Blood is Urgently Needed

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
DC_20833
Gold Member
Gold Member

Blood is Urgently Needed

Postby DC_20833 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:36 pm

There is a serious shortage of blood in Peru. I have stated this before and about three years ago I did a blood drive at Clinica San Felipe with limited involvement. People on this forum objected to the fact that Clinica San Felipe caters to wealthy people. I have listened to you. So I pose this question to you: Let's do a Blood Drive we will donate all the blood at Hospital Nacional Cayetano Heredia this is a public hospital. If you don't have insurance if you don't have Eslaud this where you go, simply put this where the poor go. I have donated blood there it is very safe. The Blood Bank has just been renovated it is very clean and SAFE. I have been a Lion since I was 18 years old and donating blood is a tradition of Lionism. I donate every 3 months, you can actually donate every 2 months in the US, but in Peru, the law is every 3 months. Here is the plan:

I want to, first of all, see if there is an interest in people donating blood. If there is interest I will screen you, basically ask you the questions they will ask you at the Blood Bank to determine if you are eligible to donate. Finally, if we have enough of people we will agree on a date and time and charter a bus to the Blood Bank. Hospital Nacional Cayetano Heredia is located in San Martín de Porres which is about an hour from Miraflores so I think the bus is the best option. I paid s/. 20.00 for a taxi back from the Hospital when I donated, my doctor who works there drove me to the Hospital.

As I said before, donating blood for me is a tradition. I truly enjoy knowing that someone's life could be saved and that does happen. You are never allowed to meet the person but God knows who donated and whose life was saved. To me donating blood is an honor and gives me a good feeling. I urge everyone here to get involved. Send me an email if you are interested, my email is [email protected], please put "Blood Drive" in the subject line.

mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Blood is Urgently Needed

Postby mrsteak » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:34 pm

I have 0 RH-.... if I have an accident I'll die in Peru.
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:01 pm

How much $ can you make donating?
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:16 pm

I do not think the Blood Bank is for $$$
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:50 pm

mrsteak wrote:I have 0 RH-.... if I have an accident I'll die in Peru.

You can become a member of Club RH negativo. ( I am, also O-neg )
In that case you can donate blood, and when you are in need, they provide you with O-neg donors without cost.

http://rhnegativoperu.com
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:40 pm

fanning wrote:

In that case you can donate blood, and when you are in need, they provide you with O-neg donors without cost.

Fanning: probably. However, I prefer to live in a country where medical supplies are not a problem, no matter whether it is blood or anything else. I'm anyway moving out here.
DC_20833
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby DC_20833 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:25 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:How much $ can you make donating?
You cannot sell blood in Perú, it is illegal. Your comment is totally inappropriate. Try sitting in a Blood Bank with families that need blood for a loved one it is not a pretty scene.
DC_20833
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby DC_20833 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:28 am

fanning wrote:

That is a wonderful organization.
DC_20833
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby DC_20833 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:31 am

You should donate every three months and have it designated for you. The blood will expire and then right before the expiration date, it can go to somebody who needs it if you do not need it. I call that a win-win situation.
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:44 am

DC_20833 wrote:
You cannot sell blood in Perú, it is illegal. Your comment is totally inappropriate. Try sitting in a Blood Bank with families that need blood for a loved one it is not a pretty scene.

Why is that comment inappropriate?
Money and getting paid money is a great motivator.
Getting paid to donate blood works in the U.S.
Why not Peru?
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:23 am

DC_20833 wrote:
You should donate every three months and have it designated for you. The blood will expire and then right before the expiration date, it can go to somebody who needs it if you do not need it. I call that a win-win situation.

My problem is I do NOT trust them. I got this advice even from a doctor when I had some issues "do NOT trust anyone and anything in Peru". In the worst case I donate blood and they sell it under the table and when I need it, I will get pork blood back.
DC_20833
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby DC_20833 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:36 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
DC_20833 wrote:

Why not Peru?

Because it is illegal. The people who sell blood in the states are usually poor or homeless and are considered a very risky population.
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:28 pm

DC_20833 wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
DC_20833 wrote:

Why not Peru?

Because it is illegal. The people who sell blood in the states are usually poor or homeless and are considered a very risky population.

Not following. There's plenty of poor and homeless that could use the money and donors that could use the blood.
As far as risky, if you mean AIDS, certainly there is HIV screening being done.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:44 am

There are people in this world that just don't want to help the poor and homeless, they'd prefer not to have any association with them as if they do not exist, sub humans if you will.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:12 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Getting paid to donate blood works in the U.S.
Why not Peru?

Not true.

While being paid to donate blood is not illegal in the US, any blood that is paid for must be labelled as such, and in practice hospitals will not use such blood because they fear that it is more likely to be tainted: due to the profit motivation, someone might lie about their health. Can you imagine the lawsuit if a hospital used such paid-for blood and it turned out an HIV donor lied about their HIV status to be paid, and the recipient developed HIV because the donor's HIV level was too low to be picked up by the blood quality tests? No hospital is going to risk that.

So in fact, getting paid to donate blood does NOT work in the US because it does not, as a rule, happen (as always it must be conceded that some rare exception could occur at some point, so I can't say with certainty that it never ever happens, but it is exceedingly rare if it does).

Donating plasma (which comes from blood), however, *is* something that people can, and are, compensated for. In this case the blood is drawn, the plasma is removed from the blood, and then the blood sans plasma is put back into the donor. The plasma is then processed further in such a way that there is no danger of disease being transferred to recipients, which is why it is considered acceptable for plasma donors to be compensated. Even if someone has HIV or whatever, it won't matter, so there is no need to remove any incentive to lie.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register