Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby mrsteak » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:23 am

SilverbackPeru wrote:The threads gone off topic and I guess I could be part of that but to the OP you should check out urbania.pe. It's a housing webpage for Peru. Aquiler means rent.
Just have a flick through and this will help you get an idea of rental prices.


yeah and he will find there what was already quoted here... shared room in more or less livable parts of Lima for 250-350 USD or a small apartment for maybe $700. Do not forget that many of the offers also mention "mantenimiento" etc, so your fees may go even as high as $700 + $100-$150 more for the extras (cleaning, security, elevator, maybe a small gym all this will sum up in the mantenimiento).

What is missing in this forum are the jobs offers with wages :? while he can easily see the rental prices he will have no idea what the wages really are in Lima.


User avatar
DutchPat
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:47 am

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby DutchPat » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:43 am

mrsteak wrote:
windsportinperu wrote:Rents seen to be expensive in Lima. If you have the opportunity to live in the house of the parents of your girlfriend, do not take it as bad. Here in Peru it is very common.


unless he has bad luck and his GF is from SJL or La Victoria....

I'm not very informed about the state and safety of all the different districts in Lima. But she told me she lives near metro station Villa Maria.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby mrsteak » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:53 am

DutchPat wrote:unless he has bad luck and his GF is from SJL or La Victoria....
I'm not very informed about the state and safety of all the different districts in Lima. But she told me she lives near metro station Villa Maria.


then you have bad luck... this is one of the lowest social class districts of Lima. Just look with google street view if you feel comfortable there.
Last edited by mrsteak on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2848
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby Alan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:49 am

An important consideration when thinking about work, or setting up your business, is whethere you spouse/partner and her family are willing and able to help you get established.

Hypothetical situation: your wife's family is involved in clothing confection, or furniture manufacture.. maybe it would be a match made in heaven to have a multi-lingual, global in-law who could help grow the business by opening up foreign markets. Or, maybe her brother works at a decent private school in the zone and can get you in as a key teacher in their language program. Or.. on the flip side... all the in-laws are unemployed, and will be a burden on your wife, and eventually you. Thing this through very carefully and ask your girlfriend her thoughts.

So.. can you make a living here? Probably, but the first few years will be tough... but if you are smart and hard working, and your spouse is a help and not a hindrance, you will do well. As well as in Europe? Hard to say.. it's comparing apples and oranges, and it depends on your personality and what you value.. what you enjoy...and what you can put up with, and how much you enjoy a challenge and adventure.

As you can see from the varied responses here, some love it, some hate it.

Btw.. San Juan de MIraflores and Villa Maria de Triumfo are not all poor. They are also home to families who have lived there for 30 or 40 years, building onto their homes and investing in their childrens' education. Just because someone doesn't live in a home that is beautiful from the outside, it doesn't mean they don't have money. In the emerging areas of Lima, it is not uncommon for families with money to keep a low profile due to security concerns.
User avatar
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1277
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby windsportinperu » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:43 am

mrsteak wrote: Doing business in Peru is closer to feel like being in North Korea than in eg US or EU.


It is over-exaggeration again, no problem I do understand how your mind works

Some information about VMT :

The list of the 5 poorest districts in Lima are as follow: Villa el Salvador (VES), San Juan de Miraflores (SJM), San Juan de Lurigancho (SJL), Villa Maria del Triunfo (VMT) and Rimac.

Lima has 49 districts and coming from Rotterdam to live in the top poorest districts in Lima, is going to be one of toughest challenges for you. Maybe some weeks and months as an adventure, but once the adventures ends, it won’t be pleasant
User avatar
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 748
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:36 am

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:47 am

Alan has made some great points there which are worth paying attention to. The problem with forums is a user will usually give you advice which is based on their experiences, some can be overly negative, others overly positive. I tend to be a bit negative when giving people advice because I think it is better to be realistic to the problems you can face in Peru than rather setting up a rosie picture which sets a person up for the crash of reality.

Again Alan gave good advice on the districts that your girl is from, you will be shocked at the neighbourhood when you see it but it doesn't mean that someone from that area is poor. The area is the furniture manufacturing part of Lima and the family could be very comfortable cash wise, as Alan said if you have money in those areas you don't flaunt it! I've tagged along for a business meeting with my in-laws and a person from the area and the guy was loaded. But it could go the opposite way as well when the family becomes a burden on you.

Having a bachelors degree is going to open up a lot of opportunities for you in Lima but again it depends how much you get paid but you can easily switch to a better job when the opportunity arises. I would however try and do the following.......

Learn Spanish asap and have money for an intensive course on arrival. Courses can last between four to eight weeks. Download Duolingo onto your phone which is a language app. It has writing, listening and speaking exercises. This will help you get a reasonable grip on the basics and then you can polish up your grammar with the school lessons

I would just rent a room for when you get here, it's going to save you a lot more money and once you have a decent income then you can look into getting an apartment. Renting a room will also enable you to stay in the better part of Lima like Miraflores, San Isidro or Barranco, which you can use as a base and then explore the rest of the city.

Location, well I would always say to base yourself in Miraflores or San Isidro as it is the best part of the city but it's not always affordable to live in as they are expensive. Barranco is rich in culture and history and will be cheaper to live in. It'll be a great place for a young couple to stay with all it's cafes and bars. It will also be easier for your girlfriend to go and visit her family as it's a short travel.
If you want to look at somewhere outside of those main three central places I always thought you would just look at the location between the highways JAvier Prado and Avenida Angamos Este. These are two highways that run eastwards towards the mountains and La Molina. The areas of San Boja and Surco will be a lot cheaper and the highways will have public transport that will lead you into the commerical hubs of Miraflores and San Isidro for work. Also the El Derby area is really booming in office developement. This makes it a great location for easy commutes in either direction.

Other areas like Magdelana, Jesus Maria, Pueblo Libre have cheap and well developed areas as well but you have to be careful in some of those parts as it can get very sketchy! Even in Parts of Barranco you have to be careful. Those places are cheaper but they can be real eye sores for most of it, poorly made buildings and trash etc. Some people don't get effected by things like that, I find it really drags me down however, it's like a concrete version of Seasonal Affective Disorder!

I would get a English Teaching Certificate just to be on the safe side. It's easy to find work teaching English (just look at the job advertisements on any of the expat pages), you will have to work long hours but you'll make enough money to get by.

You could always save up some money and start your own business is another option and probably the best way of making money. Import/export is a good idea, maybe open a cafe or a bar. You're intelligent you can easily make that succeed. I would have lots of savings for back up just in case things go pear shaped! You should also have an extended holiday in Lima just for a taster to see how you are going to plan things.

Helpful sites for checking out jobs and housing prices.......
First is this site Expatperu.com which has rental property and a job forum.
Living in Peru is a good one for property and jobs
Urbania.pe for property. This will really help you get an idea of prices for renting.
Also look on facebook for expat groups.
User avatar
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1277
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby windsportinperu » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:52 am

gerard wrote: ... my office in the UK has far more issues with the Internet service than I do. My download speed is actually double what my office gets in the UK, and it took them months to get anything better than 20Mbps even though they are based in a major UK city.


If the OP wants to live like a tourist for a few months then sure, look at Miraflores and Barranco and pay for the experience. But Lima is so much more than that. If he (or she) is really thinking to come here to be with a girl then talk to her about what is available close to where she lives and live like the other 90% of Lima, who seem to manage perfectly well despite not living in the trendiest parts of the city. I'm sure Rotterdam isn't all picture postcard houses, and like all cities has good parts and bad parts.


Great information Gerard . It helps to demystify that the internet connection in Lima is crappy

I agree with your last statement
User avatar
DutchPat
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:47 am

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby DutchPat » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:23 pm

mrsteak wrote:
DutchPat wrote:unless he has bad luck and his GF is from SJL or La Victoria....
I'm not very informed about the state and safety of all the different districts in Lima. But she told me she lives near metro station Villa Maria.


then you have bad luck... this is one of the lowest social class districts of Lima. Just look with google street view if you feel comfortable there.

I see, in comparison to Miraflores it is quite a difference. But i think we must not forget this is not Europe and that there are parts of the city which have not been developed so much as the more wealthier parts. This would be indeed not something i'd want to spend my days if i come over.

She lives apparently in one of the lowest social class districts but she completed her education at CPU, international business and management. My first thought because she was traveling Europe and even finished an university that she is part of a newer generation with bright future chances. Would finishing the university in Lima be considered something above average in Peru?
User avatar
DutchPat
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:47 am

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby DutchPat » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:32 pm

SilverbackPeru wrote:Alan has made some great points there which are worth paying attention to. The problem with forums is a user will usually give you advice which is based on their experiences, some can be overly negative, others overly positive. I tend to be a bit negative when giving people advice because I think it is better to be realistic to the problems you can face in Peru than rather setting up a rosie picture which sets a person up for the crash of reality.

Again Alan gave good advice on the districts that your girl is from, you will be shocked at the neighbourhood when you see it but it doesn't mean that someone from that area is poor. The area is the furniture manufacturing part of Lima and the family could be very comfortable cash wise, as Alan said if you have money in those areas you don't flaunt it! I've tagged along for a business meeting with my in-laws and a person from the area and the guy was loaded. But it could go the opposite way as well when the family becomes a burden on you.

Having a bachelors degree is going to open up a lot of opportunities for you in Lima but again it depends how much you get paid but you can easily switch to a better job when the opportunity arises. I would however try and do the following.......

Learn Spanish asap and have money for an intensive course on arrival. Courses can last between four to eight weeks. Download Duolingo onto your phone which is a language app. It has writing, listening and speaking exercises. This will help you get a reasonable grip on the basics and then you can polish up your grammar with the school lessons

I would just rent a room for when you get here, it's going to save you a lot more money and once you have a decent income then you can look into getting an apartment. Renting a room will also enable you to stay in the better part of Lima like Miraflores, San Isidro or Barranco, which you can use as a base and then explore the rest of the city.

Location, well I would always say to base yourself in Miraflores or San Isidro as it is the best part of the city but it's not always affordable to live in as they are expensive. Barranco is rich in culture and history and will be cheaper to live in. It'll be a great place for a young couple to stay with all it's cafes and bars. It will also be easier for your girlfriend to go and visit her family as it's a short travel.
If you want to look at somewhere outside of those main three central places I always thought you would just look at the location between the highways JAvier Prado and Avenida Angamos Este. These are two highways that run eastwards towards the mountains and La Molina. The areas of San Boja and Surco will be a lot cheaper and the highways will have public transport that will lead you into the commerical hubs of Miraflores and San Isidro for work. Also the El Derby area is really booming in office developement. This makes it a great location for easy commutes in either direction.

Other areas like Magdelana, Jesus Maria, Pueblo Libre have cheap and well developed areas as well but you have to be careful in some of those parts as it can get very sketchy! Even in Parts of Barranco you have to be careful. Those places are cheaper but they can be real eye sores for most of it, poorly made buildings and trash etc. Some people don't get effected by things like that, I find it really drags me down however, it's like a concrete version of Seasonal Affective Disorder!

I would get a English Teaching Certificate just to be on the safe side. It's easy to find work teaching English (just look at the job advertisements on any of the expat pages), you will have to work long hours but you'll make enough money to get by.

You could always save up some money and start your own business is another option and probably the best way of making money. Import/export is a good idea, maybe open a cafe or a bar. You're intelligent you can easily make that succeed. I would have lots of savings for back up just in case things go pear shaped! You should also have an extended holiday in Lima just for a taster to see how you are going to plan things.

Helpful sites for checking out jobs and housing prices.......
First is this site Expatperu.com which has rental property and a job forum.
Living in Peru is a good one for property and jobs
Urbania.pe for property. This will really help you get an idea of prices for renting.
Also look on facebook for expat groups.


Thanks really helpful. Regarding the comment about starting a business, i do actually have some ideas which need some further research. The gf already stated that she would love to help me and because she has done a business study she would know a thing or two. I would obviously need her help for a better understanding of the market and translation. But the idea which i have in mind doesn't require a large investment from my side, but it would take some time before it earns enough for a steady monthly income.

To help you out of your curiosity, the idea involves in digital marketing and SEO. I do the technical part and gf does the Spanish text writing and selling.

First step in the process is to spend a month in Peru and see for myself if i want to pursue this dream. Maybe i get confronted with the harsh reality, but if i don't step out of my comfort zone i'll never know.
User avatar
DutchPat
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:47 am

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby DutchPat » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:37 pm

One more question about the safety, which has also been mentioned a few times in this topic. In what ways would a certain district be unsafe? I'm aware of the petty theft, even in Miraflores. But what if we go to a district which is unsafe, would there be like gang members walking around with machetes or something? (just exaggerating :wink:)
User avatar
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1277
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby windsportinperu » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:05 pm

DutchPat wrote: ... would there be like gang members walking around with machetes or something? (just exaggerating :wink:)


exaggerating is the norm in this thread, so Let's go for it :D

I think once you arrive to Lima, see by yourself the districts I mentioned before.

You partner in love, seem to come from a well-formed class-worker family . Her effort to get a better life is remarkable
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby mrsteak » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:50 pm

DutchPat wrote:She lives apparently in one of the lowest social class districts but she completed her education at CPU, international business and management. My first thought because she was traveling Europe and even finished an university that she is part of a newer generation with bright future chances. Would finishing the university in Lima be considered something above average in Peru?


I would not consider living in places like Villa Maria or San Juan not even if they pay me for that. My health is more valuable. You forget it is South America, it is not only poor but can bring you lot of diseases. Cockroaches, mosquitos etc are more concern in the poor districts of Lima.

You should also consider one more thing: a girl studying in a pay-for university but living in a district like San Juan, has to, or had to with 99% probability to work as, well how to say it without hurting your feelings... as dama de compania :mrgreen: This is the reality in Peru, anything else is a lie. If she tells you she lives in SJM and her parents pay for her university this is 99% a lie.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby mrsteak » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:57 pm

DutchPat wrote:One more question about the safety, which has also been mentioned a few times in this topic. In what ways would a certain district be unsafe? I'm aware of the petty theft, even in Miraflores. But what if we go to a district which is unsafe, would there be like gang members walking around with machetes or something? (just exaggerating :wink:)


With your gringo face you are always a target! Even if walking in Miraflores. I was punches into my backpack with a knife at 4pm in Miraflores just 2 squares from the police station. I had luck it did not go deep or I could be dead now (I know windsportingperu would not miss me anyway).
User avatar
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 748
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:36 am

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby SilverbackPeru » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:35 pm

DutchPat wrote:
mrsteak wrote:
DutchPat wrote:unless he has bad luck and his GF is from SJL or La Victoria....
I'm not very informed about the state and safety of all the different districts in Lima. But she told me she lives near metro station Villa Maria.


then you have bad luck... this is one of the lowest social class districts of Lima. Just look with google street view if you feel comfortable there.

I see, in comparison to Miraflores it is quite a difference. But i think we must not forget this is not Europe and that there are parts of the city which have not been developed so much as the more wealthier parts. This would be indeed not something i'd want to spend my days if i come over.

She lives apparently in one of the lowest social class districts but she completed her education at CPU, international business and management. My first thought because she was traveling Europe and even finished an university that she is part of a newer generation with bright future chances. Would finishing the university in Lima be considered something above average in Peru?


Depends on the University, there's some bad universities out there so a degree might not be worth the paper it's written on if its from one of those. But the economy has been strong over the last 10 years and there's a growing upward mobility in the classes so it does sound like she's part of that newer generation. I wouldn't let social background put you off a person.
User avatar
DutchPat
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:47 am

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby DutchPat » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:42 pm

mrsteak wrote:
DutchPat wrote:She lives apparently in one of the lowest social class districts but she completed her education at CPU, international business and management. My first thought because she was traveling Europe and even finished an university that she is part of a newer generation with bright future chances. Would finishing the university in Lima be considered something above average in Peru?


I would not consider living in places like Villa Maria or San Juan not even if they pay me for that. My health is more valuable. You forget it is South America, it is not only poor but can bring you lot of diseases. Cockroaches, mosquitos etc are more concern in the poor districts of Lima.

You should also consider one more thing: a girl studying in a pay-for university but living in a district like San Juan, has to, or had to with 99% probability to work as, well how to say it without hurting your feelings... as dama de compania :mrgreen: This is the reality in Peru, anything else is a lie. If she tells you she lives in SJM and her parents pay for her university this is 99% a lie.

I think it is kind of inappropriate to jump to conclusions like that based on the place she lives and the kind of university she has attended.
User avatar
DutchPat
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:47 am

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby DutchPat » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:44 pm

mrsteak wrote:
DutchPat wrote:One more question about the safety, which has also been mentioned a few times in this topic. In what ways would a certain district be unsafe? I'm aware of the petty theft, even in Miraflores. But what if we go to a district which is unsafe, would there be like gang members walking around with machetes or something? (just exaggerating :wink:)


With your gringo face you are always a target! Even if walking in Miraflores. I was punches into my backpack with a knife at 4pm in Miraflores just 2 squares from the police station. I had luck it did not go deep or I could be dead now (I know windsportingperu would not miss me anyway).

I'm not sure if i do have the typical gringo face though. I'm half indonesian/dutch, i think i look more asian than gringo :)
User avatar
gerard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:43 am
Location: Lima

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby gerard » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:40 pm

With your gringo face you are always a target! Even if walking in Miraflores. I was punches into my backpack with a knife at 4pm in Miraflores just 2 squares from the police station. I had luck it did not go deep or I could be dead now (I know windsportingperu would not miss me anyway).


Did you ever consider this was less to do with your gringo face and more to do with your propensity to repeatedly insult the entire country and its population?

I think your comments about the OP's girlfriend tell us everything we need to know about the kind of person you are.

I live in what is considered (mainly by people who have never even set foot in it) one of the less desirable districts and have 2 nieces currently putting themselves through Uni through sheer hard work. As someone lucky enough to attend Uni in the UK when the government still paid people a grant to go, it is incredibly humbling to see the efforts that a lot of young people from poorer backgrounds go to here to obtain an education and improve their lot.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby mrsteak » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:16 pm

gerard wrote:Did you ever consider this was less to do with your gringo face and more to do with your propensity to repeatedly insult the entire country and its population?


I have tattooed on my forehead "I hate Peru", of course :mrgreen: Well I even would, but then my company would fire me (not due to the writing but just due to the fact of having any tattoo on my forehead :mrgreen: )
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:06 pm

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:28 pm

DutchPat wrote:
mrsteak wrote:
DutchPat wrote:One more question about the safety, which has also been mentioned a few times in this topic. In what ways would a certain district be unsafe? I'm aware of the petty theft, even in Miraflores. But what if we go to a district which is unsafe, would there be like gang members walking around with machetes or something? (just exaggerating :wink:)


With your gringo face you are always a target! Even if walking in Miraflores. I was punches into my backpack with a knife at 4pm in Miraflores just 2 squares from the police station. I had luck it did not go deep or I could be dead now (I know windsportingperu would not miss me anyway).

I'm not sure if i do have the typical gringo face though. I'm half indonesian/dutch, i think i look more asian than gringo :)


Then you will be known as, "El Chino".
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby mrsteak » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:37 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
DutchPat wrote:I'm not sure if i do have the typical gringo face though. I'm half indonesian/dutch, i think i look more asian than gringo :)


Then you will be known as, "El Chino".


The problem is he WILL be known as something - and this is a problem by itself in Peru. Once people perceive you as non-local you are always a kind of target. The only way to avoid higher risk in Lima is to look as an average, poor, not worth to be robbed Peruvian.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby mrsteak » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:26 pm

DutchPat wrote:I'm curious what the possibilities there are for a 27 year old with a degree in commercial economics in Peru. Are there even possibilities or would you guys say i have a better chance at earning monthly income with teaching English?


Let me lay it down for you in a simpler way:

In Peru you must be able to repair your car engine's head gasket having only a screwdriver and you must be able to make the caesarean section on your future wife having only your kitchen knife, in case she is pregnant and you do not have the money for the hospital. Do you qualify? :D
User avatar
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2848
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby Alan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:02 am

mrsteak wrote:
You should also consider one more thing: a girl studying in a pay-for university but living in a district like San Juan, has to, or had to with 99% probability to work as, well how to say it without hurting your feelings... as dama de compania :mrgreen: This is the reality in Peru, anything else is a lie. If she tells you she lives in SJM and her parents pay for her university this is 99% a lie.


Wow.. racist, sexist, classist and wrong in one short paragraph.

Mr. Steak... do you know anyone from this district? Have you spent any time there? I do. Her parents (dad a carpenter, mother a lower level admin worker) paid for her primary, secondary and university education. She went on to pay for her own masters degree. Her sister and some of her friends can tell the same story.
User avatar
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2848
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby Alan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:07 am

mrsteak wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:The problem is he WILL be known as something - and this is a problem by itself in Peru. Once people perceive you as non-local you are always a kind of target. The only way to avoid higher risk in Lima is to look as an average, poor, not worth to be robbed Peruvian.


Another half-truth.

As a foreigner, you are sometimes targetted for crime and may be asked to pay the so-called gringo tax (the occassional taxi driver... in my experience 1 in 20... who jacks up the quoted price), but foreigners are also given opportunities because of their status as foreigners. Particularly in teaching and sales.
User avatar
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 748
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:36 am

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby SilverbackPeru » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:28 am

Alan wrote:
mrsteak wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:The problem is he WILL be known as something - and this is a problem by itself in Peru. Once people perceive you as non-local you are always a kind of target. The only way to avoid higher risk in Lima is to look as an average, poor, not worth to be robbed Peruvian.


Another half-truth.

As a foreigner, you are sometimes targetted for crime and may be asked to pay the so-called gringo tax (the occassional taxi driver... in my experience 1 in 20... who jacks up the quoted price), but foreigners are also given opportunities because of their status as foreigners. Particularly in teaching and sales.


The OP might do very well in Lima with his bachelors degree because you do get given those teaching and sales opportunities as Alan said. He could start off with something that pays enough for him to scrap by but could easily change jobs the longer he is in Lima and the better his Spanish becomes.

The target theory I would say has a bit of truth in it but how much truth is hard to say as that will go off each of our different experiences. I never thought the gringo tax was as bad as people made out. It never once happened to me in a shop or restaurant but builders, handymen and computer repairs you have to beware.
Taxis can be very hit and miss. I've had plenty of taxi app drivers try to over charge me even though the app states a fix price and I would say 30% of the time I've paid over the price for a taxi, but you just have to give in and pay the extra as you'll be stood there all day otherwise. If you know the area and general fees for that place well you can call the taxi out on gringo taxing and they'll usually agree a reasonable price. It's when you don't know the route that you get caught out on being over charged.
My in-laws do however still hide me round the corner when flagging down a taxi, once the price has been agreed then I get the wave for me to step out!

How you are treated depends on which neighbourhood you are in maybe. There's plenty of neighbourhoods in Lima where no one is going to care that you are a foreigner when it comes to money as they'll be doing perfectly fine themselves. In fact the defining characteristics is that you will be judged on is your class in those places. You will find that being foreign will see people or shop keepers being a lot nicer and interested in you. But you do sometimes have to put up with Gringo hate because of the Spanish colonial history you won't get much love!

10 years ago I would strongly agree with being seen as a target for money in almost any part of Lima but not any more. It's a strong sign of just how much the economy and living standards in Peru have changed over the past ten years. When I first moved here at the end of 2008 being harassed for money was so common, just walking down Av. Larco would see you get harassed at least ten or twelve times an hour, and not just the polite begging I mean the full on following you down the road constantly asking for cash. Since 2012 I doubt I've been asked for money more than four times and two of those times were by that South African woman that has been trying to scam people in Miraflores!
Begging at traffic lights almost rarely happens now either!! You couldn't stop at a set of lights without a face pressed up against the window and shaking candy at you with an aggressive sales pitch!

The crime part, well it's South America, there is always going to be crime and nothing is really going to change that.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby mrsteak » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:25 pm

One more thing about the new young generation in Peru:

it is good by itself that your GF intents to study something. However be aware that public universities have a very low standard in Peru. I looked at it once at even the best private university from Peru (iirc la catolica or so) was around place 1300 on the international university ranking. The best from Spain was around place 400 or so. The best from Germany was place 50. The first 10 were all US and UK universities plus one from Switzerland (ETH). That should give you some idea. Expect an average public university from Lima be place 3000 or so.

The problem with the young people in Peru is that there is a wave of young people studying phony professions. Worth nothing on international market. Same thing happened e.g. in Mexico and now all the MSc from Mexico are in search for cleaning jobs in EU... the governments create education opportunities but do not create the jobs / infrastructure / do not invest into advanced industry to benefit from having people finishing studies.
User avatar
DutchPat
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:47 am

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby DutchPat » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:46 pm

Alan wrote:
mrsteak wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:The problem is he WILL be known as something - and this is a problem by itself in Peru. Once people perceive you as non-local you are always a kind of target. The only way to avoid higher risk in Lima is to look as an average, poor, not worth to be robbed Peruvian.


Another half-truth.

As a foreigner, you are sometimes targetted for crime and may be asked to pay the so-called gringo tax (the occassional taxi driver... in my experience 1 in 20... who jacks up the quoted price), but foreigners are also given opportunities because of their status as foreigners. Particularly in teaching and sales.

I was aware of teaching opportunities in Peru, but could you elaborate on the sales part?
User avatar
DutchPat
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:47 am

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby DutchPat » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:48 pm

mrsteak wrote:One more thing about the new young generation in Peru:

it is good by itself that your GF intents to study something. However be aware that public universities have a very low standard in Peru. I looked at it once at even the best private university from Peru (iirc la catolica or so) was around place 1300 on the international university ranking. The best from Spain was around place 400 or so. The best from Germany was place 50. The first 10 were all US and UK universities plus one from Switzerland (ETH). That should give you some idea. Expect an average public university from Lima be place 3000 or so.

The problem with the young people in Peru is that there is a wave of young people studying phony professions. Worth nothing on international market. Same thing happened e.g. in Mexico and now all the MSc from Mexico are in search for cleaning jobs in EU... the governments create education opportunities but do not create the jobs / infrastructure / do not invest into advanced industry to benefit from having people finishing studies.

I know what you are trying to say and yes the education is rated lower in comparison to EU countries. But can you blame the students for trying to achieve something their parents were not able to do so?
User avatar
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 748
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:36 am

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:15 pm

DutchPat wrote:
Alan wrote:
mrsteak wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:The problem is he WILL be known as something - and this is a problem by itself in Peru. Once people perceive you as non-local you are always a kind of target. The only way to avoid higher risk in Lima is to look as an average, poor, not worth to be robbed Peruvian.


Another half-truth.

As a foreigner, you are sometimes targetted for crime and may be asked to pay the so-called gringo tax (the occassional taxi driver... in my experience 1 in 20... who jacks up the quoted price), but foreigners are also given opportunities because of their status as foreigners. Particularly in teaching and sales.

I was aware of teaching opportunities in Peru, but could you elaborate on the sales part?


If you check the jobs section on expatperu and livinginperu you'll regularly find sales jobs advertised. They ask you have a degree so you'll be qualified to apply

Usually the jobs are call centers to North America, not all are sales jobs some might be services. A lot of the call centre jobs are involved in holidays to Peru and South America. You'll find most jobs won't state the wages in the advertisements (usually they aren't that great) but the wages will start off at $300 - $500 a month and then include your commission on top. You could be able to make $900 to $1000 in the better paid jobs. Expect to work six days maybe and eight to ten hours during the week. If you start off on a poor paid job maybe stick it out until you find something better.
User avatar
SilverbackPeru
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 748
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:36 am

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby SilverbackPeru » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:28 pm

I don't think anyone has mentioned teaching English online as a job. Teaching online will make you a lot more than class room teaching in Lima.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Options for a bachelor graduate in Lima

Postby mrsteak » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:46 am

DutchPat wrote:I know what you are trying to say and yes the education is rated lower in comparison to EU countries. But can you blame the students for trying to achieve something their parents were not able to do so?


I do not blame anybody. Your problem might be only that the grades from Peru are not so great abroad if one day maybe you want to live with your GF outside of Peru.

Believe me other countries have already seen waves of phony grades from universities. And it is a huge problem e.g. in many EU countries. If not even they are able to accommodate such amounts of phony bachelors and masters, having a broad industrial base, what you think is the future of these graduates in a country that does not produce anything basically? It is a vicious circle. Universities may teach you some theory but then you need a place of work. Majority of modern jobs require expensive industrial base to work in any business. You cannot take $1000 and e.g. start a semiconductor research lab in your garage. No way. The industry that rocks the global markets require billions of investment to ever keep up with the international competition. So please tell me what should e.g. an electric engineer work in Peru? Yeah he can find a job maybe for hidroelectrica and repair / maintain their generators/lines etc, however he will NEVER have any opportunities to work in his profession that would be available to him in an industrialized country. That basically closes the vicious circle. You are trapped inside a system that does not allow you to expand outside of the peruvian so called economy.

I have a friend in a caribbean island and those islands are full of scrap. He would like to start a recycling business but the investment required into smallest of the automated scrap sorting machines is around $500.000 plus probably another $500.000 in customs. Being trapped on that island basically kills him the possibility to start that business as he cannot start "small". Just an example. Same holds for Lima. Why is there no recycling company that would for example recycle old cars in Lima? There isn't because it cannot compete on international market. Even if you do the investment your product (metal / plastic granulate) will not sell on international market because you will have to overcharge the customers for the overpriced cost of running this business in Lima. Got my point? Otherwise you would need to sell your stuff locally but there are no any heed that could melt your metal locally. Why not? Because there is no business selling any scrap metal locally. Vicious circle again.

In Peru you can only do 2 types of business: import stuff that is missing in Peru and sell it super expensive in Lima. OR you do some basic production, like furnitures, clothes, food, stuff that does not need lot of imported goods (neither for machinery nor for the input). Otherwise you will not succeed here.

Return to “Expat Information”

cron

Login  •  Register