Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Electricians in Lima

Postby mrsteak » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:27 pm

Be careful...

Example of how "electricians" work in Peru:

This piece of wire with socket has been dissected from our roof light cabling. The wires have been just twisted together and isolated with cheap black tape. After a while such "connection" starts to oxidate and the place will start to heat eventually burning your house. I was noticing some "hot" smell in our apartment so finally I decided to investigate and have found this very dangerous installation.

I suppose it will be the common case how electrical works are done in Lima (why do you thing there are so many firebrands in Lima?).

If you want be sure that your electrician is doing correct work ask him to work only using professional tools. Automatic latching pliers for crimping, Wago joints, cable shoes, strain relief, RCD and correct equipotential routing should be words know to him. Otherwise expect your place to burn one or another day.

toughrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Electricians in Lima

Postby toughrider » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:38 pm

I am also wondering why there aren't more housefires due to short circuits in Peru.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:35 pm

toughrider wrote:I am also wondering why there aren't more housefires due to short circuits in Peru.

there are. Every evening in the news you see some place in Lima burning. You want more?
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:21 pm

Are you sure you take that picture ? It looks like an stock photo got from Internet
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:15 pm

We had a terrible experience once with an electrician who made canals in our ceiling and embedded wire without any tubing. We found out later.

It's one of those industries that still has way too much informality, so ask for recommendations. Over time though, we found a reliable guy who works really well.
toughrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby toughrider » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:06 pm

Alan wrote:We had a terrible experience once with an electrician who made canals in our ceiling and embedded wire without any tubing. We found out later.

It's one of those industries that still has way too much informality, so ask for recommendations. Over time though, we found a reliable guy who works really well.

Sodimac runs free workshops where you learn to do it yourself.

I did all jobs around the house myself and the quality was the best and much cheaper than hiring one of those ''haga todos''.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:55 pm

windsportinperu wrote:Are you sure you take that picture ? It looks like an stock photo got from Internet

yeah I took it. And the ceiling was full of these "junctions" (aka hidden fire triggers).

Ask anyone here if he has e.g. an RCD in his home/flat. It is for me obligatory if you have kids. So far I did not see any even in new constructions (maybe some industries install an RCD but for sure not in residential).
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:17 pm

mrsteak wrote: an RCD in his home/flat. .

RCD is obligatory in any house of building. We have at least one, but could have 2 or more

The obligatory one is installed by the electricity provider (EDELNOR, EDELSUR, etc). It is located inside the "box" where every months a guy write down the electric energy consumption. It is outside of the house.

You may have some others RCD (interruptor termomagnetico), installed inside of your house or appartment. For example if you have a 4 burner electric stove
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:20 pm

Alan wrote:We had a terrible experience once with an electrician who made canals in our ceiling and embedded wire without any tubing. We found out later.

Even in EU tubing is not required by law if you use the proper cable. Sometimes they even embed the cable into cement to avoid the cost of tubing. If done properly it will not cause you any issues, but what happens if you want to extend the installation or maybe accidentally drill a cable? Then you have a mess... so I would always insist on tubing.

Self-made electricians in Peru are like suicide bombers IMO. Of course you can learn it itself but first of all you need a place that will teach you how it has to be done. I can hardly see it given in Peru, these self-made electricians just copy&paste the bad way of doing things that they look up from their "masters". I'm saying this despite of being a self-made electrician LOL :mrgreen:

Alan: I would even make your electrical installation for you if I had time. I did it already in my own properties that I own outside of this country, however I did it not to save costs. I did it just because I wanted it done correctly :mrgreen: I also did solar installations on my self (photovoltaic).
I have a degree in electrical engineering, but I do not work as electrician - no time to work this kind of stuff, really.

In the EU I'm capable to deliver quality as in this picture:

I will tell you what is the problem in this country: you just do not find the necessary utensils here in Peru. You can of course import them but it will be then very expensive. It starts with the wires, they are far away from the quality of material sold in EU (isolation). You will hardly find the tools (crimping tools, crimp materials, DIN rail connectors etc). Forget about Wagos. It is really retarded. If you have to work with local material then any electrician will deliver you only "local" quality.

In Spain you can walk to any bigger Chinese store and buy electrician tools / materials that any self-made electrician in Peru can only dream of. They are not good quality tools but usually sufficient to do decent jobs. Of course you can buy Knippex or so - if you have to make your money with your work it is probably worth the $$$money.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:26 pm

windsportinperu wrote:
mrsteak wrote: an RCD in his home/flat. .

RCD is obligatory in any house of building. We have at least one, but could have 2 or more

forget it. Even if there is an RCD they will be a 500mA, maybe a 300mA one - if ever. It is meant as "fire protection" but it will not protect any humans. Believe me.

I'm sure here in Surco we have none. I can make a short on one phase and nothing will go out except the MCB at 16A. Otherwise we would have the Luz del Sur permanently here resetting their RCDs outside LOL.

The installation is highly illegal / dangerous if taken by european norms, there is even no neutral wire in our house. Instead it was wired between two hot wires of the 380V three-phase coming from outside. You think Luz del Sur does not know? LOL.
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:43 pm

One more thing: do you know where the majority of electricity installation material in Peru come from? It comes from Costa Rica yeah. If I had property here I would not accept that it is cabled with material from CR (I'm classist, sexist and racist as Alan remarked, this time with respect to installation material). I would instead replace it with material coming from some, in this aspect, reputable country.
fanning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby fanning » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:05 pm

An RCD is in spanish a 'Interruptor Diferencial', they are widely available. ( And required by Defensa Civil, if you pass the certification )
If you install new cabling, please use 'NH-80' cable, not the THW. The NH-80 is 'zero halógeno', so in case of fire, it won't catch fire ..

It is required by Defensa Civil for new installations, so please use that kind of wiring. It is a bit more expensive than THW, but more secure.

Return to “Expat Information”

Login  •  Register