AYACUCHO

Answers to your qestions about moving to, and living in, Peru,
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

AYACUCHO

Postby woodchuck » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:50 am

Seeking expats who have lived or now live in Ayacucho.
My Peruvian wife & I are considering moving there; any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
If you know anyone going to Ayacucho for a vacation, etc. & they have a car, please pass along this post.
Thanks in advance for your time & co-operation.

PS - SUGGESTION - it would be great to have a database of members/readers & where they live (or travel on a regular basis). What do you think Alan???
Personal email if you need more info - [email protected]
Last edited by woodchuck on Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: AYACUCHO

Postby mrsteak » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:57 am

Is it any nice to live there?

Maybe you could share your motivation for going to Ayacucho?!
Slippin' Jimmy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:54 am

Ahhhhhhhhh choooooo!!
Gesundheit!!
When I see the word, for some reason I think of a sneeze lol but seriously, I'd think anywhere away from the congestion and craziness of Lima would be an improvement.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:11 pm

Why my Peruvian wife & I are considering Ayacucho:
1. Cooler weather with very minimal humidity year-round.
2. Real estate is substantially cheaper with many green areas (vs. so much desert in Lima).
3. Traffic congestion is at a minimum even in the city areas.
4. FRESH AIR: MINIMAL FUMES/SMELLS FROM TRAFFIC.

I am retired, so I don't need the complexities of a job - finding one or keeping one.
The lifestyle is not for everyone: expert medical care is lacking.
Ayacucho does have an airport (1 hour) it also has fairly good roads thru the mountains (10 hours).

Contact me by email if you need more info - [email protected]
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:24 pm

woodchuck wrote:1. Cooler weather with very minimal humidity year-round.
2. Real estate is substantially cheaper with many green areas (vs. so much desert in Lima).
3. Traffic congestion is at a minimum even in the city areas.
4. FRESH AIR: MINIMAL FUMES/SMELLS FROM TRAFFIC.

No dengue there? Yellow fever? and all the other tropical problems...?

In that sense the advantage of Lima is the dirt, not even mosquitos breed here! If the larvae ever mature they come out without wings and cannot fly
jumpinjack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jumpinjack » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:01 pm

Jeez mrstreak never thought about that, it is true. I am an avid bike rider, I would never ride bicycle in Lima because of the air and lack of auto emission controls, to say nothing of the lack of respect Peruvian drivers give to others.
Alpineprince
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alpineprince » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:12 pm

Good luck to you and your wife! At 9,000 ft and home of the shining path movement, I will take a pass.
69roadrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby 69roadrunner » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:23 pm

When was the last time you read a newspaper?
Alan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Alan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:31 pm

Alpineprince wrote:Good luck to you and your wife! At 9,000 ft and home of the shining path movement, I will take a pass.

To be fair, the Shining Path is long gone and the weather isn't really that bad, but yeah,but the drive there goes through some really high altiplano which needs to be considered if altitude sickness is an issue,

MesMáxima / Mínima(°C)

enero 26° / 10°
febrero 26° / 10°
marzo 26° / 10°
abril 27° / 10°
mayo 27° / 9°
junio 27° / 7°
julio 26° / 7°
agosto 27° / 8°
septiembre 28° / 9°
octubre 28° / 10°
noviembre 29° / 11°
diciembre 27° / 11°

But, in my experience, it is a really quiet place with not a lot going on. If you want peace and quiet, you could do worse... if you want something close to city life, you'd do better in Chiclayo, Arequipa or Trujillo. I'd never live there myself, but kudos for you for considering it.

Why not rent for a couple months to see if you like it?
toughrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby toughrider » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:06 am

Alan wrote: If you want peace and quiet, you could do worse... if you want something close to city life, you'd do better in Chiclayo, Arequipa or Trujillo. I'd never live there myself, but kudos for you for considering it.

Arequipa is a nice city. Beautiful restored Spanish style buildings but the traffic is horrendous and expensive.
Chiclayo and Trujillo are crime ridden. It's ok and worth to visit it for a few days but I wouldn't stay their long term.

Tarapoto and Pucallpa are better options. They are safe, clean and affordable to live. Nice weather all year round, friendly people and no traffic congestions as most people drive motorbikes. A relaxed stress free lifestyle awaits you. Food and housing is very cheap over there.
Both cities have supermarkets, loads of mercados and you can buy anything you need over there. And the scenery is beautiful.
Those cities are the ''El Dorado'' of Peru.

They both have a good airport with several flights a day to Lima.
FDiH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FDiH » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:15 am

I live in Huanuco, another small region capital, similar in size. I often hear/read that medical facilities in the region's capital cities is not good. Perhaps this was the case 10-20 years ago, nowadays medical facilities are more than adequate. If you want more options for non-urgent medical matters you can always hop on a plane to Lima. So far I never had to opt to outside of Huanuco.
Another comment I often read is that you have far less choice in entertainment, international dining, shopping, etc. This is true. Outside of Peru's major cities (500+ K inhabitants) you'll usually only find one or two malls per city. In Huanuco there are limited options in terms of quality dining and wining (I love eating out). If you are into mediocre Peruvian food than you'll have the same options as anywhere else in Peru. But compared to Lima, with its good quality restaurants, dining in the country is very low level. Same goes for shopping (food and clothes), entertainment, etc.
Real estate is indeed interesting. Huanuco has been the fastest growing city in Peru for a while. A lot of 'outsiders' (as they call them here) are investing in RE in the city and region. Although prices have gone up a lot, outside of the city you can still buy hectares of land for living (and farming :) prices are from PEN 40k and up for a hectare. In the city itself, expect to pay up to a million US$ in a decent area for a house. A house at the Malecon (river view) go for much more than that. Note that the houses are often 300-500 square meters. Big enough for a large family. Apartments are a lot less expensive.
The benefits of cleaner air, better climate, less traffic, less pollution (although a lot of mining in the area), options to go into the jungle/mountains nearby - all good points for regional live.
I fully agree with Alan's comment to rent a place for a few months and see what live in the countries smaller cities is like. If you are into a no fuzz quiet life then perhaps Ayacucho is a good choice for you.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:57 am

Thanks for all your comments & suggestions.
My Peruvian wife & I will be renting for a minimum of 3-6 months.
Relocating to a vastly different area (10+ hours away) is expensive & intimidating.
We would rather have a "small town atmosphere" vs. "Lima-life"; we will gladly give up a few perks that are not important to us.
We want to have enough land to have a shelter for stray/abandoned cats & dogs; later larger animals.
With our limited finances, we could never accomplish this in any urban city in Peru.
Thanks again & keep the comments/suggestions coming; our plans are not set in stone...
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:11 pm

My wife has friends in Tarapoto; it is a beautiful city but gets very hot at times.
I die in the heat & humidity of Lima, that's why we seek a cooler area.
I have no info on Pucallpa; anyone wish to share some comments?
Thanks to all...
Last edited by woodchuck on Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
toughrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby toughrider » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:42 pm

woodchuck wrote:My wife has friends in Tarapoto; it is a beautiful city but gets very hot at times.t
I die in the heat & humidity of Lima, that's why we seek a cooler area.
I have no info on Pucallpa; anyone wish to share some comments?
Thanks to all...

La Banda de Shilcayo and Morales can be hot but if you live in la partida alta of Tarapoto then it's cooler. It often can get cold.

In November, I would like to visit Ayacucho, Huanuco, Andahuaylas. I haven't been to that part of Peru yet. On the pictures, it looks like some parts of England.
woodchuck
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby woodchuck » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:40 am

Thanks for the info on Tarapoto.
Maybe we will take a few days & explore as my wife has friends there.
Is the area you mention cooler all year round?
We appreciate all the comments.
toughrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby toughrider » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:23 am

woodchuck wrote:Thanks for the info on Tarapoto.
Maybe we will take a few days & explore as my wife has friends there.
Is the area you mention cooler all year round?
We appreciate all the comments.

Tarapoto has the same weather all year round. December and January generally is warmer as there's less rain. But I had Decembers when it rained every day.
After dark the temperature drops in la partida alta. But don't expect snow.
La partida alta is cheap to live. You can buy a basic house up there for 10000-20000 soles. A bit nicer house for 50000 soles.
windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:41 pm

I suggest the OP, to investigate some beach-town located across the coast as Malabrigo, Ilo, or Mejia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icu-d7oAkW4
mrsteak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby mrsteak » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:54 am

windsportinperu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby windsportinperu » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:31 am

mrsteak