08 pm

Basically in Peru you have only these options:

1) never show any wealth here, keep your money outside of Peru

2) once you have some wealth, invest it in acceptable places and get out of this country :P
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:13 am

mrsteak wrote:Basically in Peru you have only these options:

1) never show any wealth here, keep your money outside of Peru

I don't think even that works tbh as I was always flat broke and struggling but it never stopped people from pestering me for cash endlessly. Getting over charged for everything was also a common problem.
It was an in joke at how my in-laws had to hide me around a corner so that they could get a fair price when they flagged down taxi drivers.
Although i was lucky to live in a nice part of Lima which was free of all problems you generally have to put up with in Lima and Peru which had really nice and friendly people. It's a shame other parts of the country couldn't be more like it but i guess those are the problems that lack of money causes in struggling countries. It's been good to see a reduction in this as Peru's economy grows however.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:35 am

My Peruvian wife & I do unscientific experiments how expats are charged more.
The one time it was with taxis.
I would ask for a rate & then my wife (later) would ask for a rate for the same destination with the same driver at the designated taxi spot.
In 5 out of 5 experiments, the rate was always higher for me as an expat.
The destination was close by; the "customary/fair rate" was 5 soles.
I was quoted 7.5 soles to 10 soles for the exact same trip as my Peruvian wife being quoted 5 soles.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:44 am

Yeah it was a regular thing for companies like Taxibeat drivers to try and over charge me if I was picked up from Park Kennedy. You even showed them the price on the app on your phone and they would still ask for 5 soles more. Don't get me started on repairmen and builders though! lol

At the end of the day being ripped off by the locals is just going to be an everyday thing until you have lived here longer and get more experience of living in Peru.
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:51 am

woodchuck wrote:My Peruvian wife & I do unscientific experiments how expats are charged more.
The one time it was with taxis.
I would ask for a rate & then my wife (later) would ask for a rate for the same destination with the same driver at the designated taxi spot.
In 5 out of 5 experiments, the rate was always higher for me as an expat.
The destination was close by; the "customary/fair rate" was 5 soles.
I was quoted 7.5 soles to 10 soles for the exact same trip as my Peruvian wife being quoted 5 soles.

This member has that taxi situation all worked out:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21119&p=109316&hilit=new+york+rate#p109316
bigdaddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bigdaddy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:19 pm

And this member didn't have his taxi situation all worked out...

viewtopic.php?t=7677
Large and in charge!
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:26 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:Yeah it was a regular thing for companies like Taxibeat drivers to try and over charge me if I was picked up from Park Kennedy. You even showed them the price on the app on your phone and they would still ask for 5 soles more. Don't get me started on repairmen and builders though! lol

At the end of the day being ripped off by the locals is just going to be an everyday thing until you have lived here longer and get more experience of living in Peru.

yeah all normal here... expect your rate to be between 1.00 and 3.00 the local rate. So, better you just know the local rate and do not let be ripped off...
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:19 pm

rudder wrote:Also what would you say are more expat friendly countries in Latin America? Ecuador? Costa Rica? Maybe Panama? Why is that?

hard to tell.... I would say try Uruguay, the population is made 99% of immigrants. The question is what option you have to live in a foreign country. You should go for immigration-open countries.
Polaron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Polaron » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:33 am

mrsteak wrote:
rudder wrote:Also what would you say are more expat friendly countries in Latin America? Ecuador? Costa Rica? Maybe Panama? Why is that?

hard to tell.... I would say try Uruguay, the population is made 99% of immigrants. The question is what option you have to live in a foreign country. You should go for immigration-open countries.

Costa Rica is quite gringo-friendly, though many gringos would dispute that. I moved from Mexico to CR in 2002, and upon my arrival, I almost felt like I was in the 51st state of the Union (and yes, I mean Costa Rica, not the island "Puelto Lico" as the locals there pronounce it).

Ecuador also has a reputation of being friendly to gringos, though the border areas (with Peru) and some parts of Guayaquil can be scary. As the last poster said, Uruguay is also a welcoming country and has some beautiful Atlantic beaches.

Of course there's the old joke about Chile being the country that is closest to Heaven, because it shares a 5,000-kilometer-long border with Argentina! :D
Professional, bilingual writer at your service.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:13 pm

Polaron wrote:Costa Rica is quite gringo-friendly, though many gringos would dispute that. I moved from Mexico to CR in 2002, and upon my arrival, I almost felt like I was in the 51st state of the Union (and yes, I mean Costa Rica, not the island "Puelto Lico" as the locals there pronounce it).

yes I hear +++ about Costa Rica as a place for expats. However again pretty tropical climate - not for everyone. And what I heard the immigration there is quite serious. Do not ever think you can overstay anything in CR....

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register