Where do you shop for [blank] in Lima?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
eugene.in.peru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Where do you shop for [blank] in Lima?

Postby eugene.in.peru » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:40 am

Where do you shop?

I've been living in Lima for about half a year now, and I'm starting to get bored with Plaza Vea and Wong. Those are the only two stores walking distance.
There are many things that I miss from US here in Lima, but more importantly how does one compare shop with out actually going to each store? Is there some online resource that aggregates all promotions in various fallabellas totus sodimacs, and lists them all?

High on my list of wants is COSTCO.
I miss being able to just walk in t he store knowing that the quality / price of products will be right on, without having to think about each thing. Is there anything like that in Lima?
Is there an equivalent to Trader Joes?
Which brand of coffee that sold commonly, is palatable?
What's a good store to buy car stuff in, like tires and what's the best way to get discount on good set of tires?
Do you buy all your groceries, drinks, supplies in one store or go to various, which ones?

Huayruru
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Where do you shop for [blank] in Lima?

Postby Huayruru » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:04 am

There is no general price compiling website for shops in Peru far as I know. (Maybe a market opportunity for someone?) But you certainly can get prices and buy online for certain shops (Sodimac, Maestro, Ripley, Saga, Wong, etc.)

Our general strategy is:

Weekly grocery shopping: Plaza Vea (cheaper than Wong, better fresh food than Metro.)
For meat we go to a local market, e.g. Surquillo, buy about a month's worth and freeze it.
For bottled water, we buy about 150 litres worth from Macro every 2-3 months.
Children's toys for birthdays etc. (a significant expenditure when you have kids with parties every few weeks) we buy opportunistically whenever there's a promotion in Tai Loi, Wong etc.
For car parts and accessories, there is no single go-to shop for everything (another market opportunity maybe?) and generally you have to shop around depending on what you need. Never bought car tyres, but I know there are some online stores, e.g. http://ekonollantas.com/ and they should be easy to compare. (Google llantas Lima)

Hope that's of help.
toughrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby toughrider » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:10 pm

If you can afford to buy in larger quantities then it works out cheaper at the mayoristas.
If you are good in haggling then you can save a lot of money by shopping at the mercados.
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:24 am

Most Gringos are afraid to haggle. They just accept the given price, whip out their wallet and pay.
For Peruanos, haggling is an art form.
They are experts at it and are incredulous that someone wouldn't do it.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:30 am

We did some shopping at Macro over Christmas. You need to get one of their cards (free) and either pay with one of their credit cards or cash, but it was an interesting experience. It is a box store so you need to buy in bulk, but the prices were great.

If you want something less massive, I suppose the neiborhood markets are an interesting option... the one in Magdalena is fun.

Have you tried Jiron Paruro downtown? Lots of cool stores there... many selling imports from China like teas, sauces, etc.

As far as online shopping... we have bought online from the major department stores, and also from "Lineo" (which I don't think has a brick and mortar location). The experience was good overall.

Regarding haggling...or bargaining.. you can do it at the markets. My wife says you should always ask for a discount. Usually 20% and you will end up with 10%. That's pretty much the price the vendor had in mind, so I don't see anything wrong with it, and it is pretty fast, not like Morocco for instance, where it can go on a long time.

Have fun!
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:43 pm

Alan wrote:Have you tried Jiron Paruro downtown? Lots of cool stores there... many selling imports from China like teas, sauces, etc.

There is lot of electronic and household stuff in Paruro. However it is a quite dangerous part of Lima, so watch your pockets and do not go there at dark.
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:39 pm

mrsteak wrote:
Alan wrote:Have you tried Jiron Paruro downtown? Lots of cool stores there... many selling imports from China like teas, sauces, etc.

There is lot of electronic and household stuff in Paruro. However it is a quite dangerous part of Lima, so watch your pockets and do not go there at dark.

Paruro really has three sections: behind the Congress... be cautious, in Chinatown -- no problem; and towards Av. Grau, which can be dicey.. especially at night.... but since the stores are closed at that time, there is no reason to go down there. The latter is where you will find electonics, particularly sound/studio equipment. The fun stores I mention in the Chinatown section, close to intersecction of Ucayali or Huallaga. If you are down there and feel up for some Chinese food, try Salon Capon.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:52 pm

Alan wrote:Paruro really has three sections: behind the Congress... be cautious, in Chinatown -- no problem; and towards Av. Grau, which can be dicey.. especially at night.... but since the stores are closed at that time, there is no reason to go down there. The latter is where you will find electonics, particularly sound/studio equipment. The fun stores I mention in the Chinatown section, close to intersecction of Ucayali or Huallaga. If you are down there and feel up for some Chinese food, try Salon Capon.

Once I went alone to Paruro and did not tell anything to my wife.... when I came back and she asked where I've been I said "paruro" and she nearly killed me saying "you could have been killed there!!!!" :mrgreen:
Formidable 1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Formidable 1 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:33 am

mrsteak wrote:
Alan wrote:Paruro really has three sections: behind the Congress... be cautious, in Chinatown -- no problem; and towards Av. Grau, which can be dicey.. especially at night.... but since the stores are closed at that time, there is no reason to go down there. The latter is where you will find electonics, particularly sound/studio equipment. The fun stores I mention in the Chinatown section, close to intersecction of Ucayali or Huallaga. If you are down there and feel up for some Chinese food, try Salon Capon.

Once I went alone to Paruro and did not tell anything to my wife.... when I came back and she asked where I've been I said "paruro" and she nearly killed me saying "you could have been killed there!!!!" :mrgreen:

Next time, try the Chinese food.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:49 am

Formidable 1 wrote:Next time, try the Chinese food.

I hate chinese food. Not only in Peru, everywhere in the world chinese food is full of sodium glutamate and other stuff that I really do not want to eat. Plus usually prepared with the cheapest fat/oil. No thanks.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register