Decent Internet in Lima near La Molina?

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
MeGustaPeru

Decent Internet in Lima near La Molina?

Postby MeGustaPeru » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:28 pm

Hello everyone, I am preparing to move to Lima with my wife and I work over the Internet. I need 40mbps and 10mbps upstream. I can work with 20mbps and 5mbps, but I would prefer to have a higher speed so I can work when the network is under heavy usage and whatnot.

We have contacted a lot of different companies in Lima, even Fiber Optics, but we can't find anyone that will give us such speeds. I'm looking into a portable hotspot as a result but I have no idea how reliable that will be.

How do you get decent Internet in Lima when you don't live in Mira Flores or San Isidro?

mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Decent Internet in Lima near La Molina?

Postby mrsteak » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:45 pm

Even if you find a provider, keep in mind that the law in Peru only requires the provider to deliver you a minimum of 10% of the contract rate. You will find these clause on all contracts for Internet line in Lima. So they sell you e.g. a 4mbps line and guarantee only 400kbit/s. Really.... The velocity frequently goes down, that is what I observe on my ADSL line. Usually early morning and late afternoon expect the velocity to heavily go down. Watching e.g. youtube is a mess on a nominally 8mbit line. It will hang 50% of the time.
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:54 pm

If you are in La Molina you will have no problem with getting the best internet service you can find in Peru.

Unfortunately as stated in the last comment the providers only have to provide you with 10% of the amount stated in your contract. It's just going to be a fact of life that even the best internet service in Peru will cut out regularly and you'll be left twiddling your thumbs for an afternoon. It usually happens on the weekend when everyone is off work i noticed while i was in La Molina. You can ring the company office and complain but don't except too much results.

It's just going to be one of those things that you have to learn to accept.
MeGustaPeru

Postby MeGustaPeru » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:52 pm

I work early in the morning, 3:00am-8:00am, do outages occur often during those times during the weekdays?

I'm planning to have backups available and I'm really wanting to get a portable hotspot to try and avoid the outages I hear involving the cable providers. I looked into fiber but the only one willing to go to our location wanted $1,000USD/mo just for entry-level speeds. So frustrating!

My employer may fire me if my internet is unreliable too, so that is another fear I have. I need a reliable connection at least for my working hours.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:58 pm

MeGustaPeru wrote:My employer may fire me if my internet is unreliable too, so that is another fear I have. I need a reliable connection at least for my working hours.

Then you are for sure in the wrong country. In Peru Internet shortages are the least concern. If you are unlucky you will not have electricity for days or even weeks, as well as you may have not any tap water. If the heavy rains repeat like 2017 Lima may even become uninhabitable place for ever.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:47 pm

mrsteak wrote:
MeGustaPeru wrote:My employer may fire me if my internet is unreliable too, so that is another fear I have. I need a reliable connection at least for my working hours.

Then you are for sure in the wrong country. In Peru Internet shortages are the least concern. If you are unlucky you will not have electricity for days or even weeks, as well as you may have not any tap water. If the heavy rains repeat like 2017 Lima may even become uninhabitable place for ever.

Oh come on now, mrsteak, you are getting ridiculous now. I've had just as many outages here as I had in the US. It isn't nearly as bad as you suggest.

Now dealing with Movistar in the first place to get service is the nightmare. And if you need a public IP address for cameras or a file server, good luck. There have been times where I could have easily waited over a week to get service changes made properly if I didn't have President level contact at Movistar. If you don't have such a contact then, I dunno... maybe make a deal with whatever tech that comes to your house for special service. Money talks...

I've got 100mbps speed at home, and 120mbps speed at my beach house. Both are connected to each other via VPN, as well as having a VPN to the US when I desire, and I have public IP address for both.

Just as in the US, you need a backup option for those times when the internet access does go out. I have Entel for my phone as I get 6GB data, plus my kids can watch unlimited Youtube at no additional cost when we're out and about. On the rare occasions I've had to use my phone for backup it has worked flawlessly.
MeGustaPeru

Postby MeGustaPeru » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:21 pm

mrsteak wrote:

My wife is Peruvian and wants us to move back home, so it's not really a matter of being an option.

gringolandia wrote:[
Oh come on now, mrsteak, you are getting ridiculous now. I've had just as many outages here as I had in the US. It isn't nearly as bad as you suggest.

Now dealing with Movistar in the first place to get service is the nightmare. And if you need a public IP address for cameras or a file server, good luck. There have been times where I could have easily waited over a week to get service changes made properly if I didn't have President level contact at Movistar. If you don't have such a contact then, I dunno... maybe make a deal with whatever tech that comes to your house for special service. Money talks...

I've got 100mbps speed at home, and 120mbps speed at my beach house. Both are connected to each other via VPN, as well as having a VPN to the US when I desire, and I have public IP address for both.

Just as in the US, you need a backup option for those times when the internet access does go out. I have Entel for my phone as I get 6GB data, plus my kids can watch unlimited Youtube at no additional cost when we're out and about. On the rare occasions I've had to use my phone for backup it has worked flawlessly.

I have an LTE phone that has worked great as a backup for my work. Are the LTE networks just as strong there?

I have been considering a mobile hotspot since I have heard so many bad things about Movistar and the other cable providers down there, much like here in the US. I only work ~3-4 hours a day so I don't need internet all day. How much data do I use though? No idea.

As far as cable options, I was thinking of getting the 200mbps plan from Movistar at a location near by wife's family's place. Anyone know of fiber optic connections that are less than $1,000USD/mo in Lima?
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:59 pm

MeGustaPeru wrote:My wife is Peruvian and wants us to move back home, so it's not really a matter of being an option.

well if I may make a comment about it: as long as your wife runs your life, do not complain about things... :mrgreen:
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:04 pm

MeGustaPeru wrote:As far as cable options, I was thinking of getting the 200mbps plan from Movistar at a location near by wife's family's place. Anyone know of fiber optic connections that are less than $1,000USD/mo in Lima?

Hmm may I make another comment: 200mbps is probably the speed of the gross backbone connection Peru has to the global Internet at all. So you are living in a phantasy world dreaming about a 200mbps residential connection :mrgreen: They may give you that speed on paper but once you want to reach anything outside lima data centers your connection will be ridiculously slow.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:07 am

mrsteak wrote:
MeGustaPeru wrote:As far as cable options, I was thinking of getting the 200mbps plan from Movistar at a location near by wife's family's place. Anyone know of fiber optic connections that are less than $1,000USD/mo in Lima?

Hmm may I make another comment: 200mbps is probably the speed of the gross backbone connection Peru has to the global Internet at all. So you are living in a phantasy world dreaming about a 200mbps residential connection :mrgreen: They may give you that speed on paper but once you want to reach anything outside lima data centers your connection will be ridiculously slow.

You're quite talented at being wrong. I get that you're exaggerating as a joke, but the basic message your post is that the international connectivity is insufficient. Well, I just ran a test over my VPN to the US and here's the result:

Result

(I can't get this image to show up for some reason: here's the link to the image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nrxz7a3idrix68w/Peru-US%20Speed%20Test.JPG?dl=0 )

If that doesn't display for you, it says 89.72 Mbps download speed and 10.00 Mbps upload speed. That's pretty damn good.
Last edited by gringolandia on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:25 am

gringolandia wrote:If that doesn't display for you, it says 89.72 Mbps download speed and 10.00 Mbps upload speed. That's pretty damn good.

But that is not what you are paying for is it, according to a previous post of yours.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:36 am

69roadrunner wrote:
gringolandia wrote:If that doesn't display for you, it says 89.72 Mbps download speed and 10.00 Mbps upload speed. That's pretty damn good.

But that is not what you are paying for is it, according to a previous post of yours.

I'm not sure if you understand. This is a speed test all the way to the US from Peru. To expect 100% speed over an international connection would be highly optimistic even from the US (using a consumer connection). This result is really quite good for mid-weekday and exceeds my expectations. I have even had faster results closer to 100% in the middle of the night when overall internet usage is low.

If I do a local speed test I do get very close to the full 120 Mbps download speed, and about the same 10 Mbps upload speed (asymmetric upload speed is normal for consumer internet connections like this... if you want symmetric speed, more common with business connections, expect to pay through the nose).
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:46 am

MeGustaPeru wrote:I have an LTE phone that has worked great as a backup for my work. Are the LTE networks just as strong there?

I have been considering a mobile hotspot since I have heard so many bad things about Movistar and the other cable providers down there, much like here in the US. I only work ~3-4 hours a day so I don't need internet all day. How much data do I use though? No idea.

I have not had any problems with Entel. I did have a problem with Movistar this year where they had some severe outage that resulted in my having no internet on my phone for about a week. They still had my account info in their accounting system, but it had been lost on their phone system computers. This was a major outage that affected a lot of people. Some people had it fixed automatically, some had to call, and others (like me) finally gave up and just switched to Entel.

Please note, however, that if you plan to use your mobile as your internet backup you MUST make sure that you have good mobile connectivity at your work location. The steel & cement construction in Peru is not friendly to radio signals and if the only cell tower is on the far side of your home you may have issues. At my previous home in Lima there was only one corner of one room that I could get a good cell signal, but at my new place I have great coverage in every room (it can't hurt that a cell tower is less than 100m from my home).

Do you really need 200 Mbps download speed..? You doing video editing or something? And what sort of upload speed do you need? Remember that upload speed can often be just around 10% of the download speed for consumer internet.

I have no knowledge of the commercial internet offerings in Peru if you need symmetric connectivity. Good luck with that.
Last edited by gringolandia on Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:22 pm

gringolandia wrote:
69roadrunner wrote:

I'm not sure if you understand. This is a speed test all the way to the US from Peru. To expect 100% speed over an international connection would be highly optimistic even from the US (using a consumer connection). This result is really quite good for mid-weekday and exceeds my expectations. I have even had faster results closer to 100% in the middle of the night when overall internet usage is low.

If I do a local speed test I do get very close to the full 120 Mbps download speed, and about the same 10 Mbps upload speed (asymmetric upload speed is normal for consumer internet connections like this... if you want symmetric speed, more common with business connections, expect to pay through the nose).

LOL. Traveling at the speed of light, I don't think the distance matters. By the way I get monthly internet outages.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:09 pm

69roadrunner wrote:LOL. Traveling at the speed of light, I don't think the distance matters. By the way I get monthly internet outages.

The signal only travels at the speed of light between routers. At each router the packet is reviewed and forwarded to the appropriate next route. This takes time.

But really that mostly impacts the "ping" time.

What impacts the overall throughput more is that only some of the routers are owned by Movistar. Ultimately the packets get transferred to other internet providers, such as Level 3, which operates internet cable across the world. Ultimately the packets may move to some other ISP like Comcast or AWS, until it reaches its destination.

Each of these connections between companies is called a peering point, and they are governed by various agreements and physical bandwidth limitations.

Which is all to say that yes, distance very very very much matters.

As far as internet outages, I received monthly outages in the US, too. Usually lasting just 10 minutes while the ISP rebooted a DNS server or something (I know this because if I switched to my personal DNS server the connection was fine). Other times some moron neglected to call JULIE (the dig coordination center for Illinois) and they dug up an internet cable, causing an outage for several hours.

Same as I have here.. maybe once a month I lose internet connectivity for a short while. Maybe once every six months I lose it for an hour or so. That honestly happens less here for me than it did in the US.

Of course I live in a nice area and maybe cheaper areas have worse internet. From many of the posts on this board I get the idea that a lot of the forum members live virtually destitute lives here so their experiences may be different. But my experience is that the internet here is actually pretty reliable.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:55 pm

I have had internet in the US since Compuserve, I can not remember an outage. Would you consider Mira Flores a nicer area? Well outages monthly sometimes more often lasting hours.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:16 pm

gringolandia wrote:
69roadrunner wrote:

Dropbox has a proxy / shadow in Bogota, you quite sure downloaded from Bogota, even if the IP seems to be US one.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:18 pm

gringolandia wrote:
69roadrunner wrote:LOL. Traveling at the speed of light, I don't think the distance matters. By the way I get monthly internet outages.

The signal only travels at the speed of light between routers. At each router the packet is reviewed and forwarded to the appropriate next route. This takes time.

What impacts the overall throughput more is that only some of the routers are owned by Movistar. Ultimately the packets get transferred to other internet providers, such as Level 3, which operates internet cable across the world. Ultimately the packets may move to some other ISP like Comcast or AWS, until it reaches its destination.

apparently you have no grade in computer science otherwise you would know that there is a TCP bandwidth formula, where RTT is a limiting factor....
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:23 pm

69roadrunner wrote:I have had internet in the US since Compuserve, I can not remember an outage. Would you consider Mira Flores a nicer area? Well outages monthly sometimes more often lasting hours.

Correct. I live and work in Miraflores. While it is rare to have a power outage ( I can´t remember the last one) but the internet does go out once or twice a month (I have Movistar), sometimes for a couple hours.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:47 pm

mrsteak wrote:
gringolandia wrote:
69roadrunner wrote:

Dropbox has a proxy / shadow in Bogota, you quite sure downloaded from Bogota, even if the IP seems to be US one.

I'm a computer professional who does this for a living, and that was over my personal VPN to my personal server in a data center in Atlanta. Yes, I'm damn well sure it is a valid test of internet speed between Peru and the US.

WTF are you even talking about Dropbox for anyway? That's just where I dropped the bloody image so it could be displayed on this forum, even though the forum image display function didn't work for some reason.

Every single time you post you continue to make me think you are even less informed than I already think.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:51 pm

mrsteak wrote:
gringolandia wrote:

apparently you have no grade in computer science otherwise you would know that there is a TCP bandwidth formula, where RTT is a limiting factor....

You literally have no idea wtf you are talking about.

I've well versed in TCP and exactly how it works. With a sufficient queue RTT impact is negligible once the stream is flowing. It simply isn't a factor here, whereas what I described is.

And why are you even talking about TCP??? For websites that is relevant, but for anyone working remotely they are almost certainly using a VPN, and VPN traffic usually uses UDP instead. Ugh, you know nothing Jon Snow.

[For the benefit of others I'll explain: TCP packets require that an acknowledgement be sent back so that the sender knows the data arrived correctly and it doesn't need to be resent. If TCP just sat there waiting for that acknowledgement then RTT (round-trip time) would be a factor. However it does not, it keeps sending other packets. There are packet queues maintained so that TCP can keep sending packets while waiting for acknowledgement regarding the packets it already sent. As long as the queue is large enough (and it is), TCP never has to just sit there waiting for an acknowledgement... it keeps sending constantly (more or less... it actually has logic to determine when it is overloading the bandwidth and needs to slow down a bit). Thus RTT is not a factor.]
Last edited by gringolandia on Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:57 pm

69roadrunner wrote:I have had internet in the US since Compuserve, I can not remember an outage. Would you consider Mira Flores a nicer area? Well outages monthly sometimes more often lasting hours.

I cannot contest what you claim to remember, but personally I'm going to assume this is just a sign of a bad memory as the idea that you've had some sort of 5 9's internet connectivity is unfathomable.

Good for you if it is somehow true, though.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:08 pm

Alan wrote:

Correct. I live and work in Miraflores. While it is rare to have a power outage ( I can´t remember the last one) but the internet does go out once or twice a month (I have Movistar), sometimes for a couple hours.

This could actually be relevant to the OP. I live in Chacarilla (and sometimes at my beach house down towards Asia) and work every weekday almost all day and very rarely have outages that last long, so if you're having more multi-hour outages in Miraflores it could be that reliability varies from area to area in Lima. Perhaps La Molina has its own distinct level of reliability.

I only had to resort to using my phone for backup internet once in 2017. In 2016 I probably had to use it about four times. Your mileage may very. Most of my problems with Movistar were when I'd lose my public IP and my cameras would stop being remotely accessible, and it would take several days to get my public IP back (I think I calculated that Peru only has about 6 million public IPs allocated, so that's only 1 public IP for every five people... and I've snatched up two).
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:08 pm

A quick recap since this thread is being pushed off the rails:

There seems to be general agreement that there are can be multiple short internet outages over the period of a month in Lima. Also there is general agreement that longer outages of an hour or more can happen, for some people once every month or two, for others perhaps more, and for others less.

There is disagreement as to how this compares to the US, with one person claiming that he has perfect connectivity in the US and myself claiming that my experience of reliability in the US (Chicago) pretty much mirrored my experience here (this could be seen as an indictment of Comcast reliability in Chicago more than anything else).

I don't think anyone has made a coherent argument against my demonstration that the bandwidth throughput speed between the US and Peru being surprisingly good (I should note, however, that this was not always the case, and I've noticed a distinct improvement over the past few years).

I also don't think anyone opposed the notion that LTE generally works pretty well here, though of course if you want to use it as your backup you need to make sure you actually have good cell connectivity at your work location (depends on how close the tower is and how many walls of steel & cement the signal has to go through).

And finally there appears to be the possibility that the reliability varies from region to region of Lima.

For the most part the discussion has centered around Movistar in particular. Experience with other ISPs may be very different. I think we can all agree that dealing with Movistar in any capacity is always a pain in the ass (but it is, last I checked, BY FAR the cheapest option for speeds over 40 Mbps).

There. That about sums it up.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:02 pm

It is futile to expect fast Internet in a 5th world country - it is as simple as this. It does not mean no high speed Internet is available in all Peru, but 95% of the country does have snail type Internet. Maybe you get in in Miraflores etc but what if you have to travel? Down to 384 kbps?
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:06 pm

mrsteak wrote:It is futile to expect fast Internet in a 5th world country - it is as simple as this. It does not mean no high speed Internet is available in all Peru, but 95% of the country does have snail type Internet. Maybe you get in in Miraflores etc but what if you have to travel? Down to 384 kbps?

The next time someone asks if they'll be able to telecommute from rural Peru you'll be the one to set them straight.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:16 pm

gringolandia wrote:
mrsteak wrote:It is futile to expect fast Internet in a 5th world country - it is as simple as this. It does not mean no high speed Internet is available in all Peru, but 95% of the country does have snail type Internet. Maybe you get in in Miraflores etc but what if you have to travel? Down to 384 kbps?

The next time someone asks if they'll be able to telecommute from rural Peru you'll be the one to set them straight.

Hm, let me guess how Internet in rural Peru works... you really mean rural? They maybe print IP packets on paper and transport the paper package on the back of a donkey over the Andes to the next real Internet hub, where 100 skilled girls from the selva type them back into their keyboards?
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:31 pm

MeGustaPeru wrote:Hello everyone, I am preparing to move to Lima with my wife and I work over the Internet. I need 40mbps and 10mbps upstream. I can work with 20mbps and 5mbps, but I would prefer to have a higher speed so I can work when the network is under heavy usage and whatnot.

We have contacted a lot of different companies in Lima, even Fiber Optics, but we can't find anyone that will give us such speeds. I'm looking into a portable hotspot as a result but I have no idea how reliable that will be.

How do you get decent Internet in Lima when you don't live in Mira Flores or San Isidro?

This thread went a bit sideways (since one person who has had a bad experience here apparently thinks everyone else should too) so I re-read your original post and figured I'd respond more directly to it.

As indicated in the speed test I posted, I am able to get 80 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload to/from the US using my 120 Mbps Movistar connection in the middle of the day on a weekday, so that may be sufficient for your needs.

With regard to backup options, we already discussed using your phone's LTE as an option, but another idea might be to just get a second hard line internet with another company, perhaps Claro. The last I checked, Claro highspeed internet is a LOT more expensive than Movistar (like three times more expensive). Maybe that has changed recently... you'll have to check out the current prices. But even so, Claro's 20 Mbps offerings are not that much different in price than Movistar, so you could get 20 Mbps Claro as a backup without paying a whole lot extra (definitely get at least 20 Mbps, though, because if you get a lower speed they may stick you with awful ADSL instead).

If high reliability is important to you, that could be the best way to go. The Claro upload speed would probably be closer to 2 Mbps, but in a pinch if the Movistar goes down, that could get you by.

If you do this, be VERY CLEAR that you are going to have two services at the same time when the second installer arrives, because otherwise the standard operating procedure here is to pull out the competitor's cables and put in their own.
adrian Thorne
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby adrian Thorne » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:30 pm

Two post have been deleted due to off topic comments. Can we please stay on topic.
MeGustaPeru

Postby MeGustaPeru » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:23 pm

Wow, lots of conversation going on in here!

MrSteak, she doesn't run my life, but she is close to her family and I have cold-hearted Americans for relatives so I don't care about moving away. There are other things going on as well, but it's not just as simple as her wanting to go back.

As for the Internet discussion, I am well aware that they only have to guarantee 40% of the bandwidth they give you. Guess what, Comshit(Comcast) does the same where I am at over here. I can do fine with 40-80mbps with an 8-10mbps+ upstream, that's what I get here depending on the day.

As for outages, I have outages two to four times a month where I am at here, so an outage for a few hours once a month is not out of the norm for me. Last week I had nine outages, three lasting for 4+ hours due to cold weather and supposed "service maintenance" being done by Comshit. That's not normal for me, but this is what I deal with here in the US.

So would a 200mbps plan from Movistar get me 40-80mbps with ~95% uptime?
MeGustaPeru

Postby MeGustaPeru » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:30 pm

gringolandia wrote:
MeGustaPeru wrote:Hello everyone, I am preparing to move to Lima with my wife and I work over the Internet. I need 40mbps and 10mbps upstream. I can work with 20mbps and 5mbps, but I would prefer to have a higher speed so I can work when the network is under heavy usage and whatnot.

This thread went a bit sideways (since one person who has had a bad experience here apparently thinks everyone else should too) so I re-read your original post and figured I'd respond more directly to it.

As indicated in the speed test I posted, I am able to get 80 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload to/from the US using my 120 Mbps Movistar connection in the middle of the day on a weekday, so that may be sufficient for your needs.

With regard to backup options, we already discussed using your phone's LTE as an option, but another idea might be to just get a second hard line internet with another company, perhaps Claro. The last I checked, Claro highspeed internet is a LOT more expensive than Movistar (like three times more expensive). Maybe that has changed recently... you'll have to check out the current prices. But even so, Claro's 20 Mbps offerings are not that much different in price than Movistar, so you could get 20 Mbps Claro as a backup without paying a whole lot extra (definitely get at least 20 Mbps, though, because if you get a lower speed they may stick you with awful ADSL instead).

If high reliability is important to you, that could be the best way to go. The Claro upload speed would probably be closer to 2 Mbps, but in a pinch if the Movistar goes down, that could get you by.

If you do this, be VERY CLEAR that you are going to have two services at the same time when the second installer arrives, because otherwise the standard operating procedure here is to pull out the competitor's cables and put in their own.

Yes, 2mbps upstream is the minimum my work requires. I had to tether with my LTE phone last week a few times due to Comshit(Comcast) fumbling over themselves quite a bit.

That's great news that you 120mbps plan provides such speeds, for me, the 200mbps is just for safety. I can get by with 10/2 for down and up, but I prefer to go overkill for speed since I've never worked with such low speeds before. The LTE did fine, but I have no idea how reliable LTE is down there or even the down/up streams. Speaking of which, I need to test that now...!

Thank you for your input, gringolandia! I really appreciate hearing from someone with experience working remotely down there. If I didn't have to have a live video feed (yes, my company monitors us with a live feed and special software that records our computer screens as well) it would be so much easier. It's tempting to tape over my webcam, but they would get pretty mad about that. :p
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:45 pm

MeGustaPeru wrote:Wow, lots of conversation going on in here!
MrSteak, she doesn't run my life, but she is close to her family and I have cold-hearted Americans for relatives so I don't care about moving away. There are other things going on as well, but it's not just as simple as her wanting to go back.

hmmm let me guess... you owe to IRS :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just keep in mind it will always be South America! Last time we moved, Movistar left us without service for 3 weeks. I had to bribe them to ever reconnect the line. I'm not sure that you are really aware about what type of country/place you are moving into... It will not change, not in your life at least. Even with promises like 200 mbps what will you do if you have a problem and they just do not care?!

The place I had reliable Internet was Uruguay. There is even a law that says that telcos have to connect your line in 48hrs after the contract has been made, otherwise the company pays a huge fine. I was surprised with the service. Bandwidth could be better though - all latin america suffers from insufficient backbone capacity. Do not expect it to get better any soon. You can google for the fiber sea cabling in SA, it has very low capacity compared to what we are used to in Europe or US.

Btw my wife is the same: family, family, family... foooood. But I do not give a sh***. I tell her everyday that her country is total crap and we have to move out. After she has been to several places she already sees my point. :P I had before a relation with a brasilian girl and it was also the same :roll: they have just weird ideas floating in their heads, weird ideas about life, business and so on. Always telling you "in my country all will be easier". Just forget it. Get a serious life, serious job and a serious place to life. Buy serious real estate in a serious country (it does not need to be EU or US, just find a *serious* place). And never forget: if you come from a western country, you should be the one who tells your SA wife how the life should be, what are the objectives, what is the way to go. Not the other way around.
gringolandia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gringolandia » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:37 am

I think I'd go crazy if I was being monitored all the time..! Thankfully my client is happy as long as I'm getting my work done, and they don't care too much what time of day I do it (I prefer to work at night).

If you want to talk more about this specifically, or other things generally, please feel free to PM me. I'm getting a bit weary of posting on the forum with an antagonist like Mrsteak on the loose. I've already blocked him but that doesn't stop him from spreading his hate and disinformation to others, so my enthusiasm to participate here is on the wane.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:39 pm

Again I have sh**** Internet here in Surco. A 8mbps line delivers me since ~1 hour only around 1 mbps... this is really typical for this country!

Code: Select all

Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps):   599
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps):   1235 <---- getting only around 1/8th of the contract!!! only downlink is jammed.
LAN IPv4 Address:    192.168.0.1
Default Gateway:    ppp0
Primary DNS Server:    200.48.225.130
Secondary DNS Server:    200.48.225.146

ping 200.48.225.130
PING 200.48.225.130 (200.48.225.130): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 200.48.225.130: seq=0 ttl=246 time=3204.434 ms
64 bytes from 200.48.225.130: seq=1 ttl=246 time=3454.604 ms
64 bytes from 200.48.225.130: seq=2 ttl=246 time=3797.982 ms
64 bytes from 200.48.225.130: seq=3 ttl=246 time=3924.667 ms

traceroute to 200.48.225.130 (200.48.225.130), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
 1  wangw (192.168.0.1)  2.928 ms  2.989 ms  2.762 ms
 2  *  *  *
 3  10.111.111.161 (10.111.111.161)  74.700 ms  56.342 ms  33.963 ms
 4  10.111.1.25 (10.111.1.25)  47.781 ms  30.902 ms  29.168 ms
 5  *  *  *
 6  10.111.3.206 (10.111.3.206)  26.545 ms  10.111.3.30 (10.111.3.30)  26.892 ms  27.584 ms
 7  10.111.0.10 (10.111.0.10)  30.914 ms  28.024 ms  31.205 ms
 8  10.118.255.130 (10.118.255.130)  27.226 ms  27.879 ms  26.979 ms
 9  10.115.4.131 (10.115.4.131)  26.221 ms  26.159 ms  26.978 ms
10  *  *  *
11  *  *  *
12  *  *  *
13  *  *  *
14  *  *  *
15  *  *  *
16  *  *  *

<=== movistar network congested! Not even their own DNS reachable! FAIL!!!!

Now don't say I could have contracted 16mbps LOL... then it would be only half so shitty... but still shitty! Nothing is so annoying than not working Internet / getting only 1/8th fraction of your contract. :evil: :evil: :evil:

In a developed country a 8mbps line is maybe not the fastest but it will feel fast enough for the normal Internet usage, believe me. I was perfectly happy with even nominally slower lines in the EU. But what they deliver here in Peru to their customers is really a rip off / estafa.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register